Armed motorcycle robbers arrested for Bangkok attack

rooster59

Armed motorcycle robbers arrested for Bangkok attack

robber.PNG

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- Police in Bangkok have announced the arrest of two north easterners responsible for shooting at a man on a motorcycle and stealing his bike. They have been charged with attempted murder.

Piyawat Sisan, 38, was hit in the left shoulder as he was riding his bike near the BTS on the Krung Thonburi Road in the early hours ofWednesday morning. He came off his bike in the attack.

One of the robbers left him lying in the middle of the road and fled on his bike. His accomplice on the bike that was following the victim also drove off into the night.

Samrae police paraded the two men who admitted to the crime. They were Roi-Et native Chanachon Suthithip or "Ort", 23, and Thirasak Laosri or "An", 23, from Surin.

Police took a gun, ten bullets, a phone and a motorcycle into evidence. The robbers were apprehended using clear CCTV footage.

In their defense they said that they had intended the shot to be a warning but it had hit the victim. They said they sold the bike for 10,000 baht to a man called "Yeun" in Soi Thian Thale 28 and split the proceeds to go and buy drugs.

They were found to have previous drug related offences and admitted to a string of similar robberies.

They were both charged with attempted murder and armed robbery as well as other firearms offences and detained while police promised to find the fence who bought the bike.

The press conference featured the familiar parade of suspects despite the edict issued last week by the prime minister calling for an end to such practices.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-10

Two north easterners!  Does anyone else see what I'm seeing in the use of "two north easterners" as in the context above? To me it throws up ugly connotations - of regional bias, racism, labeling, even racial profiling. It's not the offering of the fact that they come from a north eastern province, but rather in the way that these words are used - I repeat, as in the context above.

"Two men from the north eastern province of Surin" is more acceptable. It's a subtle but important difference.

I know many readers won't see anything wrong in it, but I have to deal with politically correct issues like this almost every day, and feel that the presentation of that information could have been better.

Try not to get too uptight in your replies.

39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

robber.PNG

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Finger, the most powerful handfinger in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

19 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Two north easterners!  Does anyone else see what I'm seeing in the use of "two north easterners" as in the context above? To me it throws up ugly connotations - of regional bias, racism, labeling, even racial profiling. It's not the offering of the fact that they come from a north eastern province, but rather in the way that these words are used - I repeat, as in the context above.

"Two men from the north eastern province of Surin" is more acceptable. It's a subtle but important difference.

I know many readers won't see anything wrong in it, but I have to deal with politically correct issues like this almost every day, and feel that the presentation of that information could have been better.

Perhaps you shouldn't get too uptight in your interpretation of the news report that was obviously translated from Thai.

15 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Perhaps you shouldn't get too uptight in your interpretation of the news report that was obviously translated from Thai.

You have a comprehension problem - there is nothing "uptight" in my posting, merely observation and opinion. As I said, I deal with these issues every day and often have to be one step ahead before the politically correct crowd start getting wound up. 

Just FYI, the translation from Thai is not an excuse  - won't stand up in a court of law, so to speak. 

Edited by Dexlowe
added one word

3 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

You have a comprehension problem - there is nothing "uptight" in my posting, merely observation and opinion. As I said, I deal with these issues every day and often have to be one step ahead before the politically correct start getting wound up. 

Just FYI, the translation from Thai is not an excuse  - won't stand up in a court of law, so to speak. 

I happen to agree with you and your point. The  use of the word "northeasterners" tends to conjure up negative images in some minds. They might as easily have said "two young men from  Roi Et & Surin.".

It was the first thing that crossed my mind about the article..

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

So much for Prayuth' ban on exposing suspects to the media............seems no-one really cares....as usual!

Those morons who shoot on a passerby to steal his bike are a little more than "suspects" since they admitted the crime, I guess there is no doubts in this case, so why not:).  

12 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Those morons who shoot on a passerby to steal his bike are a little more than "suspects" since they admitted the crime, I guess there is no doubts in this case, so why not:).  

you have to make the penalties  harsh otherwise more more tend to take a chance.

12 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Like it or not they are, in countries where the rule is law means something, suspects until formally convicted in a court.

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I happen to agree with you and your point. The  use of the word "northeasterners" tends to conjure up negative images in some minds. They might as easily have said "two young men from  Roi Et & Surin.".

It was the first thing that crossed my mind about the article..

They could also just say 'two young men'. Why say where they are from?

9 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Finger, the most powerful handfinger in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Brilliant! I just watched that movie again the other day, brought back some wonderful memories. John Callahan, Dirty Harry. Clint Eastwood, you were the business.

The linked Thai article from the Daily News doesn't refer to them as North Easterners (kon isan). Rather it just states the provinces they hail from: Surin and Roi Et. Possibly more than one article was used in the translation.
Just out of interest, the original headline was:
Drug Addicts High on Crystal Meth Shoot Motorcyclist and Steal his Bike - Looking for Money to Buy Drugs

Edited by katana

7 hours ago, dbrenn said:

They could also just say 'two young men'. Why say where they are from?

Why not??

These boys just shot a passing motocy-driver and all you guys are whining about is the fact they mentioned they came from the NE? Who cares??

I hope they get a very long time in jail, what an idiots.....And they even sold the bike for 10k baht....total morons they are...even becoming a monk can't fix this....

On 9/10/2016 at 1:39 PM, Dexlowe said:

Yes i noticed that and i am totalLy anti-PC