I really like Thailand!

joeyg

Although i can speak Thai  I made a decision a few years ago the Mrs takes care of dealing with most "Thai" people so i really dont have to get involved with them!.:thumbsup:

I am pretty sure it works well  for both parties, plus i travel a fair bit so i dont get bogged down with the mindless Thailand things !!

As for cheap, its not cheap anymore, if you want quality, or any customer service , Thailand is not the place to look, and the food it still pales into insignificance to Indian and good Middle eastern food

Its an ok place to live, forever .. never!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

You really think that you can live anywhere you want? You can probably live in your home country or a few countries scattered across the EU, if you are from there. To state you can afford to live anywhere you want is quite a statement. 

You can afford to live in Japan and have access to an easy visa? 

Yes.  Any other questions?

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Because they don't realize how they behave as the majority have never left to see how other people and cultures are.

Until you leave and go see the world their views are lopsided.  

Funny. I know quite a few people that have traveled and visited Thailand and have come back and go on and on about how nice and polite the people are.

For every nice person, there are 10 that are not so nice. Read the news.

Were those Thai people that nearly stomped that elderly couple in Hua Hin to death nice?

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

Nope. I just watched the video closely, rather than letting outrage guide me to a mistaken assumption. Try it and you'll see.

^ I have always been amazed how easily the media can start rage in people even with just a still photo.  I would guess 90% is sensationalized because it sells and the sheeple don't spend time to get the facts before reacting.  

Honestly I stopped watching the news some years back. I had better things to do then filter it all to find out if truth or lie and many times you can't find that answer anyway.

There is nothing wrong with liking or hating Thailand.  If you are retired and are financially well off, then life is a bit simpler and pleasant.  If you work with great people in country, you still have huge issues dealing with the Thai bureaucracy.  That is where some of us are less than happy.  Doing business in Thailand can be a nightmare for those who are not familiar with Asia.   Have dealt with many rude Thais, but the good ones more than make up for the bad ones.  Had been ripped off 2-3 times in Thailand,  but am now moving on the plus side.   But will never live or invest there again.  Will just keep things as they are and work with Thailand from a neighboring country.  It is far easier.

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

There is nothing wrong with liking or hating Thailand.  If you are retired and are financially well off, then life is a bit simpler and pleasant.  If you work with great people in country, you still have huge issues dealing with the Thai bureaucracy.  That is where some of us are less than happy.  Doing business in Thailand can be a nightmare for those who are not familiar with Asia.   Have dealt with many rude Thais, but the good ones more than make up for the bad ones.  Had been ripped off 2-3 times in Thailand,  but am now moving on the plus side.   But will never live or invest there again.  Will just keep things as they are and work with Thailand from a neighboring country.  It is far easier.

:thumbsup:

I know I'm going out on a limb here but I'll do it anyway. Been traveling here since 1971. Retired a little over two years ago could've chose anywhere in the world really but I decided on Thailand.

I like the people, the food, the natural terrain, and the amount of freedom that I have.

I've traveled extensively and have considered several other places to settle down. For me pound for pound and dollar for dollar Thailand can't be beat.

Honestly the catalyst for this post is the overwhelming volume of members here that incessantly mock and put down Thailand to no end. It is an interesting phenomenon and I honestly don't understand it.

Yeah you said it in one phrase "I don't understand"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 hours ago, anotheruser said:

You really think that you can live anywhere you want? You can probably live in your home country or a few countries scattered across the EU, if you are from there. To state you can afford to live anywhere you want is quite a statement. 

You can afford to live in Japan and have access to an easy visa? 

Yes.  Any other questions?

9 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I am fluent in Japanese and lived there for over 6 years. You, not so much. I also made a living as a tour guide in Honolulu because of these skills.

I have been to Japan several times.  Only liked Kyoto really.  I only made it as far as Medical School.  Board certified in Internal Medicine.  Again why discuss your guided tours in Japan in a thread on why I like Thailand and if I could afford to live there?

it makes no sense.  i said I could live anywhere I liked.  Is that so incredulous? Really?

