I really like Thailand!

joeyg

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

That happened in Maejo a few years ago, didn't it?  The German guy was on a motorcycle.  Not exactly a common occurrence, but I wouldn't recommend flipping anyone off. 

CA is such a big place.  Cities like Stockton or Vallejo are not like SF or Monterey.  But even in San Diego, La Jolla is not the same as Imperial Beach.  Yes, there's crime in Thailand, but some of the stuff in the US is pretty vicious.  There are places, say in LA, that you just don't go.  Like South Central.  Are there any places like that in Chiang Mai? 

I was staying with friend both in Khon Kaen and Yasothan and was told there were areas definitely not to go into.  I'm not clear on what your point is.  Are you suggesting California is more dangerous or Thailand is more dangerous?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I was staying with friend both in Khon Kaen and Yasothan and was told there were areas definitely not to go into.  I'm not clear on what your point is.  Are you suggesting California is more dangerous or Thailand is more dangerous?

It's not that simple.  Big cities in the US (not just CA) are more dangerous than big cities in Thailand.  Rural areas...probably about the same.  There's stuff going on in our big US cities that we don't even want to know about.  You ever seen the movie Training Day?  It gives a pretty raw look at the underbelly of LA. 

15 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It's not that simple.  Big cities in the US (not just CA) are more dangerous than big cities in Thailand.  Rural areas...probably about the same.  There's stuff going on in our big US cities that we don't even want to know about.  You ever seen the movie Training Day?  It gives a pretty raw look at the underbelly of LA. 

Yes.  I agree.  I know LA well.  We went into an area called Chesterfield Square on several occasions. I think the most dangerous area in LA, to bring supplies and see patients in an AIDS/HIV clinic there.  We were stopped and told too get out of the car.  These  armed black dudes asked what we were doing there.  We told them we were bringing medicine and going to see patients.

The one guy told us to hand over our money and they were going to take out car.  I told him no you can't have out stuff.  He laughed and asked why not.  I told him his mama would "woop his ass" if he did.

They laughed and let us go.  After that we had a clear pass.  Always made sure to have a big bottle of Tanqueray Gin to pass to one of the boyz on other visits.

Oh yeah Training Day,  think I know all the lines in the movie now...

Edited by joeyg

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Yes.  I agree.  I know LA well.  We went into an area called Chesterfield Square on several occasions. I think the most dangerous area in LA, to bring supplies and see patients in an AIDS/HIV clinic there.  We were stopped and told too get out of the car.  These  armed black dudes asked what we were doing there.  We told them we were bringing medicine and going to see patients.

The one guy told us to hand over our money and they were going to take out car.  I told him no you can't have out stuff.  He laughed and asked why not.  I told him his mama would "woop his ass" if he did.

They laughed and let us go.  After that we had a clear pass.  Always made sure to have a big bottle of Tanqueray Gin to pass to one of the boyz on other visits.

Oh yeah Training Day,  think I know all the lines in the movie now...

Well you handled that pretty well.  I probably would have sh*t my pants. 

11 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Well you handled that pretty well.  I probably would have sh*t my pants. 

Raised in the ghetto, tour of Vietnam, just lucky.  My number wasn't up yet.

Dying is easy.  Living is the real test...

Edited by joeyg

12 hours ago, JAFO said:

You know impulse you are right. You can move all over and live like a minimalist however there is a huge stigma in the US that is hard to overcome. If you live like that people quickly judge you. You are deemed a loser or failure etc. Sure you can try the "Water off a ducks back" approach but it just doesn't work. Its the behavior of the people in the US.

You're right there, and I've often lamented the fact that it is difficult to scale back to an austere lifestyle because of societal pressures back home.  I'm hoping to leverage all I've learned in 15 years of living in Asia (small sq footage, fewer "conveniences", fewer shopping sprees, etc) when I repatriate.  Like you, though, I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to pull it off when the TV tells me I'm not adequate without Ford's latest.  Of course, 15 years living without broadcast or cable TV may help...

