Brit Bashing

ourmanflint

In Thailand the vast proportion of British expatriates are lower or lower middle class, and this is reflected in forum membership.

How do British members of thiis forum feel about being described as lower class or lower middle class and a little short on polish?

We don't care. We know our place :o

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The upper middle class and upper class tend not to settle in Thailand unless black sheep or more often gay.

One of my best buddies here is very wealthy and went to the same school in England as the Prince of Thailand and he idolizes other upper-class F___-ups like Lord Lucan.

A Black Sheep for sure!

Do you hang around with people who idolize murders?

thats a bit fcuked up mate. :o

Have a nice day.

In Thailand the vast proportion of British expatriates are lower or lower middle class, and this is reflected in forum membership.

How do British members of thiis forum feel about being described as lower class or lower middle class and a little short on polish?

MM

They probally feel it's a promotation :D:D:D:D

Whats one of those? :o

It's early, I just woke up. I will type slower for you next time.

Guesthouse, you have correctly identified that Britain is still a highly class conscious society and I reluctantly concede these barriers have not really broken down as much as one would wish.As I think Bernard Shaw remarked every Englishman is branded on the tongue.It seems strange in such a small island that it is possible to tell so much about a person's background after only a few sentences.

In Thailand the vast proportion of British expatriates are lower or lower middle class, and this is reflected in forum membership.The upper middle class and upper class tend not to settle in Thailand unless black sheep or more often gay.Having said that I believe the majority of Brits in Thailand are decent if a little short on polish, and of course those who point out Brits' troubled relationship with alcohol are absolutely right.

I'm sorry. I do not mind a bit of banter, but when Baldrick here comes in making his holier than thou statements which are not backed up by hard facts, it really p#sses me off.

"a little short on polish'?, upper and middle classes only settling here if they are gay or black sheep?

Younghusband you have either been sniffing the glue pot AGAIN or you are reading some unintelligible comic/magazine

The irony here seems to escape dear JacknDanny, who has just proven younghusband's point. :o

Guesthouse, you have correctly identified that Britain is still a highly class conscious society and I reluctantly concede these barriers have not really broken down as much as one would wish.As I think Bernard Shaw remarked every Englishman is branded on the tongue.It seems strange in such a small island that it is possible to tell so much about a person's background after only a few sentences.

In Thailand the vast proportion of British expatriates are lower or lower middle class, and this is reflected in forum membership.The upper middle class and upper class tend not to settle in Thailand unless black sheep or more often gay.Having said that I believe the majority of Brits in Thailand are decent if a little short on polish, and of course those who point out Brits' troubled relationship with alcohol are absolutely right.

I'm sorry. I do not mind a bit of banter, but when Baldrick here comes in making his holier than thou statements which are not backed up by hard facts, it really p#sses me off.

"a little short on polish'?, upper and middle classes only settling here if they are gay or black sheep?

Younghusband you have either been sniffing the glue pot AGAIN or you are reading some unintelligible comic/magazine

The irony here seems to escape dear JacknDanny, who has just proven younghusband's point. :o

Oh I see Baldricks friend Captain Darling has joined us.

But of course neither of you would understand either irony or humour. Why dont you both stick to pontificating on the News threads and leave us working class simpletons alone :D:D

The upper middle class and upper class tend not to settle in Thailand unless black sheep or more often gay.

One of my best buddies here is very wealthy and went to the same school in England as the Prince of Thailand and he idolizes other upper-class F___-ups like Lord Lucan.

A Black Sheep for sure!

Quote, if you poor in UK and have little education, your working class full stop !

Same in USA, and your called an A/hole, I would sooner be poor in UK than USA.

UK is a great place, just f...ed up by <deleted> like Blair and his bunch of misfits !

Now go on ban me again !!!

I drink lots of beer in Uk (real ale) when I was in LOS I drunk coke only !!!! the liquid version, the girls could not believe it ! LOL aLLWAYS IN CONTROL LOL !

Oh I see Baldricks friend Captain Darling has joined us.

But of course neither of you would understand either irony or humour. Why dont you both stick to pontificating on the News threads and leave us working class simpletons alone :o:D

Nah, once a while i need a laugh too.

