Best provider right now for data packages

lamyai3

Been using True prepaid 4G (399bt for 4gb) a while now and am considering an AIS postpaid package, as they offer a 10% discount on their fibre if you have one alongside.

Any experiences as to how True and AIS compare in the Bangkok area for speed and reliability? My True is 4G and is fine, though I can't honestly say it feels that much different in terms of speed than back when it was 3G...

Speed, coverage is nearly universal from the three major providers.

All three providers have similar pricing and packaging, but often one or more has special offers, like double internet, or rollover. AIS definitely has some amazing packages re: short-time/single-time use.

Just make sure your package meets the requirements for the AIS fiber discount, as I've seen different terms mentioned: pre-paid, post-paid, recurring, some monthly minimum, etc.

Especially in Bangkok, AIS will have good coverage.  I switched from True to AIS and in Hua Hin (where I live) and Pattaya/Jomtien (where I frequently visit) and the roadways in between, AIS coverage is as good as True was.  I wouldn't be so sure about some of the more remote upcountry regions.  There might be places where True has more/stronger coverage than AIS and v.v.

I have used True and AIS for a little over a year each. But for the last 2 years I've been using DTAC which in my experience is definitely the best in regards to signal coverage. I travel to different provinces especially northern and around Isaan a lot and DTAC seems to be the most consistent in coverage with signal rarely dropping unless I'm going up the mountains in northern Thailand. They usually also have the most attractive packages for me at least.

I'm currently using DTAC's 899THB plan which gives me 400 mins, 30GB of 4G, and unlimited internet (2G). 

The OP asks about data packages.

No comment about data packages.

However, I have used AIS for a long time. And have used the others when I have had the need for more than one mobile phone, over the years. 

One thing is certain: AIS has gone downhill and now the bill for service is incredibly confusing. Furthermore, their online interface is ridiculously complicated as well. To top it off, after getting calls over the past 10 years from AIS offering me a way to save money by buying a different plan, I have documented the experience over the past couple years and had a long sit down with the customer service mgr at Paragon. After all is said and done, they found a much cheaper configuration of packages and applied it retroactively to me (as credit) and my bill dropped from 1500 to 450. This does not include international calls. Then after a couple months the bill creep back up to 1500. No matter what offer I take the game always changes until I am paying much more than expected. Combined with their crap website and incredibly confusing packages, the company is too much headache. I switched to DTAC and find their plans simple enough for me to understand without using my HP 12C reverse polish calculator. I hate AIS. And I am very happy with DTAC.

On 18/9/2016 at 9:19 PM, Angry Beaver said:

I have used True and AIS for a little over a year each. But for the last 2 years I've been using DTAC which in my experience is definitely the best in regards to signal coverage. I travel to different provinces especially northern and around Isaan a lot and DTAC seems to be the most consistent in coverage with signal rarely dropping unless I'm going up the mountains in northern Thailand. They usually also have the most attractive packages for me at least.

I'm currently using DTAC's 899THB plan which gives me 400 mins, 30GB of 4G, and unlimited internet (2G). 

Can I translate that into small words (as I am one of the few still using a G-zero phone) : Assuming I buy a smarter-than-me phone,  are you saying that a service package costing 899 baht/month will give me 400 minutes of talking, and unlimited internet connection use, whilst travelling, with my tablet tethered to my phone. If I download stuff, I am limited to 30gigabytes. Is that right? Bear with me - if I open articles at BBC, BP, Guardian, does that eat into my 30 GB ?  

Hoping to see the light, , as right now I blow high dough (1000+ baht/month on AIS topups - and  750 baht/month for TOT fiber service to my home. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

17 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

Can I translate that into small words (as I am one of the few still using a G-zero phone) : Assuming I buy a smarter-than-me phone,  are you saying that a service package costing 899 baht/month will give me 400 minutes of talking, and unlimited internet connection use, whilst travelling, with my tablet tethered to my phone. If I download stuff, I am limited to 30gigabytes. Is that right? Bear with me - if I open articles at BBC, BP, Guardian, does that eat into my 30 GB ?  

