Thai Govt: Rice fraud case being expedited to bring wrongdoers to justice

webfact

Govt: Rice fraud case being expedited to bring wrongdoers to justice

BANGKOK, 29 September 2016 (NNT) – The government has affirmed that investigations are being expedited in order to prosecute all individuals involved in corrupt activities in the rice pledging scheme. 

After an order was issued to former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to pay 35 billion baht or 20 percent of the total damage incurred by the rice pledging scheme during her administration, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam pointed out that probes are underway to name those responsible for the other 80 percent. 

At present, he said 853 persons who live in 33 provinces are suspected to have taken part in the fraudulent acts. Some of them are facing more than one case. The highest number of cases is reported in Nakhon Sawan province at around 200 cases, followed by Kamphaeng Phet at 100. 

Mr Wissanu noted that those to be held accountable for the remaining 80 percent of payment can be divided into two groups. The first group is comprised of individuals facing criminal and civil charges whose cases will be handled by the Royal Thai Police and the National Anti-Corruption Commission, respectively.

The second group is for those who were in charge of policy work and investigations against them will be mainly conducted by the National Anti-Corruption Operation Center. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-29

I envision these case drags on and on for decades to come, as the government demands

are unrealistic to say the least, and these case will be marred and bogged in the courts

for many years and in the end the government will back down and a bang will turned

into a whimper Thai style.

47 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Meanwhile, nepotism and malfeasance at the very heart of the junta is being downplayed to protect wrongdoers from justice.

Would have been great if the junta had gone after preechai his son too.. that would have been the best news ever and would have made them a 100x better government than the PTP. Unfortunately they show that they are bad too. Still.. at least they go after corruption its  better than doing nothing or excusing 26.000 graft cases with an amnesty. But the junta really disappointed me. 

Seems I am right that governments must change often as its the only way to punish corrupt officials that were previously protected. Its far from perfect but beats the alternative that they all get off without any problems (really hope someone does something about preechai his son later on) 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Would have been great if the junta had gone after preechai his son too.. that would have been the best news ever and would have made them a 100x better government than the PTP. Unfortunately they show that they are bad too. Still.. at least they go after corruption its  better than doing nothing or excusing 26.000 graft cases with an amnesty. But the junta really disappointed me. 

Seems I am right that governments must change often as its the only way to punish corrupt officials that were previously protected. Its far from perfect but beats the alternative that they all get off without any problems (really hope someone does something about preechai his son later on) 

Yes, it would certainly have made their anti-corruption stance much stronger; however, this being just another of many corruption charge against them (Rajabhakti Park anyone?) means that it is pretty much same stuff different day.

The main difference here is the closeness to Prayuth himself.

The only problem, well, the main problem with changing governments is that leaves the deeper structures of the Thai culture and society unchanged. What needs to change is that the country must cease being run by the bureaucracy and a small but powerful feudal elite, with the military as its strong arm. That is, of course, easier said than done, and won't happen without a lot of pain.

3 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Yes, it would certainly have made their anti-corruption stance much stronger; however, this being just another of many corruption charge against them (Rajabhakti Park anyone?) means that it is pretty much same stuff different day.

The main difference here is the closeness to Prayuth himself.

The only problem, well, the main problem with changing governments is that leaves the deeper structures of the Thai culture and society unchanged. What needs to change is that the country must cease being run by the bureaucracy and a small but powerful feudal elite, with the military as its strong arm. That is, of course, easier said than done, and won't happen without a lot of pain.

I never said that changing of governments is perfect (its wrong actually if done by a coup) but its the only thing that helps at this point (your solution is better but a goverment change happens easier here). I doubt that things will change fast.. everyone in power wants to make money and that is what creates the violence. They are willing to let people die to get in power. I don't see this