TrueOnline New Promotion for 50/10 Internet Plan (big price drop)

Pib

My experience with True Fiber2U 30/10 has been abysmal on every possible level, and I would love to explore other options, but therein lies the problem: Whenever I call another provider to inquire re: service availability, no one seems to know anything!

I know Thailand doesn't exactly have an educated work force, but come on!

The people on the other end of the phone are like extras from "Idiocracy."

Edited by fusion58

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am jealous, when I lived for a few years in Bkk until 2015 I had a 50/20 True connection (which they did not offer any more later on) I paid about 2,799 Baht, and it was ok, a couple of times there were issues but in general it was ok. Then in July 2015 moved to Kenya, Nairobi and I had for a year a 50/10 connection with ZUKU, man that sucked, internationally I had about 90% of the times a speed from good old modem times, below 54kb/s. After a year I moved to FAIBA, they only offer 15/15 as their fastest connection and I would say 80% of the time it is ok-ish, but - BUT here comes the BUT its extremely pricey. While Zuku cost about 4000 Baht, Faiba costs 6000 Baht a month. So I am really jealous of you guys in LOS, I wish I would have that options and prices over here.

On 18/09/2016 at 10:53 AM, Pib said:

Question to anyone listening in and living in a high-rise condo/apartment building on the 4th floor or above:  Do you have a True internet plan (fiber, DOCSIS, or xDSL)?

I've had True ADSL on the 20th, 21st and 30th floors of condos going back to 2007 (Bangkok), so the 4th floor or above thing would appear to be false.

Having said that, True can be notoriously difficult to deal with in some condo installations (I believe there's an old thread knocking around about this issue). I was twice told by True HQ that service was not available in my building, despite knowing other people in the building that had True connections. Best advice in this situation is to go through the building's juristic person office who are usually in touch with an agent who is familiar with the place and will sort out any issues with the brain dead automatons back at True HQ.

I have just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a True sales person, who spoke excellent English. But, although I know that their new "TRUE Super Speed FIBER" is available in my condo, (and I have True Online for ADSL in my home office and True cable/fiber through my TV aerial for my TV in my bedroom), I can't ascertain how the new offer gets installed from the location in the common area of the building to my flat, and once in the flat whether I have to run cables/wiring to get the modem connected to my home office, (where the current ADSL phone line handily sits a metre away from the modem on my desk). The guy suggested that I did. So, as I care about not having wires/cables trailing through my expensively decorated flat, I said I wouldn't bother. He told me that ADSL would be discontinued in about 12 months. 

To the initiated, this will sound like the dumbest question, but how does a fiber cable get distributed within a flat without running cables/wiring? 

Where you say you have "True cable/fiber through my TV aerial for my TV in my bedroom" how are you doing that? 

With fiber, cable, or satellite TV the signal comes from a fiber optics line, a cable line or satellite TV dish line running to your router and/or TV setup box.  No aerial involved.  When you say aerial I think of the old analog TV antenna on a pole or maybe even rabbit ears on the TV.   Or maybe the new digital TV that also uses an external or internal antenna.  But for cable or fiber the signal rides on a line.

Now for folks living in high-rises it common for the cable/fiber to terminate at the ground floor of the building in a junction room/box. From that room/box the signal is converted to xDSL (VDSL or ADSL...usually VDSL) on the building telephone/ethernet lines which runs to your apartment.  Or if the incoming line to the building was cable, then it just connects to the internal TV cable wiring possibly in the building.  Basically it fiber/cable to your building, but the final X-meters is via xDSL (phone line) or possibly ethernet/LAN or cable TV cable.

Sounds like there may be some miscommunications with True as to exactly what type wiring your currently have in your building/residence...and maybe a misunderstanding of how things hookup.

Been checking further into my i-net options.

AIS: no hape in my village in Pattaya was the answer, hmm okay. Perhaps in 6 month time they will provide it, but nothing for sure.

Current i-net provider (Banglamung cable TV) gave me blank stares when I told them If a 50mg/s connection can be had, no they said; 15mb/s sec tops or a very expensive 30mb/s for office use, no thanks.

Called True in Bangkok and asked if I can transfer my current gold satellite package to a 50mb/s fiber optics one, yes was the answer, app 2500 per month under current promotion so I took that. I will apparently also get a sim card with an i-net deal included in that package deal. 

My buddy in the village had True internet+ gold TV for years and he hardly ever had problems with it and are very satisfied so I hold my hopes high.

I will update when I get it installed.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Where you say you have "True cable/fiber through my TV aerial for my TV in my bedroom" how are you doing that? 

With fiber, cable, or satellite TV the signal comes from a fiber optics line, a cable line or satellite TV dish line running to your router and/or TV setup box.  No aerial involved.  When you say aerial I think of the old analog TV antenna on a pole or maybe even rabbit ears on the TV.   Or maybe the new digital TV that also uses an external or internal antenna.  But for cable or fiber the signal rides on a line.

Now for folks living in high-rises it common for the cable/fiber to terminate at the ground floor of the building in a junction room/box. From that room/box the signal is converted to xDSL (VDSL or ADSL...usually VDSL) on the building telephone/ethernet lines which runs to your apartment.  Or if the incoming line to the building was cable, then it just connects to the internal TV cable wiring possibly in the building.  Basically it fiber/cable to your building, but the final X-meters is via xDSL (phone line) or possibly ethernet/LAN or cable TV cable.

Sounds like there may be some miscommunications with True as to exactly what type wiring your currently have in your building/residence...and maybe a misunderstanding of how things hookup.

Sorry, perhaps I've used the incorrect term - my TV aerial (socket) is like this:

Image result for tv aerial socket

and from this I get a cable internet connection to run my TV (thai expat TV).

My home office computer runs through an ADSL line, (which looks like an ordinary telephone line). True are telling me the new fiber cable cannot go through the ADSL telphone junction/line, and that it will have to run via a cable to be affixed to the wall/ceiling/floor, which is very undesirable for the aesthetic reasons mentioned.

Edited by samtam

46 minutes ago, samtam said:

Sorry, perhaps I've used the incorrect term - my TV aerial (socket) is like this:

My home office computer runs through an ADSL line, (which looks like an ordinary telephone line). True are telling me the new fiber cable cannot go through the ADSL telphone junction/line, and that it will have to run via a cable to be affixed to the wall/ceiling/floor, which is very undesirable for the aesthetic reasons mentioned.

No matter what happens you will need some sort of cable running to your room, it will either be fibre or lan, fibre comes in from outside and will terminate in your building usually ground floor comms room where all the telephoney cables come in and are terminated, ideally you will want the fibre then routed to your room - how they could do this in your building is up you to find out, either way like I said either fibre or lan to your room the latter being unlikely as your modem would need to be in the comms room

In your room you will either have a lan cable or a fibre cable, if lan then you will need an access point to distribute the network in your apartment or if fibre then you will have a modem in your apartment which you can then connect to an access point via lan cable to your office - it is also possible to setup as a wifi repeater but not ideal as you will loose bandwidth, your problem is how to get the cable routed to your apartment

also from your current setup you have seem to have 2x internet accounts in your room when only one should be needed, I don't understand why you have cable internet and ADSL

you could opt for VDSL 50/10 which will use your existing telephone connection that is currently ADSL - this will not require any other cables to your room  

Edited by smedly

1 hour ago, samtam said:

That's a cable connector, which can provide cable TV such as TrueVisions and/or cable (DOCSIS) internet like from TrueOnline.   The TrueSpeedSpeedFiber is really just what they call their cable/DOCSIS & fiber optics high speed plans now.

Since you said you already have True cable TV coming in on that connector you can also have True cable/DOCSIS coming in on that cable at the same time assuming True has it local cable trunk outfitted for TV and internet which they probably do.   At the output of that connector all True will do is use a 3db splitter to split off half the incoming signal to the cable router and the rest going to your True setup TV box(es).

For around 5 years I had True cable TV and cable internet (i.e, what they now call SuperSpeedFiber)....both coming in on the same cable line where its then split out to the cable router and TV setup boxes on the inside of my residence.   Then about 4 months ago I dropped their internet (just kept the cable TV) when I switched my internet to AIS Fibre 50/10.   The True cable line came in upstairs to my master bedroom where I had the router placed to feed the whole house via Wifi but later I ran an ethernet line from that router to a downstairs Wifi access point so I had strong signal/full internet speed upstairs and downstairs.   Now I could have done a Wifi bridge setup to the access point downstairs and not used an ethernet cable...but I used an ethernet cable to get the best possible connection between the upstairs router and downstairs access point.

What I'm a little confused about is "assuming" True has internet capability also on their cable TV line then why do you use a separate ADSL internet plan unless it was just an internal wiring preference?

Doesn't seem like you would need a separate ADSL plan; instead, just get True SuperSpeedFiber assuming it's coming in on the cable line along with the TV, and then distribute the internet connection/signal via ethernet line "or" Wifi throughout your residence.  Heck in my two story house all my devices make connection via Wifi...none of them are hooked to an ethernet connector based on where I use my computers in the house.