Yet another shopping for Android phone thread!

Jingthing

I've enjoyed my Lenovo phone for years now, and it still works fine, but it's time for a new one.

Why? Well, I'm not into the early adopter hype (ca-ching) but the permanent memory on my Lenovo is absurdly tiny and I'm attracted to the fingerprint unlock feature on many new devices.

Good enough reasons for me.

So I'm shopping around and looking to go with another not Samsung brand. 

Definitely in the under 10,000 baht range. Maybe as low as 5,000.

16 GB internal memory is fine.

I don't need the fastest processor, massive RAM, the best audio/camera, or the best screen resolution.

I generally don't believe in buying much more than you need, but I actually made a mistake with the Lenovo ... the tiny memory (2 GB) was not OK, so I don't want to make that kind of mistake again.

Have looked at

ZTE Blade v7 Lite

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade_v7_lite-7944.php

Zenfone 3, with 5.2 screen and 16 GB memory (not 32)

Huawei P9 Lite

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p9_lite-7983.php

Anyway, I have some pretty dumb questions about all this because things have changed since I bought my Lenovo.

Removable batteries. 

It seems that's a rarer feature now in my price range.

None of those above have it.

It concerns me somewhat because about five times owning my Lenovo the phone basically died, and all it took to wake it up was to remove the existing battery and then put it back.

If it's not removable, you can't do that.

Any thoughts about that issue?

Protection and cases

I had my Lenovo in covering case.

It protected the phone which I carry in my pocket but of course it covers up the design of the phone.

These new phones have quite nice designs that it seems a shame to cover up.

How do y'all deal with this? Also when carrying them do you just stick them in your pocket with protection?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find 2 GB of RAM more than adequate so I am quite happy with the Obi SF1 Worldphone.  I have the 2GB version, but they do offer a 3GB version, although I don't know if that one is available in Thailand.  Lazada no longer sells them, but I understand that Big C does.  My 2GB model was about  ฿ 5000.  The 4G LTE band works in Asia, but not the US for which a 3G band would have to be used.

http://www.obiworldphone.com/global/sf1

I agree that the removable battery option is much better, but scarce.  With my previous phone I was able to reboot several times only after removing the battery,, so I worried about the new phone.  However, I have found with the Obi SF1 if it doesn't immediately reboot then following the procedure of holding both the power and volume buttons simultaneously while plugged into AC power does force a reboot.

I carry the phone in a belt pouch which affords adequate protection so that a case is not necessary.  Pouch makes hearing the phone ring and fishing it out to take the call a little easier in my case.

Obi doesn't have a fingerprint unlock function, but there are apps that provide that.

Edited by CaptHaddock

I'm going slightly batty shopping for phones and I find my list of priorities often shifting as well. 

One question. The last time I was shopping here I referred to an excellent website that listed the SPECS of all the phones sold in Thailand. These are not always exactly the same as similar models in other countries.

But I've forgotten what this site is. Can someone help?

21 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Why not samsung?

I'm actually including Samsung in my options now. Samsung is incredibly popular for good reasons. My aversion is probably not rational, more about not wanting to be a conformist. 

The J7 seems quite good functionally but that's a matter of going with a screen as big as 5.5. That's probably larger than I really want to schlepping on the baht buses in my pocket. 

Edited by Jingthing

I'm actually including Samsung in my options now. Samsung is incredibly popular for good reasons. My aversion is probably not rational, more about not wanting to be a conformist. 

The J7 seems quite good functionally but that's a matter of going with a screen as big as 5.5. That's probably larger than I really want to schlepping on the baht buses in my pocket. 

I was going to recommend that very phone...a girlfriend bought one the other month
She got a deal for about 6900 ...
Big c have them for 7900...

It has had heavy usage and stood up well

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

he J7 seems quite good functionally but that's a matter of going with a screen as big as 5.5. That's probably larger than I really want to schlepping on the baht buses in my pocket

Then J5 will be perfect for you , basically same phone with smaller screen .  I would choose a Samsung phone over any other brand in that price range., 

8 minutes ago, balo said:

Then J5 will be perfect for you , basically same phone with smaller screen .  I would choose a Samsung phone over any other brand in that price range., 

I have to disagree with that.

In that price range nevr go for Samsung, because for the price you will get a lot more phone in any brand.

A second vote here for Wiko, sold by Numchai or TG Phone, and have their service center on Sukumvith.

Second advice, stay far away from Tukcom.

14 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

In that price range nevr go for Samsung, because for the price you will get a lot more phone in any brand

I did that mistake once and promised myself never again. I bought one of the cheaper brands and it was useless after 1 year.  Now on my 3rd Samsung phone (J7 ) and it's very reliable. Better safe than sorry.  

Just now, balo said:

I did that mistake once and promised myself never again. I bought one of the cheaper brands and it was useless after 1 year.  Now on my 3rd Samsung phone (J7 ) and it's very reliable. Better safe than sorry.  

\Well I didn't say inferior brand, but in fact mentioned Wiko, however there are also others.

With a Wiko, if the OP stays below 5", he'll get a very nice phone with higher specs as as a Samsung in the same size, for half the price.

And if he search some reviews about Wiko on the web, he'll find that the quality is top notch.

Just bought the Huawei P9 Lite, check it out on Youtube, great battery life. Bought for less than 8000฿ with 64 mb memory card and screen protector. 

