Fund Seasoning with Type O Visa

I'm coming up on my 4th year here with a Type O Visa, US citizen, with Thai wife. Date on my extension stamp is Oct. 23.

My funds were needed for other things during this last year and the funds were not replaced until Sept. 1.  

What are my options since the requirement is, IIRC, 2 months and I will be short of that seasoning requirement on Oct. 23rd.  I realize this is a non-negotiable requirement.  I recall there is a 60 Day extension that I got when I first arrived here to allow for my fund seasoning back then.  Is that what I need?

Thanks in advance!

You will not be able to get another 60 day extension if you have gotten one already for the entry you have been extending since only one extension is allowed per entry. If that is the case you will have to go out for a new single entry non-o visa and then apply for your extension.

14 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

OMG.  I have to leave the country?

If Immigration won't give you a 60 day extension you have no choice but to leave and get a new visa. They are easy to get with signed copies of your marriage certificate, wife's ID and Tabien Baan.

If you are also the parent of a Thai they might process your application as a parent and waive the need for the funds to be seasoned.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

OMG.  I have to leave the country?

If you have gotten a 60 day extension for the last entry you did with a visa you will have no choice but to out for a single entry non-o visa.

Others have had the same problem. There was one case where another 60 day extension was done in error and the application was rejected at the division headquarters where it was sent for approval.

Edit: You can easily get a single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet. In Penang you could get one but would need to show your bank book to show the money in the bank.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have gotten a 60 day extension for the last entry you did with a visa you will have no choice but to out for a single entry non-o visa.

Others have had the same problem. There was one case where another 60 day extension was done in error and the application was rejected at the division headquarters where it was sent for approval.

Edit: You can easily get a single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet. In Penang you could get one but would need to show your bank book to show the money in the bank.

I've never had to do this before so forgive my naive questions.  This is such a shock although I know it's an everyday experience for many.

Do I need to fly out or go overland or does it matter?

Does my wife need to go with me?

Anything else I need to bring with me besides "signed copies of your marriage certificate, wife's ID and Tabien Baan."

Which marriage certificate?  Our U.S. one or the one we had translated?

What forms will I need to have filled out?

Are  Vientiane or Savannakhet and Penang my only options to do this?

college_freak_out-480x280.jpg

Edited by emanphoto

20 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

Do I need to fly out or go overland or does it matter?

Does my wife need to go with me?

Anything else I need to bring with me besides "signed copies of your marriage certificate, wife's ID and Tabien Baan."

Which marriage certificate?  Our U.S. one or the one we had translated?

What forms will I need to have filled out?

Are  Vientiane or Savannakhet and Penang my only options to do this?

1. You can travel by air or land.
  2. No.
  3. Copies of your passport; ID page and maybe the Laos entry stamp. 2 x photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm).
  4. They should accept either.
  5. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa Application Form_new_V_13_8_2558.pdf
  6. No but they are the easiest places to apply.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

Also, will I need to bother getting a re-entry permit if I fly out?

No. Your existing permission to stay will end on exit. When you re-enter with the new Non 'O' visa you'll be granted permission to stay for 90 days and can apply for the 1 year extension of stay within the last 30 (maybe 45) days.

• Like 1

Just now, emanphoto said:

Thank you very much @ubonjoe and @elviajero!  I'm sure I will come up with more questions.  I'm going to start looking for cheap flights I guess! :sad:

For Vientiane you can fly domestic to Udon Thani and can take van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Khai.

Air Asia has low cost flights to Vientiane from Don Mueang.

• Like 1

How long of a stay should I plan for?  Obviously I assume it to be pointless to be there over a weekend.

As far as a departure date, I just need to leave before Oct. 23rd correct?  Any safety margin I need to have there?

Yep the Air Asia flights are the cheapest I've seen so far in my quick look.  

3 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

How long of a stay should I plan for?  Obviously I assume it to be pointless to be there over a weekend.

As far as a departure date, I just need to leave before Oct. 23rd correct?  Any safety margin I need to have there?

Yep the Air Asia flights are the cheapest I've seen so far in my quick look.  

You apply for the visa by 11:30 the morning of the first day and pick up your passport the next after noon at 13:30.

You could leave on the 23rd but best to do it the no later than the day before in case of a unforeseen delay.

• Like 1

Thanks again @ubonjoe.

I'm filling out what I can of the pdf visa form @elviajero directed me to now and I have a bunch of questions.  I work with Acrobat so I can keep a copy of all my forms and just change the necessary info before I print them out.  I may already have the answers to some of these questions but I want to make sure.   

