Curried chicken salad recipe

honu

Kind of odd to be passing on recipe ideas here, but since this is barely cooking and it's one way to get better deli food than delis here sell why not.

Curried chicken salad version (for sandwiches):

-roast chicken, cut up (Tops version is fine, Tesco a bit wet and greasy)

-one onion, chopped

-package of Chinese celery (could go by Thai celery, just depends)

-mayo (I'd use a Kraft version, but the sauce-like Thai types might work)

-yellow curry (I used the Waugh brand, but any that wasn't too spicy or tumeric heavy would be ok)

-pear (original version used cranberry, or apple would be fine, or one could skip that part, or use raisins, but that's disgusting)

Mix those; make a sandwich.  A version of multigrain bread works well, or whatever else, really.

• 2 weeks later...

this item should not be prepared in the usual chicken salad with mayo fashion...it should be prepared as a curried dish and then consumed with nan, paratha, chapati or arabic bread...

we all gots to get useta not having traditional flatbreads available and learn to make our own...if ye look at the recipes on the internet they are simple either in the oven or stovetop...subjecting a curried dish like this to the white bread and mayo brgade is a crime against humanity...

so, listen fellas...get out there and make yer own bread, win friends and infuence people with traditional flatbreads...

9 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

this item should not be prepared in the usual chicken salad with mayo fashion

That, Sir, is an insult to Her Britannic Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.  Off with your head!

The chicken salad with mayo and curry powder goes back to a dish, Coronation Chicken, devised by the Cordon Bleu Cookery School in London for the Queen's coronation in 1953.

Coming after WWII austerity, it was seen as a luxurious dish.  The curry powder also gives it overtones of the glorious British Empire over which the sun never set.

22 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Coronation Chicken?...is that the stuff with the grapes innit?

The one with the grapes is Chicken Véronique.

Coronation Chicken is a bit variable.  It's usually chicken, curry powder and mayonnaise, and (optional) slivered almonds and/or raisins.  Marks & Spencer used to do a Coronation Chicken sandwich with all of that.

yeah...I useta get them M&S sarnies when I was in the UK and they were quite tasty...

but I never quite knew what what I was eating...to tell the truth...

then I useta get pot noodles after I had spent some time in China...and I looked up from my desk to find the secretary Justine resplendent in long blond hair and heavy make up: 'I smell pot noodles...'

it was as if my consumption of pot noodles did not befit my position as senior engineer...and a slight on Justine's position as a beautful young secretary...

I offered to allow her to punish me but to no avail...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

substituting wasabi for anything is an invitation to disaster...

I was with my english ex on a flying visit to LA and we were in a sushi place of the type that LA is known for...and she picked up a gob of wasabi on the side with her chop sticks and said: 'what's this?' and before I could stop her tossed it back...(she had also insisted on wine with japanese food)

pandemonium ensued...and she threw her wine on me and ran out of the restaurant...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

substituting wasabi for anything is an invitation to disaster...

I was with my english ex on a flying visit to LA and we were in a sushi place of the type that LA is known for...and she picked up a gob of wasabi on the side with her chop sticks and said: 'what's this?' and before I could stop her tossed it back...(she had also insisted on wine with japanese food)

pandemonium ensued...and she threw her wine on me and ran out of the restaurant...

You starting your campaign for POTY already?

as a POTY laureate I am barred from an additional accolade...

I'm just a very entertaining guy...

but, it's 'the tears of a clown'...yew see that adorable little girl on the side bar? well, she's big now and 'ol uncle tutsi is out the window...

oh, boo hoooo....

Edited by tutsiwarrior