Vientiane Visa Run

apply in the morning on day 1,and pick up in the afternoon on day 2.avoid the touts outside who try to sell you an application form or other useless services,many farang fall for that.you will need photocopies of your passport also,these can be obtained next door to the thai embassy.

I have gotten a 90 day tourist visa in the past from Vientiane. When they ask how long you want to stay, say 90 days.

Hmm...What about your passport?How long are you admitted to stay :o

The visa I got was good for 90 days without an extension. After 60 days, I did a visa run to Poi Pet. I used my 1 re-entry to re-enter Thailand for 30 more days (did not pay anything). 30 days later, that 90 day visa expired and I needed a new visa. I went back to Vientiane for a new visa.

It's true, with a tourist visa, you can only stay in Thailand for 60 days max. But it doesn't mean that the 90 day visa is invalid after 60 days. You only have to leave and come back.

My first tourist visa to Thailand was valid for 180 days. It was issued in Los Angeles. But Vientiane would not issue me a tourist visa for no more than 90 days.

Edited by richard10365

Your visa was used when you entered Thailand the first time. But you could have received a 30 day extension for 1,900 baht rather than making a border run for an entry without visa (which is what you did). Your tourist visa was for one entry only and you had already used it so when you departed and returned after 60 days you did not have a valid visa.

Your visa was used when you entered Thailand the first time. But you could have received a 30 day extension for 1,900 baht rather than making a border run for an entry without visa (which is what you did). Your tourist visa was for one entry only and you had already used it so when you departed and returned after 60 days you did not have a valid visa.

I had 6 tourist visas which I went through the same procedure every time. The first one had 3 entries. All the rest had 1 entry. Immigration at Aranyapreth or Mai Sai let me enter for free every time.

I imagine if the visa was invalid, after 6 tourist visas, each time I would have paid overstay fines or worse been arrested and deported. So the visa must have been valid.

People have been living in Thailand for decades never having a visa. That is the whole reason for the current crackdown. They just departed and entered again and received a new 30 day permitted to stay stamp.

The advantage of the visa is that you do not have to make a border crossing for up to 3 months stay - you get a 60 day stamp when you use the visa entry and then you visit immigration for 1 hour to obtain anther 30 days by filling out a form and paying 1,900 baht.

I have gotten a 90 day tourist visa in the past from Vientiane. When they ask how long you want to stay, say 90 days.

Hmm...What about your passport?How long are you admitted to stay :o

The visa I got was good for 90 days without an extension. After 60 days, I did a visa run to Poi Pet. I used my 1 re-entry to re-enter Thailand for 30 more days (did not pay anything). 30 days later, that 90 day visa expired and I needed a new visa. I went back to Vientiane for a new visa.

It's true, with a tourist visa, you can only stay in Thailand for 60 days max. But it doesn't mean that the 90 day visa is invalid after 60 days. You only have to leave and come back.

My first tourist visa to Thailand was valid for 180 days. It was issued in Los Angeles. But Vientiane would not issue me a tourist visa for no more than 90 days.

When you came into Thailand with your 1-entry TV, did you not get a stamp on your TV "USED"?

When I've come in on 2 and 3 entry tourist visas, they mark each entry with number and date and when you've used your last entry, it's stamped "USED".

Edited by tropo

To the OP : you might like to look at the thread at

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95244

for some good info on Vientiane.

To knowledgeable posters : you might also be kind enough to see if you can anwer my question there, about getting the visa for Laos.

An aside : Be careful to check if the date on the tourist visa (sticker), which gets stamped "USED" on entry to Thailand is the same as the date on the other stamp given at the same time. The other stamp may give less time, and this is the one that matters.