Jordan: Christian writer on trial for cartoon mocking ISIL is shot dead

webfact

Jordan: Christian writer on trial for cartoon mocking ISIL is shot dead

606x341_344900.jpg

AMMAN: -- Jordanian Christian writer Nahed Hattar was shot dead on Sunday outside the courthouse where he was standing trial on charges of contempt of religion.

He had been arrested last month after sharing a caricature that depicted a bearded man in heaven, smoking in bed with women and ordering God to bring him food and wine.

The cartoon was intended to ridicule ISIL fighters’ vision of Paradise but was considered offensive by many conservative Muslim Jordanians. The authorities said he violated the law by sharing the caricature.

Hattar, who had apologised and said he didn’t mean to cause offence, was shot by a gunman three times as he prepared to enter court in Amman.

Hit in the head, he died later in hospital. For those close to him, feelings are running high.

“The Jordanian people must realise the seriousness of this issue,” said Hattar’s friend Dergham Halaseh.

“They must unite to fight against the unjust forces that accuse others of being apostates. The government must take a stern stance towards these dark forces. There have been enough crimes committed against our nation, in Yemen, Syria and Iraq. Is that not enough? Jordan can’t handle this. Jordan is suffering from the infiltration of these people who are spreading among us.”

The suspected gunman, described as a 49 year old Muslim preacher, was arrested at the scene.

Two witnesses said the gunman was wearing a traditional Arab dishashada, worn by ultra conservative Sunni Salafis who adhere to a puritanical version of Islam and shun Western lifestyles.

“The law will be strictly enforced on the culprit who did this criminal act and will hit with an iron fist anyone who tries to harm the state of law,” government spokesman Mohammad Momani said.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-26

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

The murder victim was also openly a supporter of Assad. Living in Jordan he must have known he was a dead man walking.

What an absolutely stunning attempt at blame the victim.

You are one of the first to shout loud and proud about peoples freedoms and rights to believe what they want to believe.

Another killing over a <deleted> cartoon and you try to blame the victim !!

No surprise to see who raced to like your post. TV's very own MB.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The suspected gunman, described as a 49 year old Muslim preacher, was arrested at the scene.

Two witnesses said the gunman was wearing a traditional Arab dishashada, worn by ultra conservative Sunni Salafis who adhere to a puritanical version of Islam and shun Western lifestyles.

The only one to blame is the @sshole that shot him on his way to court. A muslim preacher no less and people are scratching their heads why the West has problems. Most of the problems stem from the so called preachers.

4 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

You are one of the first to shout loud and proud about peoples freedoms and rights to believe what they want to believe.

The only one to blame is the @sshole that shot him on his way to court. A muslim preacher no less and people are scratching their heads why the West has problems. Most of the problems stem from the so called preachers.

What an absolute stunning attempt at wrongly interpreting a post.

Btw, want to call me names, at least do so openly in stead of in code.

Edited by stevenl

1 minute ago, SgtRock said:

Get over yourself with uninformed personal attacks. Just stating the obvious for someone making public statements which would make him a target for Sunni extremists in a country such as Jordan.

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Get over yourself with uninformed personal attacks. Just stating the obvious for someone making public statements which would make him a target for Sunni extremists in a country such as Jordan.

There is no personal attack in my post. My post is a direct response to your victim blaming.

Your post is there for all to read. No ambiguity and no denial in the meaning or context.

Please do your usual and report my post. I want a MOD to actually read your initial post. 

Just now, SgtRock said:

There is no personal attack in my post. My post is a direct response to your victim blaming.

Your post is there for all to read. No ambiguity and no denial in the meaning or context.

Please do your usual and report my post. I want a MOD to actually read your initial post. 

Just goes to show what a twisted mind you have by spinning my post to accuse me of sympathy for extremist motivated murder. Yet another example of the ugliness of those from 'right of centre' and the immense damage they will cause if they ever obtain actionable power.

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Just goes to show what a twisted mind you have by spinning my post to accuse me of sympathy for extremist motivated murder. Yet another example of the ugliness of those from 'right of centre' and the immense damage they will cause if they ever obtain actionable power.

You blame the victim for his demise.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

The murder victim was also openly a supporter of Assad. Living in Jordan he must have known he was a dead man walking.

Supports Assad

Draws a cartoon mocking ISIS

Is a Christian in Jordan 

So he must have known he was a dead man walking.

And you have the audacity to say that I have a twisted mind ? Let me say this again for the benefit of you and your bunch of deluded brethern. There is no wriggle room in your initial post. There has been no condemnation by you. According to you it was his own fault as he openly supported Assad. That makes you sick in the head.

I also notice that you fail to mention cartoons or the fact that he was a Christian. I have also at times, openly supported Assad, you want to try having a pop at me ? After all, according to you I must be a dead man walking.

12 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Supports Assad

Is a Christian in Jordan 

And you have the audacity to say that I have a twisted mind ? Let me say this again for the benefit of you and your bunch of deluded brethern. There is no wriggle room in your initial post. There has been no condemnation by you. According to you it was his own fault as he openly supported Assad. That makes you sick in the head.

I also notice that you fail to mention cartoons or the fact that he was a Christian. I have also at times, openly supported Assad, you want to try having a pop at me ? After all, according to you I must be a dead man walking.

Just for once read a post for what is said and not for what you think is said.

1 hour ago, SgtRock said:

Please keep your remarks civil and on topic.  

Inflammatory posting is not going to be tolerated.  

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

You always are if you insult those"peace loving muslims"

Just the sort of thing a Christian priest would have done if a muslim had said something bad about Jesus , i mean they do it all the time ,dont they?

Edited by i claudius

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

I suspect the murderer may have mental health issues.

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Please keep your remarks civil and on topic.  

Inflammatory posting is not going to be tolerated.  

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Trust me. That post was civility personified.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Note to security forces:

When attempting to protect someone from assassination by radical conservative muslims with puritanical views of Islam, be alert to guys wearing an Arab dishashada on the steps of the Courthouse.

9 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Note to security forces:

When attempting to protect someone from assassination by radical conservative muslims with puritanical views of Islam, be alert to guys wearing an Arab dishashada on the steps of the Courthouse.

From my reading the murder victim was not provided with any personal security.

38 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Note to security forces:

Courthouse in Petra

Courthouse.jpg

http://news.sky.com/story/jordanian-writer-nahed-hattar-killed-outside-court-before-trial-10592705

No security :cheesy::cheesy:

3 hours ago, SgtRock said:

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Yet another comprehension deficit with "NO PERSONAL SECURITY".

What are you flapping your gums at ?

Was my post directed at you ? Did my post mention Personal Security ?

It would appear that it is you that has a comprehension deficit. 

The photo of the Court house was to show that at the very least security is attempted in the area of the courthouse. 

One should expect to be relatively safe in the area of a Courthouse that is fortified and has security personnel in and around the area.  

Except of course if you happen to draw a cartoon. Then all bets are off.

12 hours ago, simple1 said:

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

A poor choice of words, and off mark as well.

Murder, even religiously and politically motivated, is not common in Jordan. Hattar was "anti" a lot of issues, groups, and people - and been this way for years. Wasn't the first time he pissed off someone, got threats or was sued.

9 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Supports Assad

Is a Christian in Jordan 

More like born a Christian, identified as an atheist.

51 minutes ago, Morch said:

A poor choice of words, and off mark as well.

Murder, even religiously and politically motivated, is not common in Jordan. Hattar was "anti" a lot of issues, groups, and people - and been this way for years. Wasn't the first time he pissed off someone, got threats or was sued.

I accept your criticism. On the other side of the coin I assume you will agree, the victim's actions put him at very high risk which was compounded by a fatwa issued against him.

33 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I accept your criticism. On the other side of the coin I assume you will agree, the victim's actions put him at very high risk which was compounded by a fatwa issued against him.

I think he was threatened on other occasions in the past. No idea if there was reason to believe that the last threat was more serious than others. You might as well say that being in his line of work put him at risk...

2 hours ago, Morch said:

More like born a Christian, identified as an atheist.

The dead man's religion is of no concern to me.

What is a concern to me is that he was executed on the steps of a Courthouse by a nutjob that is described as a religious leader.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

If this is the action of a so called Muslim preacher, what is he teaching to his flock of sheep ?

If everyone resorted to self-censorship in the face of Islamofascists it only empowers them. It should be incumbent on the state to protect all those brave enough to stand up to them. Here is the offending cartoon, every newspaper in the civilized world should publish it.

0ce49f7a900c90661c0f868cab6348f4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1) Nahed Hattar was a writer, he simply placed on his Facebook wall a cartoon drawn by someone else.  The cartoon,is titled "God of Dawaech",   shows a bearded jihadist on a bed in heaven, surrounded by two women and addressing God as a mere servant

He explained this cartoon was making fun of "terrorists and how they imagine God and heaven, and it was not meant to offense God."

2) He was accused of inciting sectarian strife "and" insult "to Islam, which prohibits any representation of God, be it is satirical or not

3) so for the court , ISIL = Islam ?

Edited by Opl