Turtle Rescue

anonymouse

Last night while walking the dog I found a turtle walking down the round and rather than let it get run over or be chewed on by the local soi dogs I took it home.

I don't really want to keep it as a pet. Anyone interested in a pet turtle or know's somewhere that looks after them. From my limited searching online it looks like a South East Asian box turtle.

It probably a Malaysian snail eating turtle as pictured below and are native to Thailand. I have been keeping turtles for many years mostly red eared sliders.

These snail eating turtles don`t fair well in captivity, they prefer an environment of swallow water with reeds where they mostly live on water snails and often seen in rice paddy fields. They are not truly aquatic turtles and bask most of the time on muddy banks of ponds only venturing into the water to find food.  Rarely do these species of turtles survive long in captivity because they are specialized feeders and require specialized environments

The Thais consider these turtles as a delicacy and are often sold as food at the local markets. Best to take the turtle to a pond somewhere and release it back into the wild.

snail-eating-turtle.jpg

Malay snail eater is the most likely species though the box turtle is also possible,  The snail eater is actually easy to feed as aquatic snails are very easy to raise BUT they almost always develop a fatal shell infection in captivity.   The Asian box turtle on the other hand does well in cativity.  If a snail eater ,just put in a canal or pond but not a river. 

You could take it to the small reservoir at the back of the 700 stadium. The only downside is at that reservoir or any pond or lake around CM local people like to hunt with homemade crossbows and it might not be long before it has been eaten. Maybe a temple with a pond in the grounds maybe a good choice?