Artists travel around Thailand in Khon costumes to urge Thais to vacation in their own country (VIDEO)

webfact

Artists travel around Thailand in Khon costumes to urge Thais to vacation in their own country (VIDEO)

By Coconuts Bangkok

t1_3.jpg

Photo: Film Petcharut/Facebook

BANGKOK: -- A group of Thai artists traveled around Thailand in Khon costumes to create a visually-stunning music video to promote domestic tourism.

The video produced by the group, called “Giants invite you to visit Thailand,” was released over the weekend. It features Thotsakan and three other characters from the epic taleRamakien, as well as singers from The Voice Thailand — Bongkoch “Film” Jarerntum and Tachai “Geng” Prathumwan.

Obviously, Thotsakan, the King of Demons of Lanka, who has ten faces and twenty arms, has decided to take a break from kidnapping the woman of his dreams to do some sightseeing in Thailand with a few of his friends.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/14/artists-travel-around-thailand-khon-costumes-urge-thais-vacation-their-own-country-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-14

Nearly all the Thais I work with take vacations abroad now. Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, UK etc. It's the highlight of their year. Quite a few are looking for overseas work following these trips and a couple have been successful and gone to work in Japan on long term assignments. There seems to be a growing knowledge in Thailand that it's a big world out there beyond those borders, and some of it is pretty awesome by comparison.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.  I think most people think of a vacation as a chance to experience something out of their day-to-day routine like the amazing castles and cathedrals of Western Europe, the hundreds of acres of museums in Washington, the ski slopes of New Zealand or the deliciously different cuisine of, well any other country.  I've not been to the north but I have been south, east and west Thailand and what did I see?  Temples, temples and more temples.  Not to say that temples aren't great but when you've seen a hundred in your back yard, the lure of hundred thousand more doesn't really do it for me.

[edit]

I am reminded of a recent experience by one of my former students who went to the USA for the first time.  He stayed in Kansas City, of all places.  He didn't do anything "touristy", he just wanted to experience the western way of living.  Going to restaurants because there are no noodle carts, wearing your shoes inside the house, clean streets that don't flood when it rains, actual sidewalks that you can walk on without stepping in dog droppings.  He didn't really do anything aside from live there with his extended family, but he had an amazing time and can't wait to go back.

Like him, some people enjoy the culture shock.

Edited by attrayant