But I'm not sure settling in a village where I'd be living in the biggest house on the hill -and still be considered minimalist compared to back home-  is a better answer for me.  I'll take my chances that I've developed a thick enough skin to risk it back home.  Closer to family.

If I were to be (poorly) making a point, it's that Thailand fits some folks' lifestyles better than it fits others.  I know people who move here feeling like they were born for a Thai life.  I'm not ashamed to say- that's not me.  Lots of my likes aren't available, or only at great effort or in poor quality.   I've enjoyed working here but I don't aspire to retire here.  Nor do I begrudge anyone who loves the place and wants to spend the rest of their lives here.  I'm genuinely happy for them.

Edited by impulse

22 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Well that's one point-of-view.  You're certainly entitled to it.  And I don't doubt that this is how it is for you in Thailand.  I believe you.  But to insists that it "must" be like this for the rest of us....let's just say I respectfully disagree. 

psssst  check out this thread   

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

psssst  check out this thread   

Not sure what you're getting at.  But my experience has been that if you have Class 1 insurance, the insurance company will take care of it all.  Now if you're not at fault and the other guy doesn't have insurance, your company will still take care of it.  Whether they can get the other party to pay up...well, who cares? 

25 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm hoping to leverage all I've learned in 15 years of living in Asia (small sq footage, fewer "conveniences", fewer shopping sprees, etc) when I repatriate.  Like you, though, I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to pull it off when the TV tells me I'm not adequate without Ford's latest.  Of course, 15 years living without broadcast or cable TV may help...

It is not a problem at all we recently moved back

First off like you mentioned we were so used to not having a TV we never turned our TV cable back on here

I prefer not hearing all the chatter especially in an election year.

We don't miss it & they have something called a ROKU stick we use when we want to see a movie

You can see HBO go, Netflix, Hulu etc for movies

Or you can also just stream things from internet to TV if you like

Internet is crazy fast here

What other say about peer pressure in the US to super size etc is pure BS rhetoric

If your a leaf in others wind it matters not where you live as you will always bend to their shape trying to be the same as/ keep up with the Jones etc

But living minimalist or extravagant is up to you alone

You can do it here or there same as always

We lived debt free in the US & debt free in Thailand

Now we have returned & yes still the same as always (the way WE chose)

Good Luck ;)

On 21.09.2016 at 7:54 PM, DeaconJohn said:

All you have to do is find a good girl, marry her, have children, build a house, buy a car and a motorbike, create your own space, be friendly with the extended family but don't allow yourself to become an ATM.

That has worked for me. Still love the place and the people after all these years.

it is very difficult to do in Thailand and much more expensive than in another country..

1. build a house.. HA HA

a)You can not build a house in Thailand. Construction works are not available for foreigners. You can pay you to build a house.

B)

if you meet the Western standards it is expensive and sometimes 2 times.
  but even if you pay twice as much as no quality assurance.

the quality of construction works in Thailand awful. and the most important thing is no guarantee for this work.

c)but even if you built / I bought a house. you can not own legally in Thailand.

2. have children

in Thailand it is difficult to give a good education for children. and it is very expensive.

3. buy a car and a motorbike.

in Thailand, most expensive cars. and very little choice.

with motorcycles it was a little better.
  But the choice is less than in many countries and on many motorcycles price space.
With the motor-equipment generally difficult.
  The choice is very small, expensive prices...

So what you said. very difficult feasible in Thailand.
  And Thailand is not the best place for such plans

I personally enjoy spending 3 months in Thailand and 3 in the States. I have a nice house at a beautiful beach. I don't get bored. It's always a treat to change realities for a while and miss the other one. Of course I am open to this changing if there is a reason. I volunteer on the board for Thai Cultural Day in Los Angeles.

I think some people are just natural complainers but some are stuck, financially or otherwise. Maybe they are here because it is cheaper than home,  but it is not home to them. Or because they are shunned by the girls at home. I am always surprised when I meet an expat who doesn't eat Thai food, doesn't participate in the culture, doesn't know any Thai.

