(too) Young, Too Single, But Rich

Hey folks:

I'm under 50, and unmarried, unemployed, but with significant (> 100,000 Bht/mo) passive investment income. I am currently staying in BKK on 60-cum-90- day tourist visa issued in US. (I am a US citizen). Couple of questions:

1) I've seen a lot of chatter about people acquiring multi-entry non-imm visas, apparently as tourists, but it seems to me there has to be some other pretext to get one of these - education, work, etc. It seems to me it should be easy to get an education-related visa by signing up at a Thai-language school, but perhaps this isn't the case. Any advice? If I did sign up, and did get a letter from a school, it seems like it might be possible to convert my existing visa to a non-imm without leaving BKK, is this true? It also seems like this might take a few weeks, is this true?

2) More to the point, if I can prove income, but have no other pretext for obtaining a visa, can I do any better than a 60-day tourist visa? ALSO, will I be denied a consecutive 60-day visa after my current stay (or, after any particular number of stays - I'm guessing 3)? Finally, is there any reason I can't get a 30-day tourist ("airport") visa to succeed my current visa? Are the visa runs everyone talks about for 60-day visas, or for 30-day visas also? Will proof of support facilitate such renewals?

3) Is there any category of visa available to someone willing to move cash into Thailand (say 1-4 million baht) but uninterested in creating an operating business, or buying special Thai bonds, but perhaps interested in investing that cash in public Thai securities? I have seen an "investor" category talked about, but it seems to be in connection with specific investments, or large businesses. Otherwise, I sound like a retiree, but I'm not that old.

Overall, I'd like to be able to "hang out" at will and come and go without repeated visa apps. Best case, I'd like to be able rent an apartment to hang out at.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated.

dc

If you have the money get a Thailand Elite card, that will solve your visa problems for at least 5 years.

There's a lot of negative talk and false rumours about Thailand Elite on this board but I bought a card and have nothing but good things to say about them.

An elite card is fine if you have 25 grand you want to burn. I'd rather keep the 25 g's and live on tourist visas as long as possible. Mark, the education option may work for you although I have no details on what you need for that but details should not be hard to get. I do know that changing from a 60 day visa to the ed. visa can be done in bkk in a day. Just make sure it is a 60 day not on extension and not a 30 day visa. There is an office on 2nd floor of bkk imm entitled "change visa". the dude in there will change visa on the spot with correct documentation. I would have done it but like you did not want to purchase 3 million in thai bonds. That is another option for you as the dude in that office told me that 3 million was the minimum requirement for the investment visa deposited into bonds at krung thai or other thai govt bank. I chose not to do that as I need the capital for US investments. Investing or gambling in thai stocks won't qualify you for inv. visa as far as I know. dude, I rec just getting a triple entry tourist and rest EZ till it runs out. That's what I'm doing

If you can provide one of the following evidences of investment in Thailand, each of which is equivalent to no less than 3 million Baht, If you can do this, then you are eligible to apply for a Non-Immigrant "B" Visa for the purpose of long stay in Thailand :

* Cash deposit in a fixed deposit account with government banks (Krung Thai Bank, Government Saving Bank, Bank for Agriculture Cooperatives, Rattanasin Bank, Bangkok Metropolitan Bank, Siam City Bank, Government Housing Bank).

*Government bonds, or state enterprise bonds, purchased only from government agencies or state enterprises or agencies commissioned by government or state enterprises.

* Buying a condominium unit/s from the owner according to the price registered with the Department of Lands. ( Must be approved before hand)

*Other investments the Immigration Bureau deems beneficial to the country.

You decide your risk and if its worth it.

You must show a bank statement proving the transfer of funds from an overseas bank to a Thai bank of at least 3 million Baht. The applicant must be either the recipient of the money in Thailand or the person issuing the transfer from a bank abroad. Get a Tor Tor Som.

Your first year of applications will be processed within 15 days.

Couple Tips: You must retain a continuous investment. The Immigration Bureau must first approve changes in investment. You must then retain a continuous investment after this change. You must submit evidence of investment to the official within 150 to 180 days from the day the visa application is approved.

Enjoy the life!

Sunbelt Asia

www.sunbeltasia.com

OK, I understand most everything here, but what is a "triple-entry tourist visa"? I assume it's not a regular tourist visa, or a multiple-entry non-imm visa.

(FWIW, re: changes to my existing visa, I'm on a 30-day extension now).

