Stormy Phuket weather collapses lifeguard watchtower

webfact

Stormy Phuket weather collapses lifeguard watchtower

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1474611967_1-org.jpg

A team of workers will inspect and ‘make repairs’ to the collapsed Phuket lifeguard tower today (Sept 23). Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: -- The strong wind and heavy rain over the past week has brought down a lifeguard watchtower found collapsed on Karon Beach today (Sept 23).

The remains of the watchtower were found strewn across the ground by lifeguards as they turned up for duty halfway along Karon Beach this morning, explained Prathaiyuth Chuayuan, Chief of the Phuket Lifeguard Service.

“The weather finally took its toll, though all 12 lifeguard towers in Phuket have received little maintenance,” he said.

“Luckily this one is not in use that much as it is too far from where swimmers enter the water, but we will set up a tent for lifeguards so they can use that location as a base for their beach patrols,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/stormy-phuket-weather-collapses-lifeguard-watchtower-59208.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-23

Must be the reason they removed the tower from Jomtien Beach during recent "improvement". That one was made of metal, but can never be too careful. Plus maybe if the three lifeguards I've seen here (always together, always looking at their phones) would be too much weight if they all got up there. Especially with all the weight of their head to toe outfits, lifeguard ID vests, etc etc.

so the ''Chief'' says ' all 12 lifeguard towers in Phuket have received little maintenance,”.

I guess, like so many things, maintenance is just not in the job description. Imagine the 800 million baht boondoggle at Surin Beach. All the moneyy will be budgeted and spent, wihout any reserves put aside for its maintenance. Thank goodness I dont pay the same level of taxes as I did in my home country.