In general I like Thais, enjoy the culture and food. But that's just me. The OP has a positive attitude. Some people are not blessed like that.

21 minutes ago, elgenon said:

The OP has a positive attitude. Some people are not blessed like that.

He's also had positive experiences.  Some people are not blessed like that, either.

It's great to hear from people who like Thailand.  It's also great to get cautionary tales from folks who have stumbled into some of the pitfalls.  That's how we can learn to avoid them.

Not so great that some posters seem to judge others harshly who don't feel the same way or have the same life experiences.  On both sides. 

Not aimed at the OP, or at elgenon, BTW.  Just a convenient sentence to quote.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

You're right there, and I've often lamented the fact that it is difficult to scale back to an austere lifestyle because of societal pressures back home.  I'm hoping to leverage all I've learned in 15 years of living in Asia (small sq footage, fewer "conveniences", fewer shopping sprees, etc) when I repatriate.  Like you, though, I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to pull it off when the TV tells me I'm not adequate without Ford's latest.  Of course, 15 years living without broadcast or cable TV may help...

But I'm not sure settling in a village where I'd be living in the biggest house on the hill -and still be considered minimalist compared to back home-  is a better answer for me.  I'll take my chances that I've developed a thick enough skin to risk it back home.  Closer to family.

If I were to be (poorly) making a point, it's that Thailand fits some folks' lifestyles better than it fits others.  I know people who move here feeling like they were born for a Thai life.  I'm not ashamed to say- that's not me.  Lots of my likes aren't available, or only at great effort or in poor quality.   I've enjoyed working here but I don't aspire to retire here.  Nor do I begrudge anyone who loves the place and wants to spend the rest of their lives here.  I'm genuinely happy for them.

Man a breath of fresh air response. Thanks impulse. I agree with you 100%. If I was to ever move back it would likely be more challenging then it was leaving originally.  I don't think I want to have to sweat the nonsense and join the fray. If single maybe it would be easier but married I have to consider my wife's position.  Plus honestly I would have to work because I wouldn't move to a remote area where I could live on my investments and SS later.  

You know I admit it is very hard to scale back.  You get accustomed to a certain lifestyle and then you do a reset and for awhile it's ok but then the wants and desires usually return. Originally my wife and I were going to just refurbish the original house we had in the North.  But I was honest with myself that I likely couldn't live like that long term.  So we decided to clear slate and build a new house with modern conveniences. Best decision we made. We did a new house 2x bigger then the house I had in the US for about 70% less cost and paid cash. Done.  It's a weird feeling to own a house. I mean really own a house. No bills. To taxes. Yeah some will come on here and say you can't own your house but for the ones that know the truth you can.  I don't own the land but that's ok.  You don't really own it in the US either(at least in Cal they dont) because stop paying property tax and watch how fast the government puts a lien on it.  It's all an illusion sadly.

So in our case my house sale in the US was truly a nest egg.  I sold out. Took my one time capital gain tax exemption built our house here in Thailand and banked the rest.  I call it a huge win.

But to your point, living in Thailand or abroad for that matter, isn't for every one.  Especially ones who miss certain conveniences or need to be near family. I won't lie. There are some things I miss in the US but I have things to replace them here.  This is why I say I enjoy visiting the US just prefer not to live there anymore.   But I do understand the folks that pack up and move back.  

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

That happened in Maejo a few years ago, didn't it?  The German guy was on a motorcycle.  Not exactly a common occurrence, but I wouldn't recommend flipping anyone off. 

CA is such a big place.  Cities like Stockton or Vallejo are not like SF or Monterey.  But even in San Diego, La Jolla is not the same as Imperial Beach.  Yes, there's crime in Thailand, but some of the stuff in the US is pretty vicious.  There are places, say in LA, that you just don't go.  Like South Central.  Are there any places like that in Chiang Mai? 

It happened along a road called "Chiang Mai- Mae Jo Rd" in CM ... across from Meechok Plaza and Rimping.

