German Found Badly Electrocuted on Thepprasit Road

rooster59

14 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

It's good that Hans survived and was able to get to the hardware shop to seek assistance...however, it might behove him, and anyone else similarly situated, to have the emergency numbers for the local hospitals saved on their mobile phones.

You got that right.

But the phone number of Bangkok Pattaya Hospital sure would do you not much good when living in BANGKOK.

Unless you are lucky and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital reconnect you with Bangkok Hospital which happens to be located as the name says, in Bangkok.

Thailand is a funny place, isn't it???

LOL in LOS

In Thailand most ladders are made with aluminum and will conduct the flow of electricity, If the floor is wet or damp and you touch a hot wire you can get zapped. i have a fiberglass ladder for this reason. It cost more but worth it

Edited by jcgodber
better word

17 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

That's one reason I get somebody to do work like this for me.  It's cheap and I don't want to end up like Hans!  Ladders are dangerous for us old people! LOL

Hope you recover quickly, Hans!!!!

That guy is only a couple of years older than me and I still climb ladders, no problem...

This week I and one other removed a window box weighing over 80Kg from a window ledge 6ft off the ground then I gained entry, (all legal).

2 hours ago, jcgodber said:

In Thailand most ladders are made with aluminum and will conduct the flow of electricity, If the floor is wet or damp and you touch a hot wire you can get zapped. i have a fiberglass ladder for this reason. It cost more but worth it

And all this time I thought they were made of bamboo.

Whether he drilled into an electrical conduit, or the shock came via his extension chord and drill itself (wasn't someone with sweaty hands saying his grinder shocked him this way recently), this emphasizes the need for RCB protection on your home circuits.

I have feeds to electrical shower units and AC units which are on 32 amp over-current breakers. Enough there to burn and kill. I doubt I could accidentally drill into an electrical conduit at my place as they come straight down to the switches and sockets from the roof  and it is apparent where they are.

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

That guy is only a couple of years older than me and I still climb ladders, no problem...

This week I and one other removed a window box weighing over 80Kg from a window ledge 6ft off the ground then I gained entry, (all legal).

Agreed!  No problem...until it's a problem.  Like this guy who's now in the hospital.  Harder for us to recover at this age!

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/news_events/news/2001/11-28-ohsu-study-finds-ladder.cfm

Most of the 136 patients, were 65 or younger, and of those patients, only 10 percent needed long-term care at a nursing home after a fall. The remaining 20 patients were older than 65, and of those patients, 35 percent needed long-term care in a nursing home after an accident. "After seniors fall from a ladder, they are at a very high risk of losing their independent lifestyles. They suffer much greater consequences than any other population," said Hill.

On 18/09/2016 at 7:40 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

It's good that Hans survived and was able to get to the hardware shop to seek assistance...however, it might behove him, and anyone else similarly situated, to have the emergency numbers for the local hospitals saved on their mobile phones.

It may well have behoven him in the 14th century but these days it probably "would be a good idea" if those numbers were kept handy.

On 18/09/2016 at 1:10 PM, Thaimike370 said:

There is no such thing as badly electrocuted, electrocuted means you are dead, not half dead or nearly dead, you are DEAD.  You can have a severe electric shock, that hurts! 

...similarly, there is no such thing as the phrases you used, "half dead or nearly dead", you are either alive or dead, there is no in-between.

2 hours ago, Conquestador said:

I think you can still buy the cable detector meter on that uk screwfix dot com website.

You could probably buy in Pattaya, but then it will probably be made in China... I would not trust my life to anything made in China.

What puzzles me is most electric drills have plastic bodies, unless it was a plug in drill with a 3 pin plug and an earthed metal body plugged into a 2 pin socket without earth, then it could be a fault in the drill.

No cable detector can save you from a faulty drill...

Edited by Basil B

27 minutes ago, Basil B said:

You could probably buy in Pattaya, but then it will probably be made in China... I would not trust my life to anything made in China.

What puzzles me is most electric drills have plastic bodies, unless it was a plug in drill with a 3 pin plug and an earthed metal body plugged into a 2 pin socket without earth, then it could be a fault in the drill.

No cable detector can save you from a faulty drill...

Maybe he was guiding the drill at slow speed with one hand touching

the metal  chuck.

Unfortunately accidents do happen.

The part of the story that struck me was that he managed to get to the shop and the shopkeeper phoned the emergency services straight away and cared for the victim until they arrived.

Hats off to the lady involved................................;)

18 hours ago, gdgbb said:

It may well have behoven him in the 14th century but these days it probably "would be a good idea" if those numbers were kept handy.

After once disturbing burglars I was so shocked it took me many attempts to dial 999 and it was not even my house...