Renting a car with a HSBC visa debit card

davejonesbkk

Im looking renting a car and I inquired via Avis website and they called me back and I have one reserved for later this week. The thing is I dont have a credit card, I have a Visa debit card from HSBC in the UK which I have used for many things online such as buying plane tickets and hotel rooms and Im pretty sure Ive used it when checking in at hotels to cover expenses but Im worried that something might happen when I go to collect the car and they swipe it. Or will it be fine? There is by far enough funds for any kind of deposit they might need to do an authorized hold on...

Generally speaking unless things have changed they require a credit card so they can charge a deposit that can be credited back to the card if its returned in undamaged condition, they will not except cash either for this reason

I talking about the main car rent companies not the back yard operators in Thailand

thanks, this is with Avis, I have plenty of funds in the account for any deposit they might need (8k they say) multiple times that even and its a Visa card (not electron though), so are they able to take that deposit with my Visa card? Or when they swipe it will the transaction just not work?

I did some Googling and read up on 'authorized holds' and they can be done with both credit and debit cards so Im really not sure...

32 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

thanks, this is with Avis, I have plenty of funds in the account for any deposit they might need (8k they say) multiple times that even and its a Visa card (not electron though), so are they able to take that deposit with my Visa card? Or when they swipe it will the transaction just not work?

I did some Googling and read up on 'authorized holds' and they can be done with both credit and debit cards so Im really not sure...

Personally i do not use a debit card because some businesses will not use them

I have Aussie and Thai credit cards which i use in the issuing countries, saves a lot of hassles

I have the same issue, I have a prepaid card which I have found most companies do not except, apart from Enterprise and SIXT when renting where I live in Germany, but am going to the UK soon and have been asked by Enterprise to bring two bank letters with me.

I cannot get a Credit card from my Bank as my Credit rating in Germany is not fantastic although I get more than enough money into my account per month.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Budget at Udon wouldn't take a Kasikorn debit card.

Europcar at Perth airport did take a Kasikorn debit card.

what exactly was the problem at Udon? Would they just not take the card from you as it said 'debit' on it or did they take and then swipe/scan it and it was rejected in their system?

6 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

what exactly was the problem at Udon? Would they just not take the card from you as it said 'debit' on it or did they take and then swipe/scan it and it was rejected in their system?

They looked at the card and said they only accepted credit cards. We used a local company in the end that Budget put us in touch with who only took cash. I would imagine every airport in Thailand would guide you in a similar direction, or you can find a local hire company on t'internet.

I hired a car in Birmigham a couple of months ago and they also accepted a debit card, but I had to pay an additional amount for extra insurance on top.

Edited by JaseTheBass

21 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

They looked at the card and said they only accepted credit cards. We used a local company in the end that Budget put us in touch with who only took cash. I would imagine every airport in Thailand would guide you in a similar direction, or you can find a local hire company on t'internet.

I hired a car in Birmigham a couple of months ago and they also accepted a debit card, but I had to pay an additional amount for extra insurance on top.

OK thanks, my card doesnt say 'debit' on the front so it might be ok then as Im pretty sure the system works the same when theyre swiped. 

I know of a company on Rama 4 that accepts cash deposits but I leave near the airport (swampy) so would rather go there obviously. Thanks for the input.

From AVIS UK website;

You can pay using Visa (except Electron) and MasterCard debit cards. 

But you can’t use a debit card to hire a vehicle in the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Iceland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Canada. You can only use a credit card to hire a vehicle in these countries – even if you pay online. 

Unfortunately we don’t accept cards with Maestro, Solo, JCB or Cirrus logos.

Remember, the name on the card must match the driving licence of the main driver. Someone else can’t pay on your behalf. 

And don’t forget to bring your payment card when you collect your rental. 

I rented a car from Hua Hin, about 2 years ago, used a debit card,they told me they didn't like to rent on a debit card as the deposit may take up to 4 weeks to be credited to my account, I accepted this may happen, and rented the car anyway, As it happened the deposit was credited back in about 4 days. I think the company was Thai rentals, near Hua Hin market a local franchise of a National company. Hope this helps.

Banks in Thailand in general do not like issuing credit cards to foreigners even if you have a substantial amount of money deposited with them, they make it easier for someone with a company to get a credit card which is the opposite of most countries, its easy to form a company with no assets in most countries and in Australia they want a directors guarantee for any form of credit for your company

if its a company has no assets such as only 2x$2 shares

Also in Thailand they want a fixed deposit with a amount equal to or more than your credit limit

I know of one occasion where a expat sold his house here which was his companies only asset then booked a holiday in Singapore on his credit card on his way back to the UK and did not pay of the credit card balance

Makes it hard for honest people to get a credit card here