Re your other comments, what I wrote about was in response to road rage specifically. 

However, I don't really agree that there are places in LA that you "just don't go." There are places you "just don't live" if you don't have to.  Most any place you can go if you have a need or desire to do something.  To put it simply, I don't live a lifestyle that attracts trouble, so even when I go to places that have a lot of trouble, it isn't a problem if you just use some common sense.  Obviously we can all be a victim of random events/crime.  I lived for some years on the beach in Venice ...that attracts "trouble" from all over LA in all forms ...that is a type of school you can't pay for!  I had work that took me to South Central and East LA on many, many occasions and I never had the smallest problem.  The type of movies you mention try to scare the crap out of you because it makes a good movie!!

Berkshire,

When you talk about what is  "common" or not ...and you say you think this is not very common?  I hate driving here and avoid it as much as possible.  I had one crazy car try to ram me repeatedly off the road in response to a small beep of my horn, when he almost hit me the first time (not an aggressive slamming down of my horn).  He was speeding like crazy, then would slow down, I would pass, then he would speed up and he would try to ram me off the road, exactly like I have seen videos of on TV.  This is just a few miles at most from the shooting in front of my house.  I sped up a lot, and he was chasing me, then I slammed on my brakes and turned into my daughter's school, he wasn't expecting that so he overshot the mark ....what did he do?  He stopped ...parked and got out of his car ..and WAITED for ME!!  I had to go deep in the back of the school and go find people to help me and then I was a bit worried for days after that  ...

That is the 2nd time I have had something like that happen ...that was the worst though ..the first was only a motorbike chasing me and swinging fists in the air because I beeped at him to warn him that he came about 2 mm from drifting into my car at 50 miles an hour ...he made a U turn on the superhwy and then followed me into a parking lot and I had to leave that place ...etc.

I am a female, I don't have weapons, what do you suppose I can do about those things when they happen??  Those were "low status" people/cars, and I am not in a "low status" car but they can see I am not Thai and female as I don't have the standard blackout windows. (I am not saying this because I think this way, but because they think this way.) 

I know many other people who have had things like this happen to them.  Road rage in the US, I only know about reports of stray bullets shot on the freeway, and then police catch the person at some point.  Period.  Millions and millions of commuters on those roads.

18 minutes ago, amykat said:

Berkshire,

When you talk about what is  "common" or not ...and you say you think this is not very common?  I hate driving here and avoid it as much as possible.  I had one crazy car try to ram me repeatedly off the road in response to a small beep of my horn, when he almost hit me the first time (not an aggressive slamming down of my horn).  He was speeding like crazy, then would slow down, I would pass, then he would speed up and he would try to ram me off the road, exactly like I have seen videos of on TV.  This is just a few miles at most from the shooting in front of my house.  I sped up a lot, and he was chasing me, then I slammed on my brakes and turned into my daughter's school, he wasn't expecting that so he overshot the mark ....what did he do?  He stopped ...parked and got out of his car ..and WAITED for ME!!  I had to go deep in the back of the school and go find people to help me and then I was a bit worried for days after that  ...

That is the 2nd time I have had something like that happen ...that was the worst though ..the first was only a motorbike chasing me and swinging fists in the air because I beeped at him to warn him that he came about 2 mm from drifting into my car at 50 miles an hour ...he made a U turn on the superhwy and then followed me into a parking lot and I had to leave that place ...etc.

I am a female, I don't have weapons, what do you suppose I can do about those things when they happen??  Those were "low status" people/cars, and I am not in a "low status" car but they can see I am not Thai and female as I don't have the standard blackout windows. (I am not saying this because I think this way, but because they think this way.) 

I know many other people who have had things like this happen to them.  Road rage in the US, I only know about reports of stray bullets shot on the freeway, and then police catch the person at some point.  Period.  Millions and millions of commuters on those roads.

