Two visa exempts in a row with a fresh passport

2 hours ago, Penefattore said:

will do. about time supporting the poor is left on the government instead of farang shoulders and wallet

Your hardly 'Mr Reliable' are you? You cannot do the most simplistic of things such as getting a Visa.

Thailand won't miss you.

On 10/9/2016 at 2:34 AM, elviajero said:

It is not a law, it is a scheme. There is no official published limit because the decision is left to IO's and border checkpoints. These days if you overuse the scheme you'll have pressure applied to get a visa for the actual reason for your frequent visits. 

"overuse the scheme"...unbelievable...no rule of law on such a simple thing as a visa scheme...and Thailand would be a tourist oriented country ? a country where you can't even be sure of visa rules ? a country that instead of welcoming frequent visitors is obsessed by fear that they might be "working" ? (like if "working" in Thailand might have any appeal for a farang) don't they even realize how ridiculous they appear in their foot shooting ? 

2 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Your hardly 'Mr Reliable' are you? You cannot do the most simplistic of things such as getting a Visa.

Thailand won't miss you.

I have explained above why I find such requirement ridiculous .

Besides my next trip would be to Tanzania and Zambia , and I would like to save me the hassle to find out where are Thai embassies there, admitting they even exist.

1 minute ago, Penefattore said:

"overuse the scheme"...unbelievable...no rule of law on such a simple thing as a visa scheme...and Thailand would be a tourist oriented country ? a country where you can't even be sure of visa rules ? a country that instead of welcoming frequent visitors is obsessed by fear that they might be "working" ? (like if "working" in Thailand might have any appeal for a farang) don't they even realize how ridiculous they appear in their foot shooting ? 

While I do think there is an element of paranoia in the immigration rules, it is a fact that there were quite a few farang English teachers without work permits using the visa exempt scheme when they were unlimited. Since it is possible to live very cheaply in Thailand if you "go native", there are foreigners for whom such a possibility is attractive.

1 hour ago, Penefattore said:

Isn't it better not to have a limit so that occasional or frequent visitors can use the scheme, and to give IO's power to weed out those that use it to live and work here?

Their policy has absolutely no negative impact on genuine tourism.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

Isn't it better not to have a limit so that occasional or frequent visitors can use the scheme, and to give IO's power to weed out those that use it to live and work here?

Their policy has absolutely no negative impact on genuine tourism.

I respectfully disagree on this point.  Many short-term (guessing this is the definition of "genuine") but more-frequent tourists have been hit over the head with this "make it up as we go along" policy.   Every entry-point and airport is different, and it has not been consistently applied over time.  It is chaos and unnerving - very anti-tourism, the purpose of that activity being "to relax." 

As well, it is unfair to IOs, leaving them to get hung out to dry if they are "too lenient" or "too strict" - because there are no solid rule(s) they can follow to the letter, allowing them to relax and know they are "doing the right thing" in every instance.  This increases their stress, which makes them less friendly.

A set number of time-in-country per time-period could be defined and set in stone, so everyone would know they were in the clear (or not) upon entry.  A documented "last time warning" system could also be implemented, so that anyone who has not been warned can relax, and anyone not clear to enter would absolutely know in advance that they will need a visa "next time," unless they remain outside Thailand for a precisely defined period of time.

• Like 2

As for

22 hours ago, Penefattore said:

The US does not have any 'hard and fast' ...  'rule of law' for its 10 year visitor visa.

http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/frequent-visits-excessive-stay.html

I know a Brit here in CM who says he was refused re-entry to the US on his 3rd attempt.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I flew in to Thailand on a fresh Chilean passport and got a visa excempt (90 days) from swampy. After that expired I went to Ban Laem border at Cambodia for a visa run and got another one. Then another at Ban laem (no questions asked, all smiles). Would 1 more be really pushing it? I am leaving Thailand before New years tickets paid, proof of funds all good.

So what I've had is 1 excempt from Suvanabumi then 2 from Ban Laem all back to back. Are they likely to refuse me if I go to Ban leam again on Monday?

Edited by johnny Cage

16 minutes ago, johnny Cage said:

Hi guys, I flew in to Thailand on a fresh Chilean passport and got a visa excempt (90 days) from swampy. After that expired I went to Ban Laem border at Cambodia for a visa run and got another one. Then another at Ban laem (no questions asked, all smiles). Would 1 more be really pushing it? I am leaving Thailand before New years tickets paid, proof of funds all good.

So what I've had is 1 excempt from Suvanabumi then 2 from Ban Laem all back to back. Are they likely to refuse me if I go to Ban leam again on Monday?

As permission to stay is not under the visa exempt scheme but granted by bilateral agreement, I think theres a good chance you'll get another.

It might be worth emailing http://www.thaivisaservice.com as they organize visa runs to that border and might be able to give you better idea.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2016 at 9:11 AM, JackThompson said:

I respectfully disagree on this point.  Many short-term (guessing this is the definition of "genuine") but more-frequent tourists have been hit over the head with this "make it up as we go along" policy.   Every entry-point and airport is different, and it has not been consistently applied over time.  It is chaos and unnerving - very anti-tourism, the purpose of that activity being "to relax." 

As well, it is unfair to IOs, leaving them to get hung out to dry if they are "too lenient" or "too strict" - because there are no solid rule(s) they can follow to the letter, allowing them to relax and know they are "doing the right thing" in every instance.  This increases their stress, which makes them less friendly.

A set number of time-in-country per time-period could be defined and set in stone, so everyone would know they were in the clear (or not) upon entry.  A documented "last time warning" system could also be implemented, so that anyone who has not been warned can relax, and anyone not clear to enter would absolutely know in advance that they will need a visa "next time," unless they remain outside Thailand for a precisely defined period of time.

Absoulutely, let's have clear cut rules for each Visa type and then everybody knows where they stand. Simple to implement and simple to achieve!

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

As permission to stay is not under the visa exempt scheme but granted by bilateral agreement, I think theres a good chance you'll get another.

It might be worth emailing http://www.thaivisaservice.com as they organize visa runs to that border and might be able to give you better idea.

90 days on arrival with a Chilean passport sounds a good deal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

I spoke to the guy in charge. He said I already have too many, but can ask at the border. Maybe they will give 15/30 days.

I will give it a shot anyway. The worst is they refuse and I fly to Laos for a S.E.T.V lol