Bringing Household Items Into Thailand.

NCC1701A

I have read all the Thai government web sites and most of the info here on Thai Visa about bring household items into Thailand.

I don't really have a lot of "household stuff". But IT IS MY STUFF. :)

No housewares, glasses, sheets, pillows, furniture. I have sold most of my stuff as it is illegal or restricted in Thailand.

My question is this.

I still have a I have a a large Craftsman's tool box with many different tools, dozens of screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, you name it.

The thing is, I have two or three, four or more of the same tools, collected over the years.

I was reading you can only bring one or two of the same item into the country.

Do you think they are going to say I have too many screwdrivers or drill bits? I have multiple copies of all my tools.

I also have a lot of computer stuff. A huge Alienware desktop computer, two monitors, monitor mounting arms, UPS, dozens of cables,

connectors, adapters, four or five battery chargers, three hard drives, two keyboards and two sets of computer speakers. 

And I have one framed print that cost $200. I saw on the Thai customs website you can't bring artwork into the country.

This is just a reproduction of a famous artist in a nice frame, 4 feet x 4 feet. How do they value a cheap print I bought from the web?

What about knives? I have a five or six folding military type knives, I guess they can't blend into my toolkit. :) 

Anyway, any feedback from anyone who brought a large tool collection into Thailand?

Thanks.

Yeah l get attached to collected things and find it difficult to know what to do with them,  you must be brave and take a deep breath. :lol: 

For my escape from UK I got all my tools together into my large ridged toolbox which is heavy but carriable, selected from all one of each, the best ones :D and brought them on the plane to Thailand along with just a few family picture items, some books and Cd's.

No problem bringing it in, only had one large hunting knife which l put in the toolbox. 

I gave away what was left of computer stuff it was fairly old anyway and computers were cheap enough to buy in Thailand.

Same furniture stuff, to family and friends or charity shops who could keep or depose of.

Had lovely moderately expensive picture + frame too but it was too large to handle and if had been taken away by Thai customs that would upset me some so gave it to one of my daughters.

At the end of the day l only wanted to bring stuff l wanted on the plane. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kwasaki

I just brought in a container full of stuff, including a couple pieces of artwork, medium size tool box, couches, a bed, tons of kitchen stuff, computer wiring and more.  Didn't pay any taxes... I may have been lucky, but that was my experience.  Where will you be living? House or condo?  Electronics are more expensive out here, so if you're due for an upgrade, buy before you fly. 

FWIW, I brought way too much stuff, wish I had packed lighter.  

51 minutes ago, DaUke said:

I just brought in a container full of stuff, including a couple pieces of artwork, medium size tool box, couches, a bed, tons of kitchen stuff, computer wiring and more.  Didn't pay any taxes... I may have been lucky, but that was my experience.  Where will you be living? House or condo?  Electronics are more expensive out here, so if you're due for an upgrade, buy before you fly. 

And watch them burst into flames when plugged into the 220 current in Thailand  :lol:

Just sell or give away the detritus of your previous life when you make the jump to Thailand. I've never understood the people who ship containers of their junk to Thailand.

2 hours ago, DaUke said:

Was this part of your n/c retirement visa allowance? If not, how much did they collect on tariffs/customs?

I have a whole house full of solid good quality items & furniture  that I wish I had brought over - I've already brought my tax free one in....

Edited by pgrahmm

We are going to be doing this as well, we are in the process of selling or giving away a lot of stuff at the moment but we would like to bring some things mainly tools, our expensive mattress, a few bits of personal furniture, a couple of guitars and my old computer with all of our music on it. There is also a few bits of art that we would like to bring some one of pieces purchased in Cuba around 12 years ago and a couple of pieces by my Mrs sister. There is also some classic art Vermeer prints, Monet prints and a Constable print which were my fathers but we are going to sell these. I also sold my motorbike a hornet 900 which I had for over 12 years and wanted to take with us but found out it was going to be cost prohibitive.

We would probably only need half a container if that but it would be interesting to know about other peoples experience in bringing their stuff in and how much it costs and if any problem with customs.

I'm glad I brought my stuff too. 

