What Is " Som Nam Naa " In English ?

baennaenae

Thanks, all. I am constantly learning new things about Thai on this board, so allow me to reiterate that I'm in the company of a number of experts on Thai, which helps make things fun. :o

Most recently, I had a blast when I stumbled across the thread about the origin of ณ [นะ]. Great stuff!

And also...

I'm a native speaker of English....

That's a bold statement for an American to make.

Touche. I'm a native speaker of Pacific Northwest American :D

Alas, it was not. Thai language forums are the only Thai teaching I do at the moment. Interesting you should mention SOAS, though. I'm in the market for an MA in SEA Studies, and SOAS is at the top of my list to apply to.

Another bit of good news: Two months and counting until my wife and I will be heading back to Thailand. We are planning to stay for the better part of the year. Indulge me on this one: Woohoo!!

• 2 months later...
Ok here is my take…

This phrase is used when one is pleased about a particular event, when one is pleased about an event involving the misfortune of another, especially if that person deserved it.

Similar meaning as

“Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others”

“You got what you deserved”

“I'm laughing at your bad luck”

As we're getting all intellectual... :o :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

RAZZ

• 2 years later...
I was told it's the English equivalent to "in your face"

Wrong?

What is the difference between ' in your face ' and ' serves you right ' ?

I would say aggression.

The first comment is extremely aggressive, the second is not.

สมน้ำหน้า from Buddhism? Nah.. don't see that one.

Why not, it was a native speaker who told me this!

"Native speaker" refers to Thai language, not to Buddhism. Apples and kiwis. There is no such thing as a native speaker of Buddhism. To suggest that all Thais are expert in Buddhism is akin to saying that every native Hebrew speaker is a Torah scholar. I know several Thai people who don't know a single thing about Siddharta - nor his teachings about the folly of attachment - although they do know how to light incense and give money to monks for good luck in the hope of acquiring temporal material things that they desire. That is not what ทำคุณ is supposed to be about. And fortune-telling is about as far away from the Buddha's fundamental belief system as one can get...

Wrong?

I would say aggression.

OK I did not truthfully answer the question - The answer also implies social status. "In your face" Is probably also at the bottom of the social scale from a western perspective.

Wrong?

I would say aggression.

OK I did not truthfully answer the question - The answer also implies social status. "In your face" Is probably also at the bottom of the social scale from a western perspective.

The two English idioms are not at all related. "In your face" is street slang, derived from the playground basketball courts in the US, as an aggressive taunt from someone who has just bested you in some way (i.e., made a basket while you were defending him). "Serves you right" is said when you have done something yourself to bring about the consequences that you are lamenting. In the first case, there are two parties; in the second, only one.

Edited by mangkorn

The two English idioms are not at all related. "In your face" is street slang, derived from the playground basketball courts in the US, as an aggressive taunt from someone who has just bested you in some way (i.e., made a basket while you were defending him). "Serves you right" is said when you have done something yourself to bring about the consequences that you are lamenting. In the first case, there are two parties; in the second, only one.

But there are social consequences to the use of English, and in a way these two expressions define them.

I have already worked out that there are also social consequences to the use of Thai, politely BTW.

But there are social consequences to the use of English, and in a way these two expressions define them.

I was merely pointing out that those two expressions are neither synonymous nor interchangeable.

what about

"min nam na"

I rather doubt that anybody would say หมิ่นน้ำหน้า - but in the event, it wouldn't mean the same thing at all. Again, สมน้ำหน้า refers to something that a person did to him/herself. หมิ่น means to disparage, slander, look down upon someone. Two different things, surely. Saying "serves you right" does not fit the word หมิ่น

Speaking of fit, it is with great trepidation that I dare to take minor issue with our estimable Rikker (considering the above posts - with which I also heartily concur): "fits your face" seems a rather tortured word-for-word translation of the concept. I don't believe Thai people think of one's "face" when they use that expression: it simply refers to a characteristic or particular behavior of the other person.

I'm fairly sure Rikker would agree, and was only simplifying it to make the point. I merely bring it up for the benefit of lesser students that some words - like หน้า and ใจ - don't necessarily always neatly translate to the physical face or heart (ใจ also means mind, spirit, essence of self). It depends on the entirety of the expression. In the case of สมน้ำหน้า, the phrase isn't really separated into three distinctly translatable words. (And น้ำ most definitely does not mean "water.")

Cheers.

Its not a disapproving statement; its an approving statement regarding the consequences for their action. Saying "I approve of what happened to you because you deserved it."

It sounds like your inability to comprehend English both grammatically and culturally are impeding your understanding of this one!

Before criticizing a non-native speaker's command of English, the native-speaking pedant should submit himself to a remedial course in his own language. "Its" is possessive; the contraction is "it's" - apropos both of the two incorrect usages in one single sentence above; the incomplete "sentence" that follows it in the same paragraph is grammatically incorrect, by any possible criteria.