1.  "occupation"  at the moment I have put "husband"  as I do not work here.  Is that correct?

2.  "address in Lao PDR"  This would this be my hotel I assume?

3.  "address in country of residence"  I assume this is my present address here in BKK?

4.  "date of arrival in Thailand"   This would be my return date from Lao?

5.  "duration of proposed stay"  Should I say 1 year since I will be getting an extension of stay?

6.  I'm checking the "non-immigrant" box.  In that same box they ask, 

"Please specify purpose of visit"  Would that be "To live with my Thai wife"?

7. "Proposed address in Thailand"  This would be my present address I assume?

8.  "Name and contact of guarantor in Thailand"  This would be my wife?  Does our address need to be squeezed in there too?

9.  "name and contact of guarantor in Lao PDR"  I have no idea about this one!

Thank you all in advance.  

12 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

Thanks again @ubonjoe.

I'm filling out what I can of the pdf visa form @elviajero directed me to now and I have a bunch of questions.  I work with Acrobat so I can keep a copy of all my forms and just change the necessary info before I print them out.  I may already have the answers to some of these questions but I want to make sure.   

1.  "occupation"  at the moment I have put "husband"  as I do not work here.  Is that correct?

2.  "address in Lao PDR"  This would this be my hotel I assume?

3.  "address in country of residence"  I assume this is my present address here in BKK?

4.  "date of arrival in Thailand"   This would be my return date from Lao?

5.  "duration of proposed stay"  Should I say 1 year since I will be getting an extension of stay?

6.  I'm checking the "non-immigrant" box.  In that same box they ask, 

"Please specify purpose of visit"  Would that be "To live with my Thai wife"?

7. "Proposed address in Thailand"  This would be my present address I assume?

8.  "Name and contact of guarantor in Thailand"  This would be my wife?  Does our address need to be squeezed in there too?

9.  "name and contact of guarantor in Lao PDR"  I have no idea about this one!

Thank you all in advance.  

1. What your occupation before, I don't think husband is an occupation.

2/3/4. OK

5. 90 days is what the visa allows

6/7. OK

8. Yes  Write same as proposed address.

8. Leave blank

I operated a photo lab before I moved here and have zero plans for renewing that profession.  I'm also a photographer which is a prohibited profession here unless I hire 4 Thais blablabla so that isn't happening either.  

I was asked by the re-entry permit lady at swampy once when leaving BKK for the US what job I do here.  I told her I'm a house husband.  :) 

17 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

I operated a photo lab before I moved here and have zero plans for renewing that profession.  I'm also a photographer which is a prohibited profession here unless I hire 4 Thais blablabla so that isn't happening either.  

I was asked by the re-entry permit lady at swampy once when leaving BKK for the US what job I do here.  I told her I'm a house husband.  :) 

I don't think really matters what you put for occupation. I am not ever sure if they even much attention to what you put on the form.

Put husband if you want to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In doing my research for this trip, I have googled the location of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane thinking this is where I will be going.  Here is the link.

https://goo.gl/maps/4bTmrgs8HA52

This Thai Consular site (http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/) gives, what I assume is the correct location here https://goo.gl/maps/rh1pKRguBc82

Is the Thai Consular site the correct place to go?  

Thank you!

EDIT: Sorry I have re:read the timing and next day pickup is correct.

Edited by emanphoto

I'm also reading that Savannakhet is a much easier place to get this done with fewer people.

"The Thai Consulate in Vientiane is widely used by foreigners doing it themselves and most visa run services from Bangkok. Some days there are a couple hundred people there before they open up. It might be better to go to the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet. It’s far less crowded."

Anyone here find this to be true?

In doing my research for this trip, I have googled the location of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane thinking this is where I will be going.  Here is the link.
https://goo.gl/maps/4bTmrgs8HA52
This Thai Consular site (http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/) gives, what I assume is the correct location here https://goo.gl/maps/rh1pKRguBc82

Is the Thai Consular site the correct place to go?  

Thank you!

EDIT: Sorry I have re:read the timing and next day pickup is correct.

This page has a map for the consular section in Vientiane. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/consular/visa.php
If you only want a single entry non-o it is good place to go. Avoid Mondays and Thursdays and it will not be busy since those are the days the visa run vans show up.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emanphoto said:

I'm also reading that Savannakhet is a much easier place to get this done with fewer people.

Savannakhet is generally less busy and IMO better organised, but as long as you apply in Vientiane on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday it's ok. If you apply on a Friday you have to wait until Monday to collect the passport/visa.

