New landlord wants 2 months deposit in advance

7 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

This is Lieland....kiss the deposit goodbye....?

Never once have I lost a deposit. The only things are the usual 500 - 1000 baht cleaning fee which is expected. I don't know what kind of landlords you all rent from but everyone I know has always received their deposit back in full as long as they pay their rent on time and don't destroy the place.

7 hours ago, teacherpaul said:

How can you not know? Were you in a coma?

i was in oz when my then girlfriend moved out and i do not know what happened to the money. we never had a contract or official lease, the rent was paid in cash to the brother of the owner etc. etc., a typical thai thing.

when i tried to talk about it after it was not conclusive and perhaps not important enough to make a big deal out of it. some things are difficult - and others are easy...

as my wife always says: everyone no same.

I don't know. I don't see why you can't sign the contract and make the deposit now, and also get the keys, as obviously she is not going to get anyone to move in for less than a month. That is what I did when I moved from Pattaya to Udon Thani. She will agree to it if you give her some cash now. 

The standard here seems to be 2 months damaged deposit plus first months rent. If you can chisel that down to one months damage deposit then this is well advised. The chances of getting your deposit back are slim. Especially if she is in need of money. But at least with only one months damage deposit you can refuse to pay your last months rent when you plan to move out, and you are not into her for anything then. 

On 16/9/2559 at 9:02 PM, louse1953 said:

Are you for real?1000 baht is a cheap meal to her also.

The guy doesn't want to give any money at all; until he get the keys. When moving in. Give a few thousand might help.

Read his post stupid.

The place where I live has a 3 month contract and they required a I pay a 48K Baht security deposit to move in on signing my first contract.

But  left once during the last 2 years and I did get the 48K security deposit returned on leaving, but they made an inpection to see if anything was damaged before I left.

They then returned my 48K security deposit.

A few months later I moved back on another 3 month contract and they waived the security deposit, but did ask for the first month;s rent in advance on mpving back in.

Now I pay monthly before the 7th of the new month with a signed invoice/reciept showing the amount for the old month's rent.

Fine with me.

Chinese-Thai family owned residence and they are honest

So you start paying rent from the 15th next month? 

2 month deposit is required these days. A lot of tenants quit paying the rent 1 month before leaving and if they leave any damage behind there is at least 1 month deposit left to pay for it.

It is wise to keep a good understanding with your landlady so if you do not trust her with the 'large' sum of 2 months deposit just offer her some compensation (3000 baht) for the 1,5 months the apartment stays empty while it is reserved for you. Just tell her it takes time to get the deposit money and you will have it next month.

On 17/09/2016 at 11:54 PM, GOLDBUGGY said:

I don't know. I don't see why you can't sign the contract and make the deposit now, and also get the keys, as obviously she is not going to get anyone to move in for less than a month. That is what I did when I moved from Pattaya to Udon Thani. She will agree to it if you give her some cash now. 

The standard here seems to be 2 months damaged deposit plus first months rent. If you can chisel that down to one months damage deposit then this is well advised. The chances of getting your deposit back are slim. Especially if she is in need of money. But at least with only one months damage deposit you can refuse to pay your last months rent when you plan to move out, and you are not into her for anything then. 

Very bad advise I have to say. This is the very reason we try and rent to Thais.

1 minute ago, augustwest said:

Experience and ripped of by an Americann

Well I'm sorry to hear that but your observation and experiance I can assure you is not the normal. We always try to give back the damage deposit in full. We go and inspect the property a good month before the Tennant is due to move out and if there is damage we give them the opportunity to right it themselfs at a lesser cost than we would charge as we generally get contractors in to fix any damage done.  We keep 500bht as a matter of course this is in the contract for a deep clean of the property after the Tennant leaves.

I can not coment on your circumstances with your landlord I presume you asked him why he refused to give you your deposit back.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Very bad advise I have to say. This is the very reason we try and rent to Thais.

Well, since you are renting out to others than you obviously never had your Damage Deposit kept 3 out of the 4 times I rented here and for no good reason. The last one I kept one months rent back and she still screwed me out of a months damage deposit as I paid for 2 months, as she said she was broke and couldn't afford to pay me back. In all the time I rented their I had to pay for anything that broke down, including a new washing machine, as she refused to. 

Sorry if I cut into your extra income and in you perhaps keeping 2 months damage deposit as most House Owners seem to think this money belongs to them and even when there is no damage. Anywhere in the world I rented in the past, excluding Thailand, they only held one month security deposit.

If you cause no damage and don't pay the last months rent, and the owner then gets to keep your deposit. I don't see any harm in this as nobody is getting screwed here. I think most people who have rented here, and got screwed like I did, would agree to this.   . 

Well I'm sorry to hear that but your observation and experiance I can assure you is not the normal. We always try to give back the damage deposit in full. We go and inspect the property a good month before the Tennant is due to move out and if there is damage we give them the opportunity to right it themselfs at a lesser cost than we would charge as we generally get contractors in to fix any damage done.  We keep 500bht as a matter of course this is in the contract for a deep clean of the property after the Tennant leaves.

I can not coment on your circumstances with your landlord I presume you asked him why he refused to give you your deposit back.

Believe me! If you are really like that then you are the except to the rule here and not the rule itself! There has been several people in the past reporting this here, so it isn't something new.  

In another place I rented in Pattaya the place sat empty for quite awhile. I liked the place and location but didn't like the fact it was dirty. I was promised that she would have it cleaned before I moved in and only didn't want to do it sooner until a renter was found. 

When I move ii, it was left dusty and dirty. She made some excuse the cleaners where have supposed to have cleaned the place but didn't show up for some reason. She said she would get o them right away. They never showed up so we spent a whole day cleaning everything from windows, toilets, and washing floors.

When we moved out 2 years later I hire 3 professional cleaning ladies to do this from top to bottom. When the Land Lady showed up she even complimented on how nice and clean the place was. We went over everything together and she agreed there was no damage. She would wait for our Utility Bill, which we paid up in advance before we left. But she decide not to give us any refund as she later claimed we did not provide notice of our moving which was a complete lie.

I can understand someone charging 500 Baht to clean the place up if they didn't do that before they moved out. What I don't understand is someone charging this when it was a mess when you moved in to begin with.     

15 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

In another place I rented in Pattaya the place sat empty for quite awhile. I liked the place and location but didn't like the fact it was dirty. I was promised that she would have it cleaned before I moved in and only didn't want to do it sooner until a renter was found. 

When I move ii, it was left dusty and dirty. She made some excuse the cleaners where have supposed to have cleaned the place but didn't show up for some reason. She said she would get o them right away. They never showed up so we spent a whole day cleaning everything from windows, toilets, and washing floors.

When we moved out 2 years later I hire 3 professional cleaning ladies to do this from top to bottom. When the Land Lady showed up she even complimented on how nice and clean the place was. We went over everything together and she agreed there was no damage. She would wait for our Utility Bill, which we paid up in advance before we left. But she decide not to give us any refund as she later claimed we did not provide notice of our moving which was a complete lie.

I can understand someone charging 500 Baht to clean the place up if they didn't do that before they moved out. What I don't understand is someone charging this when it was a mess when you moved in to begin with.     

Wow several points if the place was that bad when you saw it to start with then the same when you signed up why did you sign agreement I would have walked away it would ring alarm bells to me Straight away. I can't coment on her not giving deposit back I have no reason to doubt what you say as I said I would not have moved in in the first place.

When I first came I rented 4 separate condos over a 4 year period I have to say I always got my deposit back minus 500 ht cleaning money although like you I always left it clean.  If you read my earlier posts re people not paying after month 4  we know that there going to do a runner I still go round in last month and ask them for rent plus it's a good excuse to see the house for any damage. I then give them the option to pay or simply leave. Have to say only once have we been caught out by a farang did a runner with several bits of our furniture. We never get any problems when after that we only rent to Thai couples. We have to long term farang tenants who are friends as well.

