Thailand is a better place than the UK, USA, Australia and Japan for expats to raise a family

webfact

Thailand is a better place than the UK, USA, Australia and Japan for expats to raise a family

sur.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is a better place than the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Malaysia, Japan, Switzerland, Italy and China for raising a family, according to a new global index.

According to HSBC’s Expat Explorer report, Thailand is the 17th best country in the world for expats to raise a family.

The report ranked the responses of expats who answered questions related to a number of factors such as, social life, childcare quality, school quality, quality of life, tolerance, closeness to partner, integration and overall cost of children.

Overall European countries fared the best, while South American nations came out poorly.

Sweden was ranked in first place, with nearly 75 percent of expat parents ranking their children’s quality of life better than it was back in their home country.

In second place was Czech Republic, while Singapore was in third place.

Thailand came 17th in the rankings, higher than the likes of Hong Kong (18), Australia (20), Japan (25), United Kingdom (29) and USA (37).

While Thailand ranked better than a number of more developed countries as a destination for expats to raise children, it didn’t fair quite as well when it came to the best destination for expats overall, ranking 24th, down from 21st in 2015.

Thailand did however, rank in 10th place for in the 'Experience' league table which ranks expats' views on such things as lifestyle, quality of life, how easily they can integrate with local people, and the ease of setting up - i.e finding accommodation.

It also ranked in second spot in the Family league table for 'Relationships', which considered such factors as whether the social life of an expat is more active than in their country of origin.

Screen Shot 2559-09-22 at 10.23.35 AM.png   Screen Shot 2559-09-22 at 10.29.44 AM.png

Experience league table                                                                                                       Family league table

For the second year running, Singapore topped the list as the best expatriate destination, while Switzerland was judged to offer the best wages, according to HSBC’s influential study.

Almost two thirds of expats surveyed told HSBC how the overall quality of their live had improved since moving to Singapore.

HSBC, which interviewed 27,000 people in 190 countries in order to compile the study, defines an expat as an adult currently living away from their country of origin.

Read the full report here.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-22

Screen Shot 2559-09-22 at 10.17.04 AM.png

10 minutes ago, keith101 said:

another survey that shows such a low percentage of people its just a waste of time , an average of 142 per country what a joke .

This is about free advertising for HSBC.  The survey is statistical spam.

The 27,000 expats surveyed seem to be your "average Joe" as the only criteria to be a customer and a participant in the survey is "New customers need to hold a minimum of £60,000 or currency equivalent in deposits and/or investments with us."

I am sure the vast majority of posters in this forum, more than meet the criteria.

Yes it's better... if you can get a decent visa without having to make tricks.... (fake company, visa runs, ... is it a way of living?)

Only decent way is Thai elite but then it's expensive for a farang family :shock1:
The day Thailand will accept people come to spend, without hassling them for visa, it will be nice and I will come back with my family.

Edited by khman

"HSBC, which interviewed 27,000 people in 190 countries in order to compile the study, defines an expat as an adult currently living away from their country of origin."

This survey treats all expats the same. There doesn't appear to be distinction between very wealthy, educated, working, retired, ethnicity, etc. Each having different needs and expectations from the country in which they want to reside. I also doubt that ease of residential and work visas/permits was factored in. I am sure if that was one of the criteria, Thailand would not have placed in the top 50. Scientifically, it's a useless survey. There might be other more accurate surveys which do not hold Thailand in such good light. However, since this one meets Thailand's needs, they will use if for publicity.

The education aspect is confusing. How many of the expats in the Thailand survey put their kids into the international school system, and how many in the Thai system? It seems likely, given who did the survey, that the majority of respondents would go the international school route. No way is Thailand's education good enough to deserve a high ranking.

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

The 27,000 expats surveyed seem to be your "average Joe" as the only criteria to be a customer and a participant in the survey is "New customers need to hold a minimum of £60,000 or currency equivalent in deposits and/or investments with us."

I am sure the vast majority of posters in this forum, more than meet the criteria.

That's their min requirement to be, and maintain, Premier banking status.

They send the survey out to their customers on-line and then issue the results. Always contains some odd looking statistics.

13 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"HSBC, which interviewed 27,000 people in 190 countries in order to compile the study, defines an expat as an adult currently living away from their country of origin."

This survey treats all expats the same. There doesn't appear to be distinction between very wealthy, educated, working, retired, ethnicity, etc. Each having different needs and expectations from the country in which they want to reside. I also doubt that ease of residential and work visas/permits was factored in. I am sure if that was one of the criteria, Thailand would not have placed in the top 50. Scientifically, it's a useless survey. There might be other more accurate surveys which do not hold Thailand in such good light. However, since this one meets Thailand's needs, they will use if for publicity.

They don't interview respondents. It's on-line so the answers are not probed or discussed in any way.

I think thai education is not so bad. in the USA by example they have no idea where France or thailand is.
I think Thai children are more polite and show more respect than children in the USA.

USA is based on how much you consume, Thailand is based on experience. in a Thai school they teach experience so if you have a child in a Thai school, I think he will become a good kid. plus he will speak 2 languages or more.

Im from the US and I know where France and Thailand are.

Your opinion is wrong.

