Floods remain a concern in the North

rooster59

Floods remain a concern in the North

34_Flood-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Although flood situation in several provinces in the North improved today, but still a concern in some flooded areas as rains continued.

Authorities in Lampang province said the flood situation in Lampang province remained critical with latest reports of major flashfloods rushing into two villages in Tambon Mae Teeb in Ngao district.

Water level was as high as 2 meters, forcing soldiers from the Pratu Pha Special Operations Command in Lampang to use flat bottom boats and trucks  to evacuate villagers from the Ban Ngew Ngarm and Ban Nam Long villages after flashfloods swollen the Ngao stream and burst its banks, inundating surrounding areas.

Almost the entire area has been flooded under 50 cm of water but there are also reports of some areas being under almost 2 meters of water.

More than 300 households have been hit and residents are facing severe difficulties.

Meanwhile the flood situation in Sukhothai remained critical with hundreds of homes located within Tambon Wat Koh in Sri Samrong district hard hit by flood.

Many schools have been forced to close and authorities.

Meanwhile authorities in Muang district are now forced to employ back-hoe tractors to fill and move ‘big bags’ (huge sand bags) to fortify the embankment on the Yom river which collapsed.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/floods-remain-concern-north/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-17

As I said in another thread, I don't understand how the authorities in Sukhothai can count a 10cm thick wall on top of the embankment as the embankment. The wall is there to keep people from falling in to the river not to keep the river from overflowing! 

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Meanwhile they are realising drones to make more rain

Maybe they are releasing drones in areas where rainfall from passing clouds has been scanty?

Thailand needs as much rain as possible in order to fill the major northern and northeastern dams. Just because some areas are flooded does not mean we should hope for less rain. Failure to fill the dams as much as possible in the next two months will result in wailing and crying next year when they face more drought.

Right now the Nan river passing outside my home in Phichit is flowing strong and fast, this probably applies to the Yom and Ping rivers as well. 

Floods? I remember some idiot (in Bangkok I think) that said "it is not floods only water waiting to drain away".  Actually, I have a feeling that he "floated away" recently.

I wish the people in the flooded areas up North for everything to return to normal soon. 

The weather channels forecast no rain yet we just had a two hour deluge that was as strong as any I've seen anywhere ever! The good news is that the reservoirs are filling up nicely, Sirikit is at 70% already, and given the rate of increase overcapacity seems a way off but is possible:

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en