new SIM card

tutsiwarrior

I want to buy a new SIM card after not having one for a few years (no need, working abroad using saudi roaming when necessary when at home in Thailand)...I want to set up a payment plan thru my bank and approached a local DTAC rep with my passport for this purpose...

the individual was grumpy and unpleasant and insisted that I have a work permit for the SIM card...I don't want a data package just a simple telephone connection...

was the rep correct?...I plan to go elsewhere for this purpose tomorrow...

Of course the rep was correct, since you should know after all that time, that everyone just make up the rules on the spot.

Therefor, when the next one tells you you don't need a work permit, he also will be correct.

On a more serious note, for a post paid I think you should need proof of address at least, because I also don't have a work permit and have a post paid from True.

Anyway, why not take a prepaid, which you can extend expiry date for just a few baht, and no cost when you're not in Thailand.

what documentation is required to purchase a prepaid SIM? can payments for prepaid SIM cards be handled by internet banking (I use K - bank)?

are all retired people in Thailand who are prohibited from working required to use a prepaid SIM card arrangement? 

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Yes passport will be required to register the prepaid SIM and you can fill from ATM or internet banking as needed.  You could ask your wife (you are still married?) to obtain another postpaid card for you to use and pay from her account.  

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

what documentation is required to purchase a prepaid SIM? can payments for prepaid SIM cards be handled by internet banking (I use K - bank)?

Top-up credit via internet banking is possible with Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank and probably many others.

Of course there is a multitude of ways to buy credit (buying slips at the chain shops, using self-service machines). The machines are everywhere (must be in the 5 digit nrs. nationwide).

I have no experience with postpaid.

But at AIS it seems to be possible to get postpaid with some fixed upper limit for monthly bill?

Heard that through the grapevine only.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes passport will be required to register the prepaid SIM and you can fill from ATM or internet banking as needed.  You could ask your wife (you are still married?) to obtain another postpaid card for you to use and pay from her account.  

Am I still married??? see? that's what I'm talkin' about...I reckon that if I don't got a postpaid SIM then folks reckon that I'm a low - life rotter and not entitled to take my place as a respectable expat on TV or in the rice paddies of central Thailand...

yeah, of course I'm still married, 16 years now with my lovely wife...I haven't said much regarding my little niece; she got big and ran out on me just like her big sister before her...now I got the 3 y.o. granddaughter: 'who's tutsi's girl, then?' and then she squeals with delight causes mayhem and runs like the wind...

looks like I'm gonna haveta look into the prepaid like eve'ry body else...I thought that the bank internet arrangements required one to have a postpaid account...

upstairs the 8 y.o. grandson is asleep...he lost a front tooth fighting in the schoolyard and did not have his grandpa tutsi around to say: 'don't mess wid folks unless yer sure that ye can kick their ass...' grandpa tutsi was away at work in saudi arabia...

the grandson never had to confront the SIM card dilemma...but is disfigured for life...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

In some cases pre-paid may be better for you, in other cases post-paid may be best. It's hard to know without details.

DTAC still allows a foreigner without a work-permit to get a post-paid contract/SIM, but you may need to link it to a credit card. Not sure about AIS, or TrueMove H? Based on posts here it always seems like someone was able to get a post-paid SIM without a WP from one/all of them, at some particular location. 

Did you have your eye on a particular post-paid plan? If so, which one?

With a pre-paid plan you obviously only pay for those services which you consume.

You can manage the expiry, up to 365 days maximum, with simple top-ups (144 baht in total) done all at once. Or you may be able to buy expiry. And you can add value to your account via a number of payment channels, including credit cards.

Based on what little detail is provided it seems like pre-paid would be fine? And no need for a work-permit to register a pre-paid SIM.

Am I still married??? see? that's what I'm talkin' about...I reckon that if I don't got a postpaid SIM then folks reckon that I'm a low - life rotter and not entitled to take my place as a respectable expat on TV or in the rice paddies of central Thailand...

Not sure how not being married equates into questioning your life style - my meaning was had not seen much of your posting lately so did not want to assume you were still married; but having her obtain could be an option.  My banking is linked to a post-paid number registered to step-son.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure how not being married equates into questioning your life style - my meaning was had not seen much of your posting lately so did not want to assume you were still married; but having her obtain could be an option.  My banking is linked to a post-paid number registered to step-son.

lop, yer a pal from way back and I never wanted to construe that yer comment was anything but constructive...what you describe regarding your payment arrangement is interesting and yes indeed I could do the same with my wife or other fanily member  (probably the step daughter as she arranges most of these things) at K - bank...

what I don't like about prepaid is that if you don't watch out and keep topping up then it expires after everyone that you know has the expired number...happened twice already....but that was before internet banking payment arrangements were possible...

tutsi lives in the past...formerly out in the arabian desert where time stands still...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

You can make twelve (12) separate 10 baht top-ups at a top-up machine, which with the 2 baht fee costs a total of 144 baht (and yields 120 baht of credit), with each top-up being 30 days, you can max. out your expiry quite easily at 360-ish days.

Agree that pre-paid does take some effort to manage/monitor/top-up.

Then just make a calendar reminder every 30/60/90 days to add value, or ask someone in Thailand to do it for you.

to follow up...I got my SIM card, the step daughter hustled and got it set up...

only to go to the local K - bank branch for them to set up a new 'transaction alert' and not do anything about receipt of the one time password for the new telephone number for which approval is required from the home office...my efforts to set up the  internet banking top up facility then came to nought...

I hadn't been to the local bank branch in some years and the new manager's eyes got huge when he saw a falang come thru the door, he even got the bank guard to run interference...I almost lost patience as I have been doing business there for over 10 years...

however I received excellent advice from the K - Bank telephone contact center in discussion with a woman with excellent english language skills and a calm, professional manner...she had probably heard the story before and was sympathetic when I mentioned the non existant english language skills and provincial mentality of the local branch...

hurrah fer k - bank!...

just another day in the rice paddies of SE Asia...

Just extend the validity on your existing SIM. If I remember correctly, dial *1013 and you can get up to a year validity. You can check the Dtac home page for complete information.

DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.

• Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
  • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
  • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
  • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
  • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.