Local Hospital White Clinic card

jhwest

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I have a local plastic white local hospital card and has my number and name and on the back it states this is your permanent card and everytime you visit the clinic, please bring this along with you.

I am led to believe that I am covered and do not need any extra medical insurance, but thinking of a local Thai one in any case.

Anyone who has experience of this card and have indeed used it and would appreciate any help on this.

I have used it for a couple of walk ins and a few people stating most things are covered. Anyone know please?

Thanks

J West 

Are you employed and covered by Thai  Social Security?  (there would be small payroll deductions for this)

Can you post a pix of the card with your name etc blacked out?

As I am unsure if this is simply  a h spital patient registration card (which confers no coverage) or a SS hospital registration card (which covers you for everything, but only at that hospital or a higher level facility that they refer you to).

Hi  Sheryl

Unfortunately I can not post this and yes indeed did work for the local schools, but the card and all the titles in Green   and gives an O.P.D No, my name and age and on the back states this is your permanent clinic card and please bring it, every time you visit the clinic.

I have used it on a couple of occasions and a very small charge.

Yes was told and think that cover is for everything and not sure if only for basic and it was very difficult to obtain, but my Thai wife told  them that I had worked at the local schools and they seemed to change their mind and issued me with this plastic card.

Edited by jhwest
misspel

It is sounding like all you have is a hospital registration card. All this does is assign you a number that is used to link to your hospital records, it has nothing to do with insurance coverage.

All hospitals issue such cards and they always state that you should bring it with you, though you will not be denied care if you don't - it will just make a hassle for them in tracking you down in the system.

If you worked in government schools you should have been enrolled  in the Social Security scheme and a card would have been issued to you by your employer, with monthly deductions from your salary.  It cannot be issued directly by a hospital (though under the system you have to be registered at just one hospital, of which there is a choice). If one is under the scheme for 13 consecutive months there is an option of continuing it for life, even after you stop working, as long as you keep up the monthly  payments yourself.

It is  not sounding like any of the above happened in your case and unfortunately if you are no longer working there is nothing you can do now to get under SS. (If you are still working, talk to the school HR people and ask why you haven't been enrolled in SS, and insist upon it.).

You will find that Thais are not well informed re health benefits/insurance for foreigners as the  system for Thai citizens is different. Foreigners are not eligible for coverage under the The universal coverage (AKA "30 baht" or "gold card" ) scheme. Occasionally, mostly in small hospitals upcountry, a government hospital is so unused to having foreigners that they have really no system in place to collect fees and will waive them. You can be quite sure this would not happen if you had a serious illness or accident  requiring prolonged hospitalization or referral to a higher level facility.

If by some chance your wife is a civil servant, then as her spouse yopu are covered under the SS scheme for civil servants. Not the case with SS system for people employed in the private sector.

In short, seems you have no coverage, you are simply registered as a patient, which is of no help in paying the bills. You need to get private insurance, and yes, it is expensive. The only alternative would be if you are under the age of 60 now and can get re-employed, in which case you could get under the SS system, and after 13 years maintain it for life by keeping up the payments, which are quite reasonable.

"It's strange so many differing opinions, but thank you so much"

For the limited info you provided you got really good advice.  Don't discount it because it's not what you wanted to hear.

It's not unusual for a foreigner to think they have some kind of special coverage when their care so far has cost so little.