Shipped it via ocean container on my wife's passport as her returning Thai benefit.  My company paid for it and agents did all the leg work on both ends.  I hesitate to say much because it was almost 4 years, different government, but suffice to say it was a full on household goods shipment and we had A LOT of stuff over the stated quantities - computers, laptops, monitors, big flat screen TVs, a treadmill (sporting equipment).  I labeled the duplicate items like 1 monitor, then another I called a "screen", for example.  I also had knives, a few large kuhkris, etc. Customs didn't open the container, just went through the inventory with the agent and the container was delivered up to the house a few days later. 

Several years before, we sent a large box via air freight and cleared it ourselves when we flew in.  THAT took some time, about 6 hours running around and waiting for Customs to come open and physically inspect the box.  It was just my wife's clothes, shoes, other personal stuff so no duty but it was up close and personal.   IMO, having a professional clearing agent helps a lot. 

14 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

And watch them burst into flames when plugged into the 220 current in Thailand  :lol:

Just sell or give away the detritus of your previous life when you make the jump to Thailand. I've never understood the people who ship containers of their junk to Thailand.

i did the same gave it all away to charity and anyone that wanted my thing, lots i had to dump cos charity shops wouldn't take it

15 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I had about $40,000 worth of belongings shipped over for about $4,000, and paid no duty. Most of the items cannot be bought in Thailand and the items that can be bought in Thailand would have cost much more than what it cost to ship. I also got rid of 90% of what I owned. What's not to understand?

Although I did get rid of most of my electrical and electronic items, I did ship a dual voltage desktop, laptops with universal converters, and a couple of electronic devices I use with voltage converters. 12 years later, I haven't had a fire yet. 

Understand attachment to good tools and artwork, but also getting rid of stuff is quite purifying. Sold my last house fully furnished (buyer had no say) and sold/gave away a ton of sundries. For me, just not worth the hassle. Do yourself a favour, James T Kirk. ;)

Edited by daveAustin

52 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Why PM? This is a public forum. It's good that you can help, but is your info that invaluable/damaging to your reputation/health that you wouldn't want others to know about? Just sayin.

No not at all Dave. However I have helped publicly before and it usually ends in a debate of what you can do or not do.  I know what I did and it worked out perfectly.  Plus some information is better not posted to all for a variety of reasons. I have assisted 4 or 5 folks but each case they had different questions. I keep it private and don't share others info.  Not my place too.  

1 hour ago, gjoo888 said:

I had about $40,000 worth of belongings shipped over for about $4,000, and paid no duty. Most of the items cannot be bought in Thailand and the items that can be bought in Thailand would have cost much more than what it cost to ship. I also got rid of 90% of what I owned. What's not to understand?

Although I did get rid of most of my electrical and electronic items, I did ship a dual voltage desktop, laptops with universal converters, and a couple of electronic devices I use with voltage converters. 12 years later, I haven't had a fire yet. 

You could have just stayed home and saved on the shipping cost.  :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, DaUke said:

I did the same when I moved here from a previous expat assignment and will do the same when I leave and go to the next. We took all of our clothes, sheets, towels, kitchen items including canned and boxed foodstuffs like sauces and spices, knives, tools, art, electronics, bikes, books, kids toys, extensive liquor cabinet, all of it just packed by movers and put in a container. The moving company even packed our half full trash can with actual trash in it, which of course was rotten and disgusting 2 months later when it arrived! It's our family home and the and stuff that's now been moved to 4 countries in the last dozen years or so. Around the time it was due to be delivered to my house in Thailand I got a call from the moving company telling me to send them like €1000 for import duties, which I did, and all my stuff arrived a few days later. I suppose the moving company declared whatever needs to be declared and pays the appropriate taxes, bribes or duty fees. Maybe I just got lucky and picked an experienced one but if you choose a reputable company in the country where you are shipping from, they should have good partners in Thailand too. They would usually choose and pay the Thai partners, not you. Hope that helps.

Thanks everybody for your input. If anyone from the USA can send me the name of the shipping company they used and their shipping agent that would be helpful.

I already have lived in Thailand for 2.5 years and sold almost all of my stuff and put it in storage.

It was great to rid myself of most of my junk. These things I want to bring over are personal, like photos, a few book, some artwork, tax records.

And after two years of minimal stuff I am ready for my tool kit now. :)

15 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I'm glad I brought my stuff too. 