I guess you learned a lot in your education wherever it was....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

59 minutes ago, returnofthailand said:

you "from" the USA, you are not "in" the USA.
let me be clear on that, go to the USA and say you are from Thailand, they have no idea where it is. don't tell me these Americans are smart. I lived there for years, and Americans are the most clueless people I have met in my life. you just need to look at what they eat. all their life is centered about their dumb job, their TV full of war propaganda, video games, and buy the last gadgets . forget talking with them, it s all about "cool" "suck " and" awesome", they are just all boring. it's really a country I despise, it s a shame because the USA could be much more than that.

A bit bit harsh saying you despise the USA..... It's not that bad.....

i actually like  it for many reasons....., but as we all know we all have our likes and dislikes....

1 hour ago, returnofthailand said:

you "from" the USA, you are not "in" the USA.
let me be clear on that, go to the USA and say you are from Thailand, they have no idea where it is. don't tell me these Americans are smart. I lived there for years, and Americans are the most clueless people I have met in my life. you just need to look at what they eat. all their life is centered about their dumb job, their TV full of war propaganda, video games, and buy the last gadgets . forget talking with them, it s all about "cool" "suck " and" awesome", they are just all boring. it's really a country I despise, it s a shame because the USA could be much more than that.

Such an ignorant comment. So you met a large percentage of 320 million Americans across thousands and thousands of kilometers??  Just love how you didn't include where you originate from. I'm sure they don't care about their work ( you say that is a negative thing lol) and no one in your one horse county plays with gadgets. How many inventions came out of your country recently?  I'm sure everyone in your country is interesting!!!  This survey is so wrong and it's for sure not awesome or cool. Let's all speak the same English as our grad dads. Now that's interesting!!

2 hours ago, returnofthailand said:

I think the thai education is not so bad. in the USA by example they have no idea where France or Thailand is.
I think Thai children are more polite and show more respect than children in the USA.

USA is based on how much you consume, Thailand is based on experience. in a Thai school they teach experience so if you have a child in a Thai school, I think he will become a good kid. plus he will speak 2 languages or more.

What rubbish!!!  Or are you joking?

Thailand = poor education, poor healthcare, unstable relationships ( between Thais ) , Poor integration ( We are Thai you are a Farang and always will be ) No property ownership for a non Thai, Very few job opportunities , poor safety for children ( hundreds have disappeared without trace )  etc etc etc BUT I love it here despite all its restrictions . Low cost of living at the moment and relaxed lifestyle 

Xcuse me,i woz brung up in ingland in the Uk,n i add a grate ejucashon.i can reed right and am good at my job.in fact i is the numre wun manooer shuvler in my   teem.I add an appy chid odd and we add grate olidays in laysdown,

(My dad told me dat its a resort 22 mils off der Frog coast)Der winkals took sum chewin tho.Ingland is a grate place to raze a family,espesha ly when you considder

all der benifits dat me dad an mum get for me and my 13 bruvvers and sissters.

DERr uK rocs.

New Zealand no. 1! They must be joking:

Retirement visa for New Zealand... 

"NZD $750,000 (approximately £375,000) in qualifying investments, as well as NZD $500,000 (£250,000) for maintenance, and an annual income of at least NZD $60,000 (£30,000) from pensions and other investments."

:cheesy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/before-you-go/11192243/Retiring-to-New-Zealand-what-you-need-to-know.html

2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

"NZD $750,000 (approximately £375,000) in qualifying investments, as well as NZD $500,000 (£250,000) for maintenance, and an annual income of at least NZD $60,000 (£30,000) from pensions and other investments."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/before-you-go/11192243/Retiring-to-New-Zealand-what-you-need-to-know.html

Well, that's how you get quality expats, or quality expat crooks - one of the two. Thailand please take note. :partytime2:

I'm about to leave Thailand to see out my days in NZ. Guess that No.1 spot is safe for a few more years. :w00t:

12 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

The list is about raising a family, not retirement. Quite a different stage in life. Although I must admit that only in Thailand poor old Western geezers somehow manage to combine the two. 

Edited by Gulfsailor

4 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

The list is about raising a family, not retirement. Quite a different stage in life. Although I must admit that only in Thailand poor old Western geezers somehow manage to combine the two. 

4 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:
15 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

No it isn't. It's for retirement.

Did you read the article?

"The temporary retirement visa offers a two-year permit for British people who wish to spend some of their retirement in New Zealand, provided that they invest in the country.

It requires at least NZD $750,000 (approximately £375,000) in qualifying investments, as well as NZD $500,000 (£250,000) for maintenance, and an annual income of at least NZD $60,000 (£30,000) from pensions and other investments. This visa can be renewed after two years, provided that settlers continue to meet the criteria."

Here's the "parent visa":

"The parent visa grants permanent residency to applicants who have an equal number or more of their family inside New Zealand than anywhere else. These applicants are, however, also required to meet financial criteria, as they must offer at least NZD $1 million (approximately £500,000) in qualifying investments over four years, as well as NZD $500,000 (£250,000) for maintenance and an income of at least NZD $60,000 (£30,000) per annum. "

7 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

That means I have to wait for the survey of irascible, curmudgeonly old reprobates? I must be on the list for that one.