Hoping to see the light, , as right now I blow high dough (1000+ baht/month on AIS topups - and  750 baht/month for TOT fiber service to my home. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Basically yes.

As far as I know, DTAC is still offering the 899 baht/month package. Let me explain it a little better.

You get:

400 calling minutes 

Unlimited internet connectivity even when you use up all 30Gb of 4G data (yes everywhere you go where there is signal)

15Gb standard data + 15Gb promotional data = 30Gb of 4G data per month

15Gb + 15Gb of 4G (1 year promotion which means you get the extra +15 for only 1 year after signing on. Whenever you use data whether it be browsing articles or downloading applications, it will use the 30Gb of available 4G data you have first. They split the data into 15Gb standard and 15Gb promotional, meaning if you don't use all 15Gb of standard 4G data, it rolls over to your next month's available data.  

For example, I only use 10 Gb out of 15Gb of my standard data this month, then next month I will have:  (5Gb of leftover data from last month) + (15Gb of standard data) + (15Gb of unused promotional data) = total of 35Gb of 4G data available to use for the second month.

It might sound a little confusing so if you any questions just let me know.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:14 AM, mtls2005 said:

Speed, coverage is nearly universal from the three major providers.

All three providers have similar pricing and packaging, but often one or more has special offers, like double internet, or rollover. AIS definitely has some amazing packages re: short-time/single-time use.

Just make sure your package meets the requirements for the AIS fiber discount, as I've seen different terms mentioned: pre-paid, post-paid, recurring, some monthly minimum, etc.

Totally wrong. Dtac has always been and will always be the best offering the best packages. The difference is huge, anybody can know it by checking online before writing something wrong.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:40 PM, wpcoe said:

Especially in Bangkok, AIS will have good coverage.  I switched from True to AIS and in Hua Hin (where I live) and Pattaya/Jomtien (where I frequently visit) and the roadways in between, AIS coverage is as good as True was.  I wouldn't be so sure about some of the more remote upcountry regions.  There might be places where True has more/stronger coverage than AIS and v.v.

But NOWHERE where true or ais are as good as dtac.

On 9/18/2016 at 9:19 PM, Angry Beaver said:

Thank you ! at least someone knows what he is talking about...

2 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

The OP asks about data packages.

No comment about data packages.

However, I have used AIS for a long time. And have used the others when I have had the need for more than one mobile phone, over the years. 

One thing is certain: AIS has gone downhill and now the bill for service is incredibly confusing. Furthermore, their online interface is ridiculously complicated as well. To top it off, after getting calls over the past 10 years from AIS offering me a way to save money by buying a different plan, I have documented the experience over the past couple years and had a long sit down with the customer service mgr at Paragon. After all is said and done, they found a much cheaper configuration of packages and applied it retroactively to me (as credit) and my bill dropped from 1500 to 450. This does not include international calls. Then after a couple months the bill creep back up to 1500. No matter what offer I take the game always changes until I am paying much more than expected. Combined with their crap website and incredibly confusing packages, the company is too much headache. I switched to DTAC and find their plans simple enough for me to understand without using my HP 12C reverse polish calculator. I hate AIS. And I am very happy with DTAC.

Totally right.

1 hour ago, Angry Beaver said:

Basically yes.

As far as I know, DTAC is still offering the 899 baht/month package. Let me explain it a little better.

You get:

400 calling minutes 

Unlimited internet connectivity even when you use up all 30Gb of 4G data (yes everywhere you go where there is signal)

15Gb standard data + 15Gb promotional data = 30Gb of 4G data per month

15Gb + 15Gb of 4G (1 year promotion which means you get the extra +15 for only 1 year after signing on. Whenever you use data whether it be browsing articles or downloading applications, it will use the 30Gb of available 4G data you have first. They split the data into 15Gb standard and 15Gb promotional, meaning if you don't use all 15Gb of standard 4G data, it rolls over to your next month's available data.  