Shipped it via ocean container on my wife's passport as her returning Thai benefit.  My company paid for it and agents did all the leg work on both ends.  I hesitate to say much because it was almost 4 years, different government, but suffice to say it was a full on household goods shipment and we had A LOT of stuff over the stated quantities - computers, laptops, monitors, big flat screen TVs, a treadmill (sporting equipment).  I labeled the duplicate items like 1 monitor, then another I called a "screen", for example.  I also had knives, a few large kuhkris, etc. Customs didn't open the container, just went through the inventory with the agent and the container was delivered up to the house a few days later. 

Several years before, we sent a large box via air freight and cleared it ourselves when we flew in.  THAT took some time, about 6 hours running around and waiting for Customs to come open and physically inspect the box.  It was just my wife's clothes, shoes, other personal stuff so no duty but it was up close and personal.   IMO, having a professional clearing agent helps a lot. 

I was going to suggest the same thing, if your wife is Thai, ship it in her name, beneficial in two ways they probably won't get charged as in my case, and negotiations are done by her in thai, here in Thailand for door delivery, i shipped 6 tea chest sized boxes containing PC, Printer, and peripherals, some tools, complete dinner service, plus dishes etc.it took apprx. 5 weeks from UK by sea to arrive, and one breakage (a pyrex dish) all itemised  and listed correctly, was not charged a penny, had it been in my name, i've no doubt i would have been charged, hope this helps!  

7 minutes ago, neeray said:

OP sounds like a "pack rat". 

Getting rid of things you think you're attached to only hurts at the point of parting. It is actually quite cleansing and feels good to move on. 

I purged a lot of "stuff" after two previous moves and again before the Thailand move.

Still, a full house of quality furniture, furnishings and gear collected from a lifetime of living/working abroad in various countries.  We were experts at moving, whether it be across town or to a new country.   We went out and purchased all sorts of new things at the last place before here, and heaved it all into the container.  Things my Mrs. knew couldn't be found in Thailand and if so, far more expensive.  Every house we've moved to over the years, including this one in LoS, after a few days of organizing, it's home again, not just another dwelling.

36 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Thanks everybody for your input. If anyone from the USA can send me the name of the shipping company they used and their shipping agent that would be helpful.

I already have lived in Thailand for 2.5 years and sold almost all of my stuff and put it in storage.

It was great to rid myself of most of my junk. These things I want to bring over are personal, like photos, a few book, some artwork, tax records.

We came out of the sand box but the coordinating agent on this end was Sante Fe.  

5 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Still, a full house of quality furniture, furnishings and gear collected from a lifetime of living/working abroad in various countries.  We were experts at moving, whether it be across town or to a new country.   We went out and purchased all sorts of new things at the last place before here, and heaved it all into the container.  Things my Mrs. knew couldn't be found in Thailand and if so, far more expensive.  Every house we've moved to over the years, including this one in LoS, after a few days of organizing, it's home again, not just another dwelling.

I see others did what my wife and I did. I could not stomach selling my things for pennies on the dollar then having to buy here in Thailand for more and chase to find quality stuff. We brought over a fully loaded 40ft container for appx $5K as well. Absolutely the best decision we made. It paid for itself easily and we loaded that thing front to back. While I agree that dumping things or getting rid of things can be "purifying" as some said, my wife and I were moving into our new house about the same size of the one we left in the US and had very nice hard wood furniture (Walnut, Cherry wood etc). It would have been way different had I been alone and moving from a 3 bedroom house in the US to a 1 bedroom condo in Thailand and had changed all my hobbies. Wasn't the case for my wife and I. As 55Jay said, we moved it all into our house in Thailand and was like Home and quite comfortable and I have my shop with all my tools to continue my hobbies.

30 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I was going to suggest the same thing, if your wife is Thai, ship it in her name, beneficial in two ways they probably won't get charged as in my case, and negotiations are done by her in thai, here in Thailand for door delivery,

Absolutely. Let your wife negotiate it all. Simple and fast and they have provisions for Thais on Import tax if they have lived outside Thailand for 2 years or more. 

44 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I moved my container from Minnesota in June of this year, I used Siam International, they are located in California, they deal with shippers all over the US, cost me under $4000.00 to get it shipped to Rayong Thailand, this was for a 40 foot container which I purchased, would have been $500.00 cheaper if I used shippers container, but wife wants to convert it to a guest house. They have shipping agents in Bangkok, the shipping agent in Bangkok was Transpo, which was arranged for by Siam International, everything went smooth as silk, do you have enough for a small container, or are you talking crate size, give Siam International a call, Thai owners but can speak excellent English

A couple of years ago, we sent about 4 cubic meters of personal items from the US to Thailand, using my wife's Thai passport as a returning Thai citizen.