14 hours ago, JAFO said:

Because they don't realize how they behave as the majority have never left to see how other people and cultures are.

Until you leave and go see the world their views are lopsided.  

Funny. I know quite a few people that have traveled and visited Thailand and have come back and go on and on about how nice and polite the people are.

JAFA, I think you didn't understand that I was disputing the veracity of your statement about Americans "screaming, demanding refunds, not leaving tips, etc, etc, " because the restaurant simply got overly busy.  And I don't buy your explanation that folks in the SF Bay area "don't know how to behave" and what you have written above is laughable.  Do you really think these people need to come to SE Asia for lessons in dining etiquette?  As everyone knows that is the capital to learn such things?  I was thinking of taking Western people on tours of India and China for lessons also ...do you think that would be a good business plan??

And I think what people notice in Thailand is how deferential people are ...and we call that, nice and polite.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

and of course nothing to do with all the availability of all the beautiful ladies here:D

Like I said I like the people and get along well with them.  I'm not gay so sure i like beautiful woman.  In the 2 + years I've been here I've had one 11 month relationship.  Now in the midst of a relationship with a lovely lady from Laos.

I lived in the UK for 62 years and was happy doing so.  I moved to Thailand 13 years ago and my avatar correctly explains my feelings about living here, but that does not mean that I cannot criticise some of the things that go on here, just as I did back in England. It is called freedom of speech and is in no way an indication of total dissatisfaction with the country.  It seems to me that the out and out "Thai lovers" on here support the Junta's view that no criticism is allowed.  If more Thais were to offer an informed and critical opinion  (assuming they are allowed to) on important subjects like road deaths, safety standards, education, democracy, policing etc, etc, things might eventually change for the better. The "mai pen rai" attitude, although as a poster above said can be very appealing and attractive as a way of life, it does have its drawbacks as far as progress is concerned.  Let me apologize in advance if any posters construe this post as a criticism of Thailand or its citizens.

10 hours ago, track61 said:

Anyone who has never gotten Thai'd out either has not been here long enough or isn't awake.

I was stationed here in 1971, married to a Thai gal for 8 years and have been coming back sometimes 3 months out of a year for a long time.  Wanted to make the move here for a very long time.  Finally glad I did it while I'm still in pretty good shape for my age.  I know the culture and mindset very well.  My only regret is not having applied my self more in the language.  I do OK though...

Just because one does not come on to TV and praise Thailand and the Thai people all the time does not mean one does not like staying here.

The Thai bashing that happens on TV is done out of cultural differences and mostly done with some considerable amount of humor. That happens everywhere in the world with expat communities and some of the less desirable cultural differences are often highlighted in many anecdotal "bashing". It is unavoidable. It is an opportunity for some to vent some of the frustrations cultural differences create.

Then there are those things that are outright wrong both from a moral and rightful viewpoint, those things has to be criticized, what is wrong is wrong from any cultural viewpoint. 

9 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

You mean the elderly couple that hit them first?

Wow you're right!  I just watched it it was actually the old woman that started smacking people first!  The Thai guy actually tried to use some restraint and calm her down.  She just kept smacking him!

Wow good find.

And before that some other white guy hit another tourist that wasn't doing anything.  I was going to post it here but I was afraid it would violate the rules.

10 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Just because one does not come on to TV and praise Thailand and the Thai people all the time does not mean one does not like staying here.

The Thai bashing that happens on TV is done out of cultural differences and mostly done with some considerable amount of humor. That happens everywhere in the world with expat communities and some of the less desirable cultural differences are often highlighted in many anecdotal "bashing". It is unavoidable. It is an opportunity for some to vent some of the frustrations cultural differences create.

Then there are those things that are outright wrong both from a moral and rightful viewpoint, those things has to be criticized, what is wrong is wrong from any cultural viewpoint. 

"The Thai bashing that happens on TV is done out of cultural differences and mostly done with some considerable amount of humor."  Well you know what they say about opinions, right?  We've got to agree to disagree in this one.