There are times when it is not in your best interest to try and teach someone a lesson or be confrontational.  There is simply no upside to putting yourself in those kinds of situations regardless of how right you think you are.  Keep your distance from other driver, especially the erratic ones and don’t push their buttons.  It just isn’t worth it.  I have never encountered problems like yours in my 40 years in Thailand.

Edited by villagefarang

I have enjoyed reading this thread but personally can’t relate to a single post.  Some make more sense than others or are more thoughtful and balanced but nothing resembles my situation.  I guess there is really nothing new about that, however.  We all have our own unique stories and have to find a way to live with the choices we make.

Villagefarang,

I'm not sure why you think I was being confrontational.  I often think about the motorbike situation. Do I let them die?  Then have all the problems from that ...or beeb my horn to warn them?  With the car driver, it was the same thing, he raced ahead of me on a single lane uturn thing, scared the hell out of me, as a reflex I beeped, then when we got back on to the highway he started this game trying to ram me off the road. I kept thinking about how if I got stuck at a light, he might have a weapon and then get out of his vehicle and really do something else to me, if he didn't manage to ram me off the road before.  Like the German guy.

My comments about not having a weapon, is not because I want a confrontation ..I would think that is obvious!!  But because as a woman, I am not used to boxing anyone, and if I am cornered, I ALSO have no weapons ...what would you do, if at a light someone gets out of a car and starts BEATING YOU.  I guess you might have a chance? I am also small, like Thai people.  I will just do nothing and crumble I guess. 

Maybe in 40 years it hasn't happened to you, partially because you are a MAN?  And as a MAN, you hold more status here??  And as a farang man, you might be larger than many men here ...something like that....???

Edited by amykat

amykat,

Timing of a horn or flashing lights makes a difference.  If you do it early enough to be preventative, that is one thing, but if you do it after the fact to be punitive or show displeasure then you get a different response.  If you already know you would lose out in a physical confrontation, why would you do anything which might cause that to happen?  Being right is no protection from physical harm.

The reason these things don’t happen to me is because I don’t expect anythings from other drivers and I know it is my responsibility to avoid accidents by being alert and driving defensively.  If I don’t like something about the way someone else is driving, I either back off or make sure I can put some distance between us if I pass.

Edited by villagefarang

I like Thailand too. Have been here for a long time and have seen both good and bad. What makes Thailand good for me is that there is always people out and about socializing. In the morning the coffee shops are full, afternoon everyone having their lunch in the malls and around town, dinner and evening people sitting around street stands, at beer bars, along the river having drinks and eating. There is always someone to chat to and a friendly lady to give you a second look. For the most part it is a friendly place to meet people and enjoy life. Many dark things about Thailand and low life's lurking about but if you avoid the areas where they hang out and get home fairly early you can normally be safe.

Villagefarang,

I think your posts to me are condescending and rude.  A bit or a lot like blaming the victim. I'm not going to keep attempting to explain myself. You have stated above that you can't relate to anyone here and I can clearly see that.  I am happy that you live in state of perpetual perfection brought about by your own brilliance.  May you continue to enjoy that!

2 hours ago, ttthailand said:

I like Thailand too. Have been here for a long time and have seen both good and bad. What makes Thailand good for me is that there is always people out and about socializing. In the morning the coffee shops are full, afternoon everyone having their lunch in the malls and around town, dinner and evening people sitting around street stands, at beer bars, along the river having drinks and eating. There is always someone to chat to and a friendly lady to give you a second look. For the most part it is a friendly place to meet people and enjoy life. Many dark things about Thailand and low life's lurking about but if you avoid the areas where they hang out and get home fairly early you can normally be safe.

Great minds think alike...:smile:  Fortunately money is not a concern and I tend to live on the conservative side, below my means, it's worked great so far.  I am a recovering "car nut"  I was guilty of splurging on sports cars but I don't drive now.

I'm enjoying how little I can live on.  Mostly, fruits, nuts seeds, veggies and a little dairy.  I do like to have a couple of Beer Lao Dark regularly.

