Picture Hooks:

JuniorExPat

I'm a dab hand at blowing lumps of plaster off the wall when trying to hammer a nail in - I really need to find some decent picture hooks but have not been able to spot any on my shopping travels. Has anyone else found any?

The ones I would like to find I remember from the UK as being a solid single piece of white plastic with a round fixing 'head', this part had a larger guide pin in the middle with four smaller pins around the edge . . . . or just regular brass picture hooks would be good!

Any clues, anyone?

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Edited by JuniorExPat

This is what I use and bought at Tesco Lotus.

post-566-1164427046_thumb.jpg

These are made to be used on tiled walls (as far as I've been able to tell) at the junction of four tiles, and hammered into the grouting between the tiles. I've used them myself on regular cement walls for small, lightweight hangings though.

For larger hangings, be they pictures or tapestries, etc., I've found that drilling a hole with an impact drill and using screw anchors and screws keeps more plaster on the wall than on the floor. Keeps more pictures on the wall than on the floor too. :o

The Fly Fisherman

I'm a dab hand at blowing lumps of plaster off the wall when trying to hammer a nail in - I really need to find some decent picture hooks

Any clues, anyone?

JxP

be sure that you have concrete nails, not regular ones for wood.

If you drill a small pilot hole, the nails go in easier and do not blow the plaster off

Home Pro might have some hooks, I have not looked for them quite a while.

I'm a dab hand at blowing lumps of plaster off the wall when trying to hammer a nail in - I really need to find some decent picture hooks but have not been able to spot any on my shopping travels. Has anyone else found any?

The ones I would like to find I remember from the UK as being a solid single piece of white plastic with a round fixing 'head', this part had a larger guide pin in the middle with four smaller pins around the edge . . . . or just regular brass picture hooks would be good!

Any clues, anyone?

Thanks in advance,

JxP

You could try one of the many framing shops around . I haven't actually asked them , but think that the brass ones come with the hanging kits they install on the frames .

I go for screws and plugs and an impact drill . :o

Brass hanging pieces with typically 2 tiny nails may work but dependant on quality of concrete and weight of picture in question but much better to go with plug and srew as suggested. Homepro have a Black and Decker drill set in a case with a dozen other pieces including hammer,pliers plugs and screws for 2,000baht which is pretty handy. They also sell plugs and screws seperately.

Brass hanging pieces with typically 2 tiny nails may work but dependant on quality of concrete and weight of picture

Right. Problem is that interior plaster here is thick and hard, same as exterior. Interior plaster in the west is much softer and easier to put nails into without cracking out a big sloppy hole.