Thanks for having me provided with a good one. Much obliged, etc. :D

MM

Whats one of those? :D

Well I guess 4 out of 6 words spelt correctly is pretty good for an American :o

MM

im working class and proud of it. there's no such thing as lower class in the uk.

as for being lacking in polish, well that probably applies to me too. but then polish wasnt something that did you any favours where i grew up.

i think a lot of this thread is about perception. you look at someone with short hair and a few tattoos and brand them as yobs but that's ridiculous.

it's the british working class style, most of the lads are sound. i live in bkk but the first time i went to patters it was like being in a uk seaside town again. it was great to be around so many brits on the lash.

last time i heard, having a few beers and a laugh wasnt a crime. as for scrapping, well it seems people on this forum are scared to death of their own shadows.

one minute we have threads about how thai men are psychos after a few drinks (one wrong look and you're a dead man) and now it's about the brits.

if you actually think how many times you go out drinking in thailand and how many times you have seen punches thrown from any nationality then the figure is really very small. stop blowing it out of proportion.

brits are among the friendliest and most polite people on the planet. fair play is our national characteristic.

MM

Whats one of those? :D

Well I guess 4 out of 6 words spelt correctly is pretty good for an American :o

Thats so cute. Back to Brit bashing.... for no god reason.

A few comments on this thread have alluded to an increasing disillusionment of the UK in the last 10 years. Now the UK or the Labour government is far from perfect but compared to other places around the world it doesn't do badly. What exactly are the reasons people feel this way - or is it people just like to have a general moan about how things aren't the way they used to be?

One thing I think England suffers at by comparison to the rest of Europe is the drinking fuelled yobbish violent city high streets at the weekend. There seems to be more of an aggressive sub-culture in the UK than other places. As for the eastern European immigrants - at least i can get a plumber now that turns up on time, doesn't charge the earth and knows what they are doing.

Prior to moving to Thailand from America 6 years ago I was an avid Anglophile and did not have much contact with British nationals, except for a few vacation visits.

However I now find that most of them I have encountered in Thailand are boorish, loud, aggressive, abusive YOBS (think that is the correct slang term). There are exceptions, of course, who behave and dress like gentlemen.

In all fairness, I assume, by their accent, British Nationality. I cannot distinguish between British, Australian, NZ whatever, but lump them all together as Brits. This is no doubt unfair and perhaps Brits are getting a bad rap from the behavior of others.

Cheers,

CM HAPPY

mate,

only an american could write a load of bollicks like that and every other punter on this forum knows exactly what i mean. :D

of you go and have a nice sleep. :o

so true, thats calling the kettle black alright. :D

the loudest ,most opinionated race has to be americans,and of course due to their present president also the most disliked race in the world.

95% of the problems with drinking in the UK was the 11pm full stop all over England, this just led to thousands of very drunk people all trying to get home on inadequate transport services, and all trying to buy a kebab for the way home. 80% of all fights will start within 50 meters of a kebab shop and thats a fact! So maybe there is your answer!

Don't knock Tony he's the best thing to happen to the UK in my lifetime!

We don't care. We know our place :o

i find it extremely rude.

if anyone wishes to call themselfs names and put themselfs in a particular bracket thats their perogative ,but dont lump us all together.

an earlier poster blamed Thatcher for the north/south divide,what utter rubbish.! i know many folks from the north. are they deprived.? certainly not.! they have nice homes,good jobs and not short of money.in fact they would feel insulted to be discribed as lower class.

i wonder where some of the posters have been living for years.???

if someone is prepared to work,they will never be short of a job.

one thing to note is that the present labour government is much more tory than the tories. :D

A Black Sheep for sure!

Do you hang around with people who idolize murders?

thats a bit fcuked up mate. :D

Have a nice day.

lord lucan was a real nasty piece of trash but they loved him in goa and he fooled the lot with his intelligence, story's and guitar playing.

he's dead now but had a great time on the beach in goa for many years. :D

just goes to show if you have money you can get away with murder and he did. :o

The rather heated response to my post, not to mention the fractured syntax and eccentric grammar one associates with the lower orders, only serves to prove my point that class is a very sensitive issue with Brits but also a source of gentle amusement.Actually, I meant no offence in my use of the terms "lower class" or "lower middle class", and I'm sorry if this upset anyone though I can't really see why it should.I could equally have used the terms working class or upper working class, or even the socioeconomic categories used by advertising men - A, B, C etc. My own background is lower middle class so I am hardly putting on airs and graces.By the way the definition of lower middle class is someone who like John Major tucks his shirt into his underpants.

Nevertheless it is quite obvious to an unbiased observer that the social background of most Brits in Thailand, and probably other European nationalities, is very far from being top drawer however you like to define it.Pattaya for example is almost exclusively a destination for the farang lower classes, and the chemistry of the mixture with Isaan farm girls produces an eclectic and I think rather charming mixture.