I like interacting with the Thais.  Even the ones who ignore or think "badly" of us and make it obvious.  It's pretty simple to turn it into a positive encounter by just staying cool and simple, usually.  Like I said i have traveled very extensively and live in other countries.   Right now I like the Thai "flavor" of everything.  Even when one of them is giving me a hard time I just crack up and they do too, usually.

Remember it's all an illusion.  It's all temporary...

1 hour ago, amykat said:

Villagefarang,

I think your posts to me are condescending and rude.  A bit or a lot like blaming the victim. I'm not going to keep attempting to explain myself. You have stated above that you can't relate to anyone here and I can clearly see that.  I am happy that you live in state of perpetual perfection brought about by your own brilliance.  May you continue to enjoy that!

Amy, I get what VF is trying to say.  Firstly, I can understand that being a woman may be different.  More the reason to be a bit defensive and docile. 

VF's point is honking your horn to avoid an accident is perfectly ok.  Just yesterday, I was cruising along in my lane when another car was slowly creeping into my lane.  I could tell he couldn't see me.  So I gave him a long, sustained horn.  He finally heard and went back into his lane.  No harm, no foul.  Now if the close-call has already passed and you're just honking at the guy to show him your displeasure, or to teach him a lesson, or even to warn him for the future...not the same thing.  That's all.

Hi Berkshire,

Thank you for your nice post.  Let's just assume that I know how to drive pretty well.  I grew up in LA and spent the majority of my life driving at least 4 hours a day in that traffic.  I lived in NYC and drove there.  I lived in Paris, France and drove there.  I've lived in many other places with  deep snow and different climates and cultures, and here for nearly 12 years.  The majority of the world uses the horn, including surrounding Asian countries.  To an extreme amount.  It is a safety devise not a shaming devise. I used it as such.  I also ONLY gave a short beep and never give it a big slam here.  I try to not use it here.  As I have stated, I am well aware of the consequences, like the shooting which was on my mind when the crazy man was chasing me/ ramming me.  I also am not inclined to do things like flip people off and have never done such a thing in my life. 

On the other hand, let's say I was in 7/11 and waiting in line, and some guy walks in, and goes to the front and starts ordering what he wants in front of all others.  (Like often happens here.)  And I step in front and put my things on the counter, and then he punches me, and then starts kicking me in the head repeatedly.  And then I post this story here.  Would you guys be ignoring what he did and instead be telling me that I was too aggressive and because that never happened to you, you think I did something wrong?

19 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

VF's point is honking your horn to avoid an accident is perfectly ok. 

Honking is considered offensive and an act of aggression in Thailand.  Whenever i hear someone honk and look to see who it is, almost always it's a farang.  Honking i is what starts many road rage incidents in places like the US.

Now in Vietnam, honk as much as you like and no one will take offense.

If you want to play the hypothetical blame game then sure the guy would be in the wrong but who ends up bloody and on the floor, and for what?  A few extra second at the 7/11 just isn’t worth a trip to the hospital or the police station, in my opinion.

In my opinion driving experience in more rigidly enforced rules-based countries is a real handicap to driving safely in Thailand, not a help.  Here you must depend more on yourself than on the rules if you want to stay safe.

Edited by villagefarang

Okay VF, but I put the things on the counter because I am tired of waiting in line and HOLDING them, so while I wait for jerky man to do his thing, I think I will just put my things there ...since I was next, and the counter is empty.  I have done this many times, and so far, nobody has attacked me. Those people who come in and start ordering don't have anything to put on the counter.  But see how you assumed that I was attempting to rush ahead of him?  Like you assumed I was a bad driver who made some mistakes and then tried to blast someone with my horn? 

Anyway, I think in many cases, the "road rage" person just realizes that they came seconds away from death. They then get a big surge of adrenaline.  A "normal" person is thankful for the honk that just saved their life.  A less than sane Thai person is mad as hell, because they are now embarrassed and they are experiencing a "fight or flight" moment.  So, they then check out what the target might be and decide what to do.  Target ... small farang woman ...no problem ..go for it!! 

Edited by amykat