The ocean freight itself was extremely cheap, and the Thai agent on the US end was outstanding. On the Thai end, we needed to pay what I considered to be an excessive amount for customs clearance and delivery to Phuket. I don't recall the exact amount, but around 15K for delivery and maybe another 20K for clearance and paperwork at the port.

There were absolutely no issues with the items that we shipped. I brought a lot of quality tools, all packed in small plastic boxes with a little chalk to eliminate moisture, also a lot of pictures/art objects as well as clothing. We even brought a gas grill (they cost double here in Thailand), but it was destroyed in transit. One box of clothing had been opened for inspection, and nothing else was touched.

In retrospect, there are a several things that I regret not bringing: (1) big screen TVs - when on sale in the US, much cheaper than Thailand. They all run on 110-220V, and with HDMI, there are no compatibility issues. (2) A gasoline-powered pressure washer. An electric pressure washer here with decent power (2700psi) will cost an arm and a leg. (3) A number of step-down transformers to run whatever 100V-only equipment you may want to bring. They tend to be heavy and impractical to send via post. 

I'll send a PM with info for the agent we used in the US. 

On 9/18/2016 at 5:47 AM, NCC1701A said:

My question is this.

I still have a I have a a large Craftsman's tool box with many different tools, dozens of screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, you name it.

The thing is, I have two or three, four or more of the same tools, collected over the years.

I was reading you can only bring one or two of the same item into the country.

Do you think they are going to say I have too many screwdrivers or drill bits? I have multiple copies of all my tools.

It's about 8-years back now that I brought my "household stuff" into Thailand, but I don't think much has changed since then – apart from perhaps tea-money to the Customs – so I tell what I did, if it can help you. The government web-pages gives a very good overview, at that time I used only them as source; it was before I was aware of this excellent forum.

Your are allowed 1 (smaller) air-shipment, and 1 surface (sea) shipment. I took a 20' container – not that it was full, but actually cheaper the shipping a number of boxes. I had three tool-kits and probably multi alike screwdrivers and other more fancy tools; I had a couple of computers; several boxes of network items and cables and other geek-junk; some musical instrument like small piano and Hammond organ; and lots of stuff too personal to get rid off and just replace, which included several framed big paintings, large almost 100-year old photo in antique frame, and an even older gramophone. Artwork etc. seem allowed, as long as it personal items. As I had a container, I did also pack some household stuff that was in such a good (almost new) condition, that disposing of it and buying identical new kitchenware and like locally, would not make sense.

The trick was then to make a very detailed packing list – serial number and year (buying or make) on all electronics – and state value for each item (larger stuff) or a whole box with smaller items. I had a smooth custom clearance – my shipping agent in Bangkok suggested to ask for overtime clearence, even it was done just before noon, but probably a very reasonable disposition – and only a few days after the container arrived in Thailand, I had it delivered on Koh Samui. Had to pay minor duty and some VAT, no much – I think you shall always be charged a little bit, but fair enough. I had the container shipped c.i.f. All fees in Thailand for agent, customs fee, overtime fee, duty, VAT, transportation of 20' container from Bangkok to Samui and offloading by some 10 people, and returning of container, summed up to close to 50,000 baht.

22 hours ago, DaUke said:

U brought in a container by ship and paid zero duty? How large was the container and what were the ports of loading and arrival?

19 hours ago, zd1 said:

We are going to be doing this as well, we are in the process of selling or giving away a lot of stuff at the moment but we would like to bring some things mainly tools, our expensive mattress, a few bits of personal furniture, a couple of guitars and my old computer with all of our music on it. There is also a few bits of art that we would like to bring some one of pieces purchased in Cuba around 12 years ago and a couple of pieces by my Mrs sister. There is also some classic art Vermeer prints, Monet prints and a Constable print which were my fathers but we are going to sell these. I also sold my motorbike a hornet 900 which I had for over 12 years and wanted to take with us but found out it was going to be cost prohibitive.

We would probably only need half a container if that but it would be interesting to know about other peoples experience in bringing their stuff in and how much it costs and if any problem with customs.

We brought in a 40 foot container of household goods 4 years ago and I am on a retirement visa. No customs problems but did pay around $1000 in duty