• Like 1

We're leaving on Monday and returning Sunday so that should cover it time-wise.  :) 

I do have another question as I was going through the Thai consulate site to cross check the recommendations here.  They mention a letter my wife needs to supply saying we're still together/married.  I pasted their requirements below.  This is the link I took it from.

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf

Any comments on the wife's letter they are requesting? It's the first I've heard of it from any source.

For the purpose of visit family (Type “O”) /ສໍາລັບຜູ້ທີ່ມີຈຸດປະສົງຢ້ຽມຢາມຄົນໃນຄອບຄົວ - To visit as the spouse of a Thai Nationality, fiancé and fiancée are not included in this category. ເພື່ອຢ້ຽມຢາມຄູ່ສົມລົດສັນຊາດໄທ, ສ່ວນຄູ່ໝັ້ນແມ່ນບໍ່ລວມໃນວີຊ່າປະເພດນີ້.

- A copy of valid and effective marriage certificate. ສໍາເນົາທະບຽນສົມລົດທີ່ຖືກຕ້ອງຕາມກົດໝາຍ.

- A copy of Thai passport or Thai I.D. and House Registration of the spouse. ສໍາເນົາໜັງສືຜ່ານແດນ ຫຼື ບັດປະຈໍາຕົວໄທ ແລະທະບຽນບ້ານ ຂອງຄູ່ສົມລົດສັນຊາດໄທ

- A letter from the spouse verifying that the applicant and the spouse are still married and the purpose to visit Thailand. ໜັງສືຈາກຄູ່ສົມລົດທີ່ຢັ້ງຢືນວ່າທ່ານ ແລະ ຄູ່ສົມລົດຍັງຢູ່ໃນສະຖານະແຕ່ງງານຢູ

Edited by emanphoto

29 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

We're leaving on Monday and returning Sunday so that should cover it time-wise.  :) 

I do have another question as I was going through the Thai consulate site to cross check the recommendations here.  They mention a letter my wife needs to supply saying we're still together/married.  I pasted their requirements below.  This is the link I took it from.

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf

Any comments on the wife's letter they are requesting? It's the first I've heard of it from any source.

For the purpose of visit family (Type “O”) /ສໍາລັບຜູ້ທີ່ມີຈຸດປະສົງຢ້ຽມຢາມຄົນໃນຄອບຄົວ - To visit as the spouse of a Thai Nationality, fiancé and fiancée are not included in this category. ເພື່ອຢ້ຽມຢາມຄູ່ສົມລົດສັນຊາດໄທ, ສ່ວນຄູ່ໝັ້ນແມ່ນບໍ່ລວມໃນວີຊ່າປະເພດນີ້.

- A copy of valid and effective marriage certificate. ສໍາເນົາທະບຽນສົມລົດທີ່ຖືກຕ້ອງຕາມກົດໝາຍ.

- A copy of Thai passport or Thai I.D. and House Registration of the spouse. ສໍາເນົາໜັງສືຜ່ານແດນ ຫຼື ບັດປະຈໍາຕົວໄທ ແລະທະບຽນບ້ານ ຂອງຄູ່ສົມລົດສັນຊາດໄທ

- A letter from the spouse verifying that the applicant and the spouse are still married and the purpose to visit Thailand. ໜັງສືຈາກຄູ່ສົມລົດທີ່ຢັ້ງຢືນວ່າທ່ານ ແລະ ຄູ່ສົມລົດຍັງຢູ່ໃນສະຖານະແຕ່ງງານຢູ

They don't ask for the letter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Lao and I thought I should report on how it went.  Thanks to @unbonjoe and @elviajero everything went smoothly.  I was prepared for anything.  I didn't want to make a trip all the way there and be rejected because I didn't have something. 

As has been mentioned do not bother to talk to anyone outside of the consular property as there is nothing they can do for you.

One presents their papers at a table outside to a lady working there.  They did ask for copies of my Lao visa that I got on arrival.  Copies can be made in the office adjacent to the outdoor waiting area and was no biggie.  Once I presented her with everything after making my copies, she gave me a numbered slip and directed me to one of 2 lines.  There, you hand them your papers and passport and hang onto that numbered slip putting it in a safe place.  Don't lose it!

The next day they begin calling numbers which are also displayed on a board above the windows.  When called, you will get your passport returned with your new visa after paying (in my case) 2000B. 

Thanks again, @unbonjoe and @elviajero for all you patience and help.

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG