Australia crowned as the world's best steak producer

Jonathan Fairfield

A pay to play promotional event.  This advertising group does make full disclosure of the  business motive.

The World Steak Challenge is organised by William Reed Business Media (WRBM) - publisher of international news website GlobalMeatNews.com and UK trade publication Meat Trades Journal.

It's like saying Japan has the best cars in the world, surly not ALL the Aussie steaks are world class as I can attest to it personally, What cut, what producer, what bread, grass or grain fed?  is it available to everybody or just to select few?..... 

It depends on the individuals taste who is to judge. There are several things that affect taste /tenderness, including the age, weight and sex of beef, diet fed, handling, ageing of slaughtered beef, which steak your presented with, etc.

Just to clarify, it was one farm in Aussie that produced "the best sirloin steak".  That doesn't mean all Aussie steak won a gold medal.  I prefer roast rib of beef, so this contest is just hype for bbq lovers.  Good advert for Aussie steak, but really BS.

I've raised cattle for beef and have a pretty good idea of good beef from not so good beef.  Overall, I'd have to say that Australian beef is one of the best.   I've bought a fair amount of it in Thailand and it's consistently very good.  

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I've raised cattle for beef and have a pretty good idea of good beef from not so good beef.  Overall, I'd have to say that Australian beef is one of the best.   I've bought a fair amount of it in Thailand and it's consistently very good.  

Which do you prefer grass or grain fed?

Well, I do believe some people are having a little bit of fun with this thread.   I've lived and worked in a great number of countries and I've had some great steaks in some very unusual places.  

The best steak I've ever had was from my own home-raised beef, but there may have been some bias.   The thing I have found about Australian beef is that it is consistently good.   Maybe I've been lucky, but if so, I've been lucky for a long time with Australian beef.  

Well, I do believe some people are having a little bit of fun with this thread.   I've lived and worked in a great number of countries and I've had some great steaks in some very unusual places.  

The best steak I've ever had was from my own home-raised beef, but there may have been some bias.   The thing I have found about Australian beef is that it is consistently good.   Maybe I've been lucky, but if so, I've been lucky for a long time with Australian beef.  

I am sorry to say that I don't agree with this assumption. Australian Beef is not he best. The best Beef Steak I have ever eaten many times was from Black Angus Restaurant in the USA.  Black Angus is the best tasting Beef their is!

It is not just a question of what you feed your Beef Cattle as in grass or grain fed, and how you control their diet, as to control fat content. Perhaps one of the most important process in having good beef is the aging process, which it seems very few countries outside of the USA and Canada know how to do right. 

Aging naturally tenderizes the beef and also brings out the flavor. Meet needs to hang for at least 2 weeks (sometimes a bit longer) in a well ventilated but also clean room, at a temperature between 1 and 3 C, and the room humidity controlled to no more than 85%. It is very important to control this as if the temperature is colder than this the meat will freeze and not age. If it is warmer than this, the meat could spoil. Bacteria could also spoil the meat if the room is not well ventilated or the humidity is too high. 

So the next time you have a Steak that is as tough as a Running Shoe, this is probably why. That it wasn't aged properly or at all. 

Well, I think the very best steak I have ever had (outside of my own homegrown beef) was actually in Amsterdam and it was shortly after the outbreak of Mad Cow Disease.   As a fairly regular consumer of beef and having done a lot of traveling, I figured if I was going to get it, I already had it.  

Some rather ordinary to slightly upscale restaurant had steaks and the cost was greatly reduced in price -- it seemed I was one of the few willing to eat any beef.   I got the finest and it was absolutely great.   It was huge, cooked to perfection and as tender as a baby's bottom.  

Throughout Europe I had some great beef, but it was not consistently good -- sometimes a cheaper cut in a not so nice restaurant was better than the more expensive cut in an upscale restaurant.  The beef that came from the UK seemed to be consistently good.  

US and Canadian beef are excellent as well and Black Angus is great although I have a weakness for the fine marbling of Charolais cattle.   And Texas, of course, has some great beef.  

I had beef in Turkey and the Middle East that was indistinguishable from shoe leather.   It couldn't even be used to make a decent stew.  

I haven't had the opportunity to sample the beef in the country of Australia, but the imported beef from Australia is very good, and consistently high quality and not too badly priced.  

Damn, now I am hungry and the closest thing I can get to beef is a McDonald's!

Eating good beef might be best tested by eating dry aged prime rib of beef as opposed to a steak.  If my memory is correct Lawrys ages their prime rib 27 days.  And they don't use prime they use choice.  

Notice that ‘A’ in the USA grading system relates to the highest eating quality – exactly opposite to Australia where ‘A’ is for a full-mouth beast.  Theirs (USA) is a more honest grade to give to young beef, compared to the mafia of greed here.  Australia must be such a success for the multinational abattoirs. 

In Australia we have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on MSA grading.  It was watered down due to pressure from non-adoption, or a lack of promotion by the retailers, and this is what we have now.     

It is interesting to watch Australian producers get half of the cattle prices that the USA producer receives.  Yet, consumers in the USA buy their beef at very reduced prices compared to Australian consumers.  On average about $3/kg cheaper.   http://austbeef.com.au/2014/08/06/1283/

http://www.lawrysonline.com

Lawrys.jpg

Edited by Scotwight
text add