Procedure for converting US (Car/Motorcycle) to Thai drivers License?

ocddave

I just got done renewing my US drivers license (Car/Motorcycle) so it will be good for the next 6 years, and also picked up an International Drivers Permit (IDP) from "AAA" here in the states. I am heading to Thailand on a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa (Marriage) at the end of October, and I am wondering what I need to to do to get my drivers license (Car/Motorcycle) in Thailand. Is this a rather straightforward process, as in they convert my existing license, or do I need to start all over in Thailand (i.e. retake tests)? What documents will I need, and whats the procedure to get this done? Is this something I can do right away, or do I have to jump thru hurdles first? How long should I expect to wait, or can I just use the IDP for the 1 year it is supposedly valid for?

I'm trying to remember what I did, and it may vary depending on what your State DL says.

My license was car & Motorcycle, but I only did Car, since bikes, IMHO, are are certain death sentence in this country. I never had a International license, just showed my US one.

If you do go for both car and motorcycle, the lunacy that is Thailand, will mean that you carry two separate bits of plastic in your wallet...one car, one bike

The other things you need are:

residency certificate from Immigration, or if you have a compliant local land office a yellow book

health certificate from a 'reputable' hospital

copy of your passport extention

I thinks thats it, others chime up if I've missed anything

Edited by GinBoy2

When you arrive get your wife to contact the local office of Department of Land Transport  DLT and ask what is required. Each office has their own local rules.

When I changed mine over I did not require a residency certificate or a yellow book. I got a medical certificate form a local doctor.

Edited by ripstanley

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm trying to remember what I did, and it may vary depending on what your State DL says.

My license was car & Motorcycle, but I only did Car, since bikes, IMHO, are are certain death sentence in this country. I never had a International license, just showed my US one.

If you do go for both car and motorcycle, the lunacy that is Thailand, will mean that you carry two separate bits of plastic in your wallet...one car, one bike

The other things you need are:

residency certificate from Immigration, or if you have a compliant local land office a yellow book

health certificate from a 'reputable' hospital

copy of your passport extention

I thinks thats it, others chime up if I've missed anything

Health certificate from anywhere. I remember there was one in Bangkok did it for 30 baht and never even saw a doctor!

14 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Areas differ.Must take test in areas I've lived. Never met anyone who has just flashed a foriegnlicence and been given a5 year one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to get the 1 year one first. Someone bragging that  they have a 5 year one.

I got one for life:) back in the 80s, or rather until I am 70

Edited by Johnniey

11 hours ago, ocddave said:

I just got done renewing my US drivers license (Car/Motorcycle) so it will be good for the next 6 years, and also picked up an International Drivers Permit (IDP) from "AAA" here in the states. I am heading to Thailand on a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa (Marriage) at the end of October, and I am wondering what I need to to do to get my drivers license (Car/Motorcycle) in Thailand. Is this a rather straightforward process, as in they convert my existing license, or do I need to start all over in Thailand (i.e. retake tests)? What documents will I need, and whats the procedure to get this done? Is this something I can do right away, or do I have to jump thru hurdles first? How long should I expect to wait, or can I just use the IDP for the 1 year it is supposedly valid for?

I have a US License with Class A and Motorcycle. Your first license here in Thailand will likely be for 1 year. When I did mine about 2 months ago for the 5 year one, I needed:

Certificate of residency (I have yellow tabien baan so used that)

Medical certificate - 30 baht and all they did was take my blood pressure. 

Several copies of my passport ID page and Visa Page and Tabien Baan

Us Liscense and Several Copies 

No test just printed it out. You should get 2 liscences - 1 for private car and 1 for private motorbike

Just now, Strange said:

First license will be for 1 year. Mine expired 2 months prior to me going in for the 5 year one and they still gave it to me no problem. 

Didn't have any kind of test whatsoever. 

I've heard of some getting a reflex kinda test and having to watch a vdo. Maybe depends on where you go.

7 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I've heard of some getting a reflex kinda test and having to watch a vdo. Maybe depends on where you go.

Ah yeah the reflex test, I had one like 5 years ago when I got a DL on a tourist visa. Literally pilled some strings with my hands, pressed a button with my foot with a light flashed red and named a color when they pointed to it. There was like 40 of us in a room and we were all done in 15 minutes. Whole process was done in 2 hours and walked out same day with a DL. 

Yeah anywhere here you are subject to the whim of the person.

The main thing is getting the certificate of residency. I believe you can get one at the local police station in the event you don't have a Tabien Baan. Tabien Baan was WAY more of a hassle than the License.

40 minutes ago, Strange said:

Ah yeah the reflex test, I had one like 5 years ago when I got a DL on a tourist visa. Literally pilled some strings with my hands, pressed a button with my foot with a light flashed red and named a color when they pointed to it. There was like 40 of us in a room and we were all done in 15 minutes. Whole process was done in 2 hours and walked out same day with a DL. 

Yeah anywhere here you are subject to the whim of the person.

