Thai women feel exploited by Norwegian employer

webfact

Most Thais work 10 hrs a day 6 days a week in Thailand. On top of that the money could

have been held back to pay for airline tickets and other travel expenses. Lots or missing

information in this article. :whistling:

14 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Thai people represent the 3rd largest group of people at THAT PLACE as you call it,

the largest group, Norwegians, the 2nd largest Russians.

Why?

Visa/Work permit not required.

(and the place is not Norway, but Norwegian legislation goes at that place)

What country is it then?

44 minutes ago, pegman said:

What country is it then?

its not a sovereign state

piece of land, (lots of islands), run/managed by Norwegian authorities and Norwegian legislation goes,

all in accordance with a multilateral treaty

Edited by melvinmelvin

Norway

• Average hours per week: 33
  • Average annual wages: $44,000

In principle, normal working hours are maximum nine hours per day and 40 hours per seven days. If you work different work rotas, the weekly working hours are 38 or 36 hours for a seven day period, depending on your work rota.

An alternative arrangement of working hours is permitted. It is called average calculation of working hours. This requires a written agreement, and means that the employee can work more during some periods and less in others, but that the average working hours remain within the limits of ordinary working hours.

As a rule, the rest period must be 11 hours in the course of 24 hours and 35 hours in the course of 7 days, and, as a rule, time off shall be taken on Sundays or public holidays. Employees are entitled to a break if their daily working hours exceed 5,5 hours, and breaks shall total 30 minutes if the daily working hours exceed 8 hours. Work in excess of normal working hours shall only occur if it is specifically required and is of a limited duration, and this work shall then be compensated with an overtime supplement of at least 40 per cent of normal hourly pay.

Night work and work on Sundays is only permitted if the nature of the work makes this necessary.

The right to paid travel time between the home and the workplace is not regulated by law, and this must be agreed with the employer.

Edited by Chicog

11 hours ago, Mondeo said:

First of all, seems like the owner is thai:
http://www.proff.no/selskap/taste-of-thai-as/longyearbyen/restauranter/Z0ILJ3PH/

A thai was fooled by two workers who wasnt the chefs they said they were, probably got upset and wants her money back from the travel, the cut to probable agents?

If the employer isnt sure about the tax issue, it is normal to hold back 50% of the sallary to be sure to have enough to pay the tax. 

So, if this is the case. The owner feel screwed and wants her money bak from the non-chefs travel, paid apartment?, and also wants to be sure about enough tax money then there are probably little money left for the duo?

The employer is called Wiggo Lund.  Doesn't sound very Thai to me.

Rung Arun Sianglam

Female , born in 1977 , 8230 Sulitjelma

Roles in business

- Showing 4 of totally 4
MANAGEMENT / ADMINISTRATION
Rolle Company employees Total operating income profitability
CEO Sianglam Massage and Gift Shop - -     -      
CEO Taste Of Thai AS - 1905 'enough (2013)

35.7% Excellent (2013)

Owner Sianglam Massage and Gift Shop - -     -      
DIRECTORSHIPS
Rolle Company employees Total operating income profitability
Board Member Taste Of Thai AS

They should and will get paid nicely when the Norwegian government gets done with this idiot, He brought them over, if he didn't check their qualifications closely enough thats to bad for him. He will pay. I bet he thought they would be tax free too. Probably the end for this restaurant.

If they have not received their pay they should see what legal route they can use to get the money owed to them. The paperwork excuse does not work. I assume they have work permits so the paperwork argyement do not hold.

It isn't a question of not like being treated the same as other people, no one is going to work for free as appears to be the case here

They complained they only got about 30 Nok an hour - hmmm - I would like to see where any Thai cook makes 129 bt an hour which is what the official exchange rate is today.  1290 bt a day in Thailand, they had better be Five star culinary experts with years of training behind them.  Doubt it very much

Edited by snooky

• 2 weeks later...

As I was the employee of this restaurant.

I worked 10 hours a day without any break , it would be normal if I got paid by the norwaygian fair and legally. 

But the employer try to avoid to pay by sending me back to Thailand and told me to pay to Thai account.

For the qualification they told me that they don't need the chef certification and I did have it. And I'm the nineth employees that they brought here and sent back home without the salary paid.

So I think this is unfair and I have my right to tell my story to the public.

Thank you to understand.

Ps. The owner is Thai woman who has Norwaygian husband.

• 3 weeks later...
On September 29, 2559 BE at 0:28 PM, Grubster said:

They should and will get paid nicely when the Norwegian government gets done with this idiot, He brought them over, if he didn't check their qualifications closely enough thats to bad for him. He will pay. I bet he thought they would be tax free too. Probably the end for this restaurant. Probably Not the end for this place, it will now probably do better without these ding dongs ! Just expel these 2 whingers back to the wonderful place from whence they hail.

1 minute ago, Familyaffairs said:

Whingers, just looking for attention...come back home and get abused here as employers are wont to do.

Years ago, when I lived in Colorado, some of the resorts would hire undocumented foreign kitchen help for the season, start holding back wages halfway through the season, and usually stop paying them at all toward the end of the season.

Amazingly after the season was over, Border Patrol would pick them up, and deport them.

They never got fully paid, the resort had cheap help during the season, and easily could repeat the process next season.

Guess who got stuck paying the bill for the detention and plane ticket home?