For example, I only use 10 Gb out of 15Gb of my standard data this month, then next month I will have:  (5Gb of leftover data from last month) + (15Gb of standard data) + (15Gb of unused promotional data) = total of 35Gb of 4G data available to use for the second month.

It might sound a little confusing so if you any questions just let me know.

I presume you are talking about a post paid plan. Their pre paid is nothing like that. I was using a pre paid dtac air card for internet access only and 20gb cost 1200 baht and dropped out every afternoon up here. Probably better in BKK but look at the difference between post and pre paid.

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I presume you are talking about a post paid plan. Their pre paid is nothing like that. I was using a pre paid dtac air card for internet access only and 20gb cost 1200 baht and dropped out every afternoon up here. Probably better in BKK but look at the difference between post and pre paid.

If by "post paid plan" you mean a monthly recurring bill that you pay at the end of each month, then yes that's correct. I used to use a pre-paid air card for internet access too a few years ago back when I was living in a relatively remote area near Khao Yai. Signal and speed was horrible.   

DTAC for big data packages and Eng support, True for network performance if you have an LTE-advanced capable phone. AIS wifi air interface and backhaul support is good in malls, can get 380mbit/sec down speed on my phone but torrents are blocked

I am with AIS prepaid but I struggle to find a package that will suit me 100%, similar to what I find with say O2 in the UK. An allowance of any network minutes and texts and enough 4G data. Seems there is always some undesiraable catch. Currently on 123 weekly, but included calls have time of day restrictions.

I am using AIS through an air card. I used True for several years until the 3G quit working. True refused to admit they had a problem. Dtac has no 3G coverage where I am located. AIS is likely not a lot different but at least I always have good service. It is plenty fast enough to suit me. I am using a Netgear 4G air card. The rather odd thing is that it doesn't say 3G, it says DC. There is no 4G service here. This aircard is about twice as fast as my old 3G aircard.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 21152 kbps (2644 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2441 kbps (305.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 51 ms
9/22/2016, 9:50:50 AM

9 hours ago, Gary A said:

I am using AIS through an air card. I used True for several years until the 3G quit working. True refused to admit they had a problem. Dtac has no 3G coverage where I am located. AIS is likely not a lot different but at least I always have good service. It is plenty fast enough to suit me. I am using a Netgear 4G air card. The rather odd thing is that it doesn't say 3G, it says DC. There is no 4G service here. This aircard is about twice as fast as my old 3G aircard.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 21152 kbps (2644 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2441 kbps (305.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 51 ms
9/22/2016, 9:50:50 AM

"DC" is Dual Carrier/Cell 3G/HSPA, means your accessing 2 radio channels for download, potentially doubling your speeds

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am with AIS prepaid but I struggle to find a package that will suit me 100%, similar to what I find with say O2 in the UK. An allowance of any network minutes and texts and enough 4G data. Seems there is always some undesiraable catch. Currently on 123 weekly, but included calls have time of day restrictions.

What does this actually mean? "123 weekly". How much data and calls do you receive? What is "enough data"?

On 21/09/2016 at 2:10 PM, Jdiddy said:

DTAC for big data packages and Eng support, True for network performance if you have an LTE-advanced capable phone. AIS wifi air interface and backhaul support is good in malls, can get 380mbit/sec down speed on my phone but torrents are blocked

For Torrents, have a third party download/upload them for you. Then you can stream/download via https.

12 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

What does this actually mean? "123 weekly". How much data and calls do you receive? What is "enough data"?

It is a prepaid AIS(1-2 call)  phone package costing 123 baht/week.

AIS

Enough data is dependent on your usage. I would say 1GB a week for me.

Archived