11 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Wow several points if the place was that bad when you saw it to start with then the same when you signed up why did you sign agreement I would have walked away it would ring alarm bells to me Straight away. I can't coment on her not giving deposit back I have no reason to doubt what you say as I said I would not have moved in in the first place.

When I first came I rented 4 separate condos over a 4 year period I have to say I always got my deposit back minus 500 ht cleaning money although like you I always left it clean.  If you read my earlier posts re people not paying after month 4  we know that there going to do a runner I still go round in last month and ask them for rent plus it's a good excuse to see the house for any damage. I then give them the option to pay or simply leave. Have to say only once have we been caught out by a farang did a runner with several bits of our furniture. We never get any problems when after that we only rent to Thai couples. We have to long term farang tenants who are friends as well.

Well, in the first case it seemed reasonable to me that they would clean this place before I moved in. It sat for a while so I could understand how it got dusty. It also seemed reasonable to me that they would not do a super clean job as soon as somebody moved out as it would just get dusty again anyway. 

I signed a 1 year lease because I liked the condo, the location, and the rental price for it. It also has a nice balcony facing a quiet pool and away from street noise. I honestly never expected that this place wouldn't be cleaned before I moved in. I tend to trust people who make promises to me more than I don't trust them. 

Often I have heard from so many people who say "If that was me I would have not signed this agreement and walked away." Why? Just because it was dirty and could be cleaned for 500 Baht? Okay! But like most people I looked for a place before I move out of my last place. I had given my notice to move out a couple of weeks before I found this place and signed an agreement so I could move in on moving day two weeks later. 

So if you showed up then, and the condo still wasn't cleaned, where would you go? To a hotel for 1,000 Baht a night? Then what are you going to do with the moving guys standing at your door of the new condo who hauled all your stuff from the old condo for you including your washing machine?

I also moved from city to city and it is not easy to keep on top of things this way either. The truth is, most people would walk away and as they said they would, as most people don't have another place to go. I wish I could just walk away without putting myself in further trouble. 

I don't doubt that you are an honest man. If you hold 500 baht to clean it is reasonable. Then if I knew this I wouldn't have to hire my own cleaners to do it for me. But I am also an honest man and I would never steal anyone's property. If there was no damage I would give their money back also.  I don't know how long ago you rented a place and maybe it has changed since then, but I can assure you in 4 tries you would lucky to get your deposit back 50% of the time.     

16 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Well, in the first case it seemed reasonable to me that they would clean this place before I moved in. It sat for a while so I could understand how it got dusty. It also seemed reasonable to me that they would not do a super clean job as soon as somebody moved out as it would just get dusty again anyway. 

I signed a 1 year lease because I liked the condo, the location, and the rental price for it. It also has a nice balcony facing a quiet pool and away from street noise. I honestly never expected that this place wouldn't be cleaned before I moved in. I tend to trust people who make promises to me more than I don't trust them. 

Often I have heard from so many people who say "If that was me I would have not signed this agreement and walked away." Why? Just because it was dirty and could be cleaned for 500 Baht? Okay! But like most people I looked for a place before I move out of my last place. I had given my notice to move out a couple of weeks before I found this place and signed an agreement so I could move in on moving day two weeks later. 

So if you showed up then, and the condo still wasn't cleaned, where would you go? To a hotel for 1,000 Baht a night? Then what are you going to do with the moving guys standing at your door of the new condo who hauled all your stuff from the old condo for you including your washing machine?

I also moved from city to city and it is not easy to keep on top of things this way either. The truth is, most people would walk away and as they said they would, as most people don't have another place to go. I wish I could just walk away without putting myself in further trouble. 

I don't doubt that you are an honest man. If you hold 500 baht to clean it is reasonable. Then if I knew this I wouldn't have to hire my own cleaners to do it for me. But I am also an honest man and I would never steal anyone's property. If there was no damage I would give their money back also.  I don't know how long ago you rented a place and maybe it has changed since then, but I can assure you in 4 tries you would lucky to get your deposit back 50% of the time.     

Any way I'm glad your sorted now in a good place I hope take care

Edited by Deepinthailand