I'm afraid I don't understand the phrase "your first year of applications will be processed in 15 days."

look forward to additional ideas.

thanks

OK, I understand most everything here, but what is a "triple-entry tourist visa"? I assume it's not a regular tourist visa, or a multiple-entry non-imm visa.

it is a regular tourist visa except it allows 3 entries into thailand

To Orion 76. I have also bought Elite, quite early on. But it appears they have now stopped selling as a "Super Elite Card" was reported in Nation, April 9 for USD 100K. I have not had any response from them on specific questions, eg the anove or property etc. I wanted to see a copy of the lease from Privilege Co to the Elite member. No answer. Moving in and out of the airport and transfers have not changed. If you have any other info please let me know. e-mail here is [email protected].

I am not planning to purchase any real estate so I am not familiar with the current status of the land buying privilege. I'd recommend you go see them in their office and not leave until you have the info you need.

The reason I bought it is because I'd spend $25k in 5 years on visa runs anyway so this was more convenient.

I have only used their visa and airport services and have nothing but good things to say about them. It was also quite refreshing to have immigration officials bow for me and offer me a cup of coffee when I came to renew my visa at Suan Plu :o

TO: Orion 76. Property was not an issue for us either, but an benefit offered as part of the incentive. We did not need to go to Soi Suanplu, everything was done at the airport. I was also explained that this was a Tourist Visa. Both of us will have to see if the benefits change with the new CEO. I agree services used so far was good. Maybe I'll get to the massage sometime! Thank you for your info.

Folks:

I know about the Elite card and I can't justify it, so it's not of interest here.

Still confused about the triple-entry visa. Sounds like it could be one 60 day visa allowing 3 entries within 60 days, OR an effectively 6-month (180-day) visa that requires exit and re-entry every 60 days. Can anyone clarify? Could the 60-day stays be extended to 90 days (each) using the routine 30-day extensions?

Thanks for info

dc

Folks:

I know about the Elite card and I can't justify it, so it's not of interest here.

Still confused about the triple-entry visa. Sounds like it could be one 60 day visa allowing 3 entries within 60 days, OR an effectively 6-month (180-day) visa that requires exit and re-entry every 60 days. Can anyone clarify? Could the 60-day stays be extended to 90 days (each) using the routine 30-day extensions?

Thanks for info

dc

you get six months in which to make all 3 entries.

Thanks for info

dc

I think some semantics need to be explained here. A visa is attached to your passport; it usually has a effective date, an expiration date, and how many entries it is good for. This tells the Immigration officer when you enter what kind of entry stamp he should put in your passport.

For example:

You are issued a 6-month triple entry tourist visa.

This allows you 3 entries into the country within the 6 months validity of the visa; at each entry you will get a 60-day entry stamp. You are also allowed to get a 30-day extension to each of those entries while still in Thailand.

So in theory, you can enter the country on the first day of the validity of the visa, get a 60-day stamp, and then get a 30-day extension. You leave the country, enter again (60-day stamp) and get the extension (30-day stamp), then one day before the expiration date on the visa (you have stayed almost 6 months now), you leave and enter again, getting another 60-day stamp and get a 30-day extension. You have then effectively stayed in the country 9 months with your triple entry 6-month visa.

TH

If you can provide one of the following evidences of investment in Thailand, each of which is equivalent to no less than 3 million Baht, If you can do this, then you are eligible to apply for a Non-Immigrant "B" Visa for the purpose of long stay in Thailand :

* Cash deposit in a fixed deposit account with government banks (Krung Thai Bank, Government Saving Bank, Bank for Agriculture Cooperatives, Rattanasin Bank, Bangkok Metropolitan Bank, Siam City Bank, Government Housing Bank).

*Government bonds, or state enterprise bonds, purchased only from government agencies or state enterprises or agencies commissioned by government or state enterprises.

* Buying a condominium unit/s from the owner according to the price registered with the Department of Lands. ( Must be approved before hand)

*Other investments the Immigration Bureau deems beneficial to the country.

Sunbelt Asia

www.sunbeltasia.com

Thanks for this valuable Info!

As Thai Embassy Austria seemingly did not know about this last month, is this a new regulation? Any quotable Source for this?

Also, do You know if it is possible to mix the Investments in order to come up to 3 M?; like buying a Condo for 2,5 M and put 0,5 M in a Bank's fixed Deposit, would that be sufficient? Or maybe buying 2 Condos 1,5 M each?

This looks to be the Way for my Visa, so please give me as much info as possible, especially also please mention the "magic name" Thai Embassy back home obviously needs to hear before they click! I guess mentioning to them "Someone said so at Thaivisa.com Board" won't do the trick?

Sunny