That phone is up there on my list. The negatives are the typical now fixed battery, the nonresistant screen, and reviews saying the ui is awkward to newbies. To me the screen is the biggest negative. I really like gorilla glass. So please tell me about your protector. Do you mean the covering stuff you stick on it which I read somewhere is on there in box. Also read tempered glass protectors for that model will have two bubbles because the screen is intentionally slightly curved.

Or do you mean a case?

I just spent weeks researching the hell out of Android phones. I for some reason too did not want a Samsung. Anyways in the end it came down to the Samsung A5, 2016 (black), a big step up from the J series, and not too big 5.2, quality, features, fingerprint, Amoled screen, battery, performance, etc etc. 

Big C had it on a hell of a deal last week $5000 off $13990 down to $8990 so I jumped in and got it. Now as long term Nokia Lumia Windows Phone user, everyone's been on and on at me, get a Android, get an Android (never had one before).

Long story short, beautiful phone, Gorilla Glass 4 front and back, slim, great screen-to-body ratio. I just don't like Andriod, and I will be getting a Microsoft Lumia 950 Windows phone.

Therefore the 4 day old Samsung is up for sale. You will not get a better phone (Android) for the money, including the Chinese bands.

You also will not find one for 9K anywhere,  Big C is back at $13990, cheapest I have seen in a Shop (ground floor in TukCom)  $11990, Lazada unknown seller with guarantee $10990, refurbished units with no warranty are $8900. 

Do us both a favor and make me a decent offer on this one, oh and it has a 32GB SD expansion card packaged with it.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a5_(2016)-7789.php

Edited by kevkev1888
Added addition info

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That phone is up there on my list. The negatives are the typical now fixed battery, the nonresistant screen, and reviews saying the ui is awkward to newbies. To me the screen is the biggest negative. I really like gorilla glass. So please tell me about your protector. Do you mean the covering stuff you stick on it which I read somewhere is on there in box. Also read tempered glass protectors for that model will have two bubbles because the screen is intentionally slightly curved.

Or do you mean a case?

Yes Gorilla Glass would be my choice too, which I believe is standard on the P9, as well as the Leica lens on the camera, but for that you are paying double the price. The protective covering on the face of the phone is to prevent scratches and nothing more. As for the battery, the phone is in the price range that should anything go wrong it is probably better to renew the phone anyway, having said that, because it is sealed it does make it very waterproof. If it has a downside it is not so straight forward to transfer files to the external memory card, an app is required, but once installed, easy peasy.

ps, I am no wizz kid on these things, but I find it very easy to navigate around.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

My last phone was an Asus Zen, you could literally watch the battery drain in front of your eyes, in the end it just fell apart, I only had it for 1 year and never hardly used it.

I think it's likely such issues may be fixed for Zen 3. Particularly the "Max" which features a larger  battery.

What would really be useful is some kind of web page or app specific to country where you enter in a bunch of priorities you want in a phone and rate the level of the need and then see results. Then you could play around and adjust the levels of priorities to see how that changes things. There is almost too much choice, of course that's much better than little choice! 

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's likely such issues may be fixed for Zen 3. Particularly the "Max" which features a larger  battery.

What would really be useful is some kind of web page or app specific to country where you enter in a bunch of priorities you want in a phone and rate the level of the need and then see results. Then you could play around and adjust the levels of priorities to see how that changes things. There is almost too much choice, of course that's much better than little choice! 

There are many phone comparisons on youtube, just type in the two phones you would like to compare and voila, you have what phone that fits your bill.

My wife has a Samsung J7, and I have an ASUS Zenfone Laser, and both have been good performing, reliable, good build quality phones purchased for under 10K, the ASUS actually under 5K. Both with removable batteries also.

But, those two phones and most of the other Android phones at lower prices, AFAIK, aren't going to have the finger-scan-unlock feature. So is that a priority, or you're willing to let it go?

Jing, save yourself the headache. Take my brand new A5 for 8K.  That's the next level up from the J7, for an extra 1K, its RRP is 14K. 

Has everything you want from what you have said, inc the Gorilla Glass and fingerprint scanner. Go take a look at one in-store :)

Ps sorry for the sales pitch, I promise I will not interject further.

Edited by kevkev1888

Hi Jingthing, 

I hav a ASUS Laser Zenphone 6 inch bought 3 mths ago. Only released in March this yr.

Best phone I've had.

It's got 16GB storage, 3GB ram, Latest Lollipop 5.2 system. Very fast.

13MP rear camera, 5MP front camera. Autofocus. Flash an u can download their Zen flash. Works perfect. MP3 an Video works great.

Nice an slim, light an fits perfect in pocket.. comes in Silver (mine), Gold, Black. Prices with Lazada bout 7,500b range keeps changing. Nearly 9000b in central patt stores. an u can get free extras like screen protector, earphones. if u check all the companies. Most come with 1yr warranty. They also do a 5.5 or 5.0 inch if u want smaller or cheaper.An Lazada do a nice back case with little built in stand for 200b. Silver or Grey.

Good Luck.

I have the Zenphone 3...pretty much my first Android phone. Very inexpensive and after I figured out how to use it, I've been satisfied.

Side note...I have the Ais 500 baht package and the internet works very well in my area.