The reality is that while there are obvious exceptions the English upper classes tend to gravitate to places like Umbria, Tuscany and Provence rather than, for example Thai Visa pissups in Pattaya,Bangkok....or Birmingham where I very much doubt one would hear anyone speaking what I think is technically called received English.

MM

im working class and proud of it. there's no such thing as lower class in the uk.

as for being lacking in polish, well that probably applies to me too. but then polish wasnt something that did you any favours where i grew up.

i think a lot of this thread is about perception. you look at someone with short hair and a few tattoos and brand them as yobs but that's ridiculous.

it's the british working class style, most of the lads are sound. i live in bkk but the first time i went to patters it was like being in a uk seaside town again. it was great to be around so many brits on the lash.

last time i heard, having a few beers and a laugh wasnt a crime. as for scrapping, well it seems people on this forum are scared to death of their own shadows.

one minute we have threads about how thai men are psychos after a few drinks (one wrong look and you're a dead man) and now it's about the brits.

if you actually think how many times you go out drinking in thailand and how many times you have seen punches thrown from any nationality then the figure is really very small. stop blowing it out of proportion.

brits are among the friendliest and most polite people on the planet. fair play is our national characteristic.

Well said leftcross, let me know when you want a beer mate :o

Saxons were Germanic people who invaded Btitain . Later joined by Angles and became Anglo Saxons. The Welsh, Irish and Highland Scots were and are not considered Saxons by origin

MM

Most of the Irish do indeed have the celtish tribal bloodline, although the vikings/norsemen partially settled in parts of it making their some saxon/norseness influence. Also around the dublin area (English Pale) the english colonised that so theres a three way tribal mix. The Irish tend to of kept their unique nature and charm that endears them to many. In this the aggressiveness tends to be subdued and passive. That said they like a bloody good drink! Afterall the Irish monks are credited with inventing Guiness! The're even said to of sailed to America before the vikings did!

The rather heated response to my post, not to mention the fractured syntax and eccentric grammar one associates with the lower orders, only serves to prove my point that class is a very sensitive issue with Brits but also a source of gentle amusement.Actually, I meant no offence in my use of the terms "lower class" or "lower middle class", and I'm sorry if this upset anyone though I can't really see why it should.I could equally have used the terms working class or upper working class, or even the socioeconomic categories used by advertising men - A, B, C etc. My own background is lower middle class so I am hardly putting on airs and graces.By the way the definition of lower middle class is someone who like John Major tucks his shirt into his underpants.

Nevertheless it is quite obvious to an unbiased observer that the social background of most Brits in Thailand, and probably other European nationalities, is very far from being top drawer however you like to define it.Pattaya for example is almost exclusively a destination for the farang lower classes, and the chemistry of the mixture with Isaan farm girls produces an eclectic and I think rather charming mixture.

The reality is that while there are obvious exceptions the English upper classes tend to gravitate to places like Umbria, Tuscany and Provence rather than, for example Thai Visa pissups in Pattaya,Bangkok....or Birmingham where I very much doubt one would hear anyone speaking what I think is technically called received English.

Your like a boil on the ars hole of TV Forum :o

Irritating but harmless. Full of some unmentionable liquid matter.

You do remind me of a character off Harry Enfield, whose name escapes me.

I am assuming that you come up with this dross in the hope of getting a reaction so that someone will get into a slanging match with you( of which you have succeeded several times). Maybe this came as a result of bullying at school? I began by getting annoyed with you, now I realise that it is some sort of facade that you are putting up and I actually feel sorry for you :D

Take care and dont get too serious with your fight within :D

95% of the problems with drinking in the UK was the 11pm full stop all over England, this just led to thousands of very drunk people all trying to get home on inadequate transport services, and all trying to buy a kebab for the way home. 80% of all fights will start within 50 meters of a kebab shop and thats a fact! So maybe there is your answer!

Don't knock Tony he's the best thing to happen to the UK in my lifetime!

Sorry mate you lost it there, I thought you were trying to prove how rational you are, but you've just blown your cred big time.

You know what embarrsses me more than yobs and snobs?, uk foreign policy, I feel ashamed sometimes, you know what britains biggest export is? armaments.

Anyway off topic is it?, you know it isn't just alchohol thats fuelling the anarchy in the uk, it's coke and lots of it, the uk is the biggest drug market in europe you name it they got it, probably cos everyones so p'd off.

Rant over......... :o