Proving Thais can sleep anywhere - classic picture as thief arrested stripping wires in Chachoengsao

rooster59

Proving Thais can sleep anywhere - classic picture as thief arrested stripping wires in Chachoengsao

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOuqvm98aM2WDveVONaq70Kd0giOw3PAhb5CAyfQv.jpg

Image: Thairath

CHACHOENGSAO:-- It is a classic picture perhaps proving the theory that Thais really can sleep anywhere.

A man under a towel still in the land of nod and surrounded by cops.

In his hand there is a knife as he is stripping the copper out of some wires he "found" in the early morning.

The kind cops let him sleep for a while as they searched a fertilizer sack next to him that contained three phones and various incriminating tools.

When they took off the towel he was still spark out. So they roused him and slapped on the handcuffs - much to his bewilderment.

He was named only as "Toss".

Locals had reported him earlier when they had seen a bike propped up under the elevated section on the Bang Na - Trat Road in the Chachoengsao area.

Toss told the cops he had borrowed the bike from his mate "Bank" and driven to Bang Saen. On the way back he had found some wires and decided to strip them for the copper inside. But he must have fallen asleep.

Police checked on the providence of the bike and found that it was stolen. Toss was charged with theft or receiving stolen goods and detained.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-24

This is getting ridiculous -  he was not named as "Toss". His name is "Tot" or "ten" in English.

This is someone translating very badly, with no knowledge of the Thai alphabet or just making it up for replies.

Edited by Johnniey

21 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Think you may have missed the point of the article.

You miss  my point, whoever is translating these headlines is making up the headlines shown here. 

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/732000

This is nothing about Thais being able to sleep anywhere. The headline should read, "thief caught napping" or similar.

As a translator, I was trained never to give my own opinions when translating texts.

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

You miss  my point, whoever is translating these headlines is making up the headlines shown here. 

This is nothing about Thais being able to sleep anywhere. The headline should read, "thief caught napping" or similar.

As a translator, I was trained never to give my own opinions when translating texts.

It is a fun story, it doesnt need to be translated exactly as it was written in the Thai press. If stories on Thaivisa were direct translations from the Thai press it would make for a boring site...they often need an angle to give them more relevance or interest to the non Thai community.

As far as the name goes lots of Thais translierat ศ at the end of a syllable as an s so maybe Toss is not so wrong. I would say that the English version of the story gets the essence of the Thai story well. 

But then you sound like an expert translator....

7 hours ago, Johnniey said:

This is getting ridiculous -  he was not named as "Toss". His name is "Tot" or "ten" in English.

This is someone translating very badly, with no knowledge of the Thai alphabet or just making it up for replies.

Just a tosser then.

19 hours ago, Johnniey said:

This story is a lot about Thais being able to sleep anywhere, I wouldn't have clicked on it of it were about aThai stealing a bike. I am amazed and jealous of how Thais can sleep standing on their head. Maybe you are splitting hairs like the difference between a Visa and an extension, who gives a shit.

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

This story is a lot about Thais being able to sleep anywhere, I wouldn't have clicked on it of it were about aThai stealing a bike. I am amazed and jealous of how Thais can sleep standing on their head. Maybe you are splitting hairs like the difference between a Visa and an extension, who gives a shit.

No it isn't. I't about a thief who fell asleep.

I guarantee that if you google , "burglar caught napping", you'll find stories from many countries but not Thailand.

43 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

No it isn't. I't about a thief who fell asleep.

I guarantee that if you google , "burglar caught napping", you'll find stories from many countries but not Thailand.

What the hell are you talking about the author has the right to make any headline he likes wether you like it or not. The headline says Proving Thais can sleep anywhere, now he may or may not have worded that correctly but that is his head line. I guarantee you if you google " Thais can sleep anywhere'  you will not get stories of burglars in other countries.