Automatic camera fines for not wearing helmets to launch in Phuket

rooster59

I bet those cameras will be damaged within a week!

In the U.S. many of similar cameras were paid for by Automobile Insurance Companies.

The more tickets, the higher the premiums. 

However, most in AZ were taken down due to pressure put on the politicians. 

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Funds provided by the UK based " safer roads foundation " more Brit cash pi55ed up the wall. A total waste of time and effort. The Thais will find a way to evade it as usual. Wonder what happens when Johnny Tourist rides by on his rental bike without a helmet ? If the postal fine takes a week or so to arrive at the rental place the guilty party may have already left Thailand. Can't see the bike rental mafia being happy if they left holding the baby. :rolleyes:

The fact that it's based in UK doesn't mean it's all UK money... could be one of the various ways in which EU wastes money too. If you visit the SRF homepage you will see that they have some connection to the European Transport Safety Council. Interestingly their "cases studies" in Asia are all in major touristic destination (Samui, Chiang Mai, Bali). I am guessing that a part of those 15M Baht are actually to pay for the trips of a few experts down to Phuket.

As pointed out by you and others, the project is full of inconsistencies and technologically will simply never work.

11 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

The fact that it's based in UK doesn't mean it's all UK money... could be one of the various ways in which EU wastes money too. If you visit the SRF homepage you will see that they have some connection to the European Transport Safety Council. Interestingly their "cases studies" in Asia are all in major touristic destination (Samui, Chiang Mai, Bali). I am guessing that a part of those 15M Baht are actually to pay for the trips of a few experts down to Phuket.

As pointed out by you and others, the project is full of inconsistencies and technologically will simply never work.

see id 34

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“The cameras can also sense vehicles that cross stop lines at intersections, so if a motorist crosses a stop line while the light facing them is red, we will be able to automatically fine them running a red light,” he said.

I remember last time they did such a test with 10 cameras in Bangkok for 1 month, they registered 76.000 offenders, though in my opinion a camera that can detect helmless riders is an early April joke.

11 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Is he implicitly saying that you can normally defend your traffic violations by simply stating: "oh, i didn't know the law was being applied here"?

:stoner:

Great Bob !!! Hahahahahaha with this you can get away with everything !!! You never know where Thai law is is aplied then by this statement. Really true remarkable statement.

Probably thats is why so many traffic violations can be done.

Helmets is 1 thing, but they forget about when you encounter a Thai driving TOWARDS you on the same site at the weirdest moments, you find yourself getting a heart attack and making the weirdest movements to avoid a collision.

Not only with motors , but aswell with cars.

I found out,

lines on the road dont mean a thing to them. It is just about the shortest way and where there is space you use it. 

Motor bikes with 3,4 or even more people on bike, including llittle kids in between or in front. Or pick up trucks loaded with people is normal (?)

Red lights are to be ignored as much possible.

Not every traffic light is with  seperated lights for a direction, the light turns green( straight ahead !), but for a right turn some time later (after straight on is on red) follows a tiny green light with arrow for right turn.  You have to watch for it carefully, if its there !!

No real rules about who is going first in certain conditions. Just push and pull, but also has to be, as governement not always follow with the increasing flow of vehicles in roads

Overtaking in any way as possible, right or left doesnt mater. Sort of keep your lane system.

Police officers having gym and whistle testing in high time hours, not more coz they act on the traffic lights. And when they are leaving, you have to avoid a collision with them !!

Roads with no reflecting material and or even light, aswell even without lines, so you really dont know where the road ends or the other side is. Specially nice when its dark or raining hard.

No lights on of vehicles when its dark or getting dark, also very nice issue. Out of lining of lights, so you get blinded if they are on. Or broken and you think there is a motor coming and it seems to be a 10 ton truck.

And then the many Thai, who probably eat more then 7 gram of Kratom and are not aware of the traffic around them.

It is just a little list of issues. If Thailand wants it to make it safer, they should make uniform rules to be learnend by anyone and issued in exams for a driving liscense. Put on police officers for active rules engagements and fines, Not to annoy "aliens" who have money and follow the Thai street rules and put their money in their own pockets, coz that is what is really happening ! Mostly the Thai is free of any violation.

If i was police officer there i could make 500 (fine for an alien, so aswell Thai !) bath/ 10 min, lets say100000 bath/week for governement. THEN officers are fully functional on all traffic issues and people will start to drive another way.

Otherwise just forget it. Makes no sense a 16 million device.

As in Thailand goes, they make, use or place something till it breaks and then its waste.

7 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

I remember last time they did such a test with 10 cameras in Bangkok for 1 month, they registered 76.000 offenders, though in my opinion a camera that can detect helmless riders is an early April joke.

And who's going to process all those license plate captures? Even competent data typists will likely only be able to process 1,000 a day. And then they send a letter to the address the bike is registered to? Thai addresses don't seem to have letter boxes I've noticed. It's just an open box nailed to a post outside the building and anything in it can easily blow away. Talk about incompetence.

9 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Helmets is 1 thing, but they forget about when you encounter a Thai driving TOWARDS you on the same site at the weirdest moments, you find yourself getting a heart attack and making the weirdest movements to avoid a collision.

Not only with motors , but aswell with cars.

I found out,

lines on the road dont mean a thing to them.

last night i was coming back north in the underpass, a car was stopped on the upper part of the southern lane so people had to go around it. It didnt have emergency flashers so i did not see the problem until i was really close in the middle lane(drunk slow drivers in the left lane). I had my high beams on as i always do at night in all dangerous areas(doesn't seem to help people notice me but at least im annoying a few idiots), the guy that arrived behind the stopped car waited for me to pass(there was no cars coming behind me so he would have to wait maximum 5 seconds) but the genius behind him decided, to pass both cars going extremely slowly as i was about 10m away from the car.. Of course there was a car on the left lane right beside me so an other near miss when i swerved to avoid the idiot coming into my lane.

Just my daily encounter with thai driving. Everyday i  have near deaths.  

I don't see how people can be happy while driving in this country.. i love thailand but without a driver doing my driving i really hate the country if i have to leave the house.

On 9/25/2016 at 9:04 AM, rooster59 said:

“The system costs B16,176,367, with the funds provided by the UK-based Safer Roads Foundation,” Dr Wiwat noted.

I think this is what most of you have overlooked.

In Thai lingo that translates to " UK-based Safer Roads Foundation will waste B16,176,367 to get 15 cameras installed, which will then be tested for a few weeks maximum, after they will be switched of indefinitely to be never discussed ever again.

On 25/09/2016 at 1:26 PM, NotMyUsualid said:

Try reading the article before you comment.

It said it will have facial recognition tied to the national ID database.

*tsk tsk*

Actually it is you that shouldvread the article " of whether they are wearing helmets or not, but at the initial stage the cameras will not be linked to the national ID " notice it said "not" be connected to the national ID.

On 25 September 2016 at 10:37 AM, KarenBravo said:

The receipt for the fine is actually a license to go helmetless for the entire day.

If you are stopped at another check-point, by showing the receipt, you'll be allowed to go and continue your trip without a helmet.

i know its the same for no licence, no insurance, once you have the fine its ok ??, i got stopped once for having shopping on my handle bars, not to safe i understand that, but he gave me a fine and i said to the copper ok look after my stuff, he said no i had to take it with me ? so i said to him but you fine me because its not safe ? he said its safe now you have the fine..?..lol.. still makes me laugh to this day.