The main thing is getting the certificate of residency. I believe you can get one at the local police station in the event you don't have a Tabien Baan. Tabien Baan was WAY more of a hassle than the License.

I believe that you have to go to Immigration, where the residency certificate is free, although they try to get 500 baht(or more) out of those not in the know. 

My original Tabien baan was easy but changing it to another province was a big hassle!

You can also use a Work permit for proof of address.

Edited by Johnniey

You will get a 2 year 'provisional' license first time. You will do the colour (eye) test, a couple of reaction tests and watch a video for an hour. You will not have to get behind the wheel.

Copy of residence or yellow book, medical certificate (easy), copy of PP photo page and visa page.

As mentioned above offices may have different requirements, just go and ask...:thumbsup:

I've done the tests every renewal.

1. Color Blind Test

2. Depth of vision test, you pull two strings to get two sticks aligned in a box

3. Reaction test, LED's go from green to red, you have to sit there and press your foot an a brake pedal before they go to red

First time I watched the reaction test I thought. "who could fail this".....experience has taught be, you would be surprised!

Edited by GinBoy2

The biggest "hurdle" for the OP will be getting some form of residence certificate.

Having IDP is a good idea.

No driving tests required.

But physical tests have usually to be done as already described in other posts.

You will receive two temporary licenses, one for car and one for motorbike.

Since March last year temporary licenses are issued with two year validity.

Edited by KhunBENQ

So basically a Residency Certificate, a simple Medical Physical, my US license, and my IDP,  are the only things I will need when I go down? Will the receipt from the TM30 my wife will send in be enough to prove residency, or do I need some other document? I'll ask the wife when she wakes up, but what is a "Tabien baan"?

Ah didn't know that. 

I have a two year one (motorcycle).

Was the only one in the "class" of young Thais who was aware of :D

(I did the motorcycle lic. from scratch, no home country license for that)

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 minutes ago, ocddave said:

So basically a Residency Certificate, a simple Medical Physical, my US license, and my IDP,  are the only things I will need when I go down? Will the receipt from the TM30 my wife will send in be enough to prove residency, or do I need some other document? I'll ask the wife when she wakes up, but what is a "Tabien baan"?

Passport of course.

With some luck they will accept TM30 plus maybe signed copy of wife's (blue) housebook (= tabien ban). Not a bad idea to take wife with you.

Foreigners on long time stay can get their own "yellow tabien ban" (yellow house book) but thats discussed in xx other threads (or is it more than 100 :D ). You should work on this after the DL.

BTW: where will you live?

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Having IDP is a good idea.

I am trying to make sure to bring more than I need when i go to Thailand, the more documents and paperwork the better. I am even bringing multiple certified copies of our US Marriage License,  and even a certified copy of my own Birth Certificate, which I may need when I go have our daughter declared a US citizen at the US Embassy. Its why I renewed my US license and decided the spend the measly $20 to pickup up the IDP. I have download all the Thai immigration documents, and purchased a PDF editor so i can easily fill in and print out whatever I need at any time, thinking ahead ;-)

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Passport of course.

With some luck they will accept TM30 plus maybe signed copy of wife's (blue) housebook (= tabien ban). Not a bad idea to take wife with you.

Foreigners on long time stay can get their own "yellow tabien ban" (yellow house book) but thats discussed in xx other threads (or is it more than 100 :D ). You should work on this after the DL.

BTW: where will you live?

Yes, Passport will be with me at all times, and wife will definitely be coming along with me. We'll be living in Pak Kret Nonthaburi Bangkok, near the Impact Theatre/arena area.

• 4 months later...

I was curious to see if I could get a driver license with only a tourist visa so I just went to Sakon Nakhon Transport office. I had my residency paper,my passport with a METV and my California Drivers license . I didn't have a IDP .They said because my license doesn't state what I can drive(car,motorcycle and or truck) even though it clearly states (Class C).I would have to do everything ,which is a eye test,doctors examine, coordination test,5 hour (in Thai language)lecture,100 question on the computer test and a driving test.They didn't say anything about not being able to get one with only a tourist visa

Edited by riclag

On 17/09/2016 at 9:55 AM, Johnniey said:

True indeed, mine was fixed in that;  the thai girl before me had about five seconds to react, me one. I made it a point to watch the next thai girl test with my watch prominently displayed. Next reflex test no problem. Then there is the depth of vision  and peripheral vision test and colour blindness (?) in which you have to call out the colour in thai ( and try and remember the right name ) . 

Then I was ushered into the classroom to sit before a three hour plus video showing me how crap most locals are at driving. 

Five minutes into this the current Mrs Dark Lord stormed into the bosses office declared she was losing face ( as for sure the boss was) when her husband ( the Dark Lord) held an international worldwide license and had been driving in Italy France Germany Singapore Malaysia etc etc and that she could not tell me why I was being picked upon and being "shaken down" without defaming the police ( at the test centre) two minutes later I was out with two one year licenses in my pocket. The next year  upgrade to 5 yrs was: in, exchange, out I think they were about THB 60 but could be wrong

happy days but watch out for the shakedown attempt if in Chock Chai.......