How did the debate go?

watcharacters

I watched the first half of the debate and listened to the rest while I did something else

I admit to not being enamored  with either candidate but I find one less frightening or  repugnant  than the other.

Both candidates looked very presentable.   Trump has the advantage of being a good looking fellow but HRC  has  not aged so well IMHO

With this debate I first thought Trump was going to blow it when he started to gulp water.    He survived that but  I  question how well he maintained his overall composure during the remainder of the debate.

He seemed to me to  validate some criticism directed at him about being  a bully.    I lost track of how many times he not only interrupted the moderator  but  then  topped it off by telling the moderator "you're wrong" when fact check shows  the moderator was not wrong.

I doubt Trump helped his campaign by trying to deflect his  refusal to disclose his income tax return by attacking HRC's email scandal.      While hinting he pays no income tax he included during the debate "he's smart for not paying any".    After the debate when asked if he paid federal taxes  he said of course he did.     That's logical in that by merely buying car tires  or petrol,  a person  by definition pays federal excise taxes!

After the debate a reporter quoted Trump about his saying  he's a smart guy regarding not paying taxes and on air, he denied he said it.    Hell, I heard the words come out of his mouth.    I guess candidates just lose concern about the truth.  That's a universal reference to candidates.

I don't respect that at all.    It's almost as bad as when he said he hoped the housing bubble would happen so as to make available to "people like him"  the opportunity  to buy up houses with depressed prices.

Clinton carries the baggage of having been in public service for  a long time while the country evolved to the place where it is now.       That's a big hurdle to overcome.

Both candidates stretched the truth when the facts are readily available.       I don't get that.     Trump claiming he received a small loan to build his empire  is a matter of public record.   A 14 million dollar loan  could surely only be considered small by a super wealthy person.

Trump is very accomplished at talking over people.    That may work out to an even greater advantage for him  in the next debates.

I was disappointed the audience  couldn't follow the organizer's and moderator's  admonition to refrain from  any outburst.   I'd like the presidential debate to show some dignity.     Both  support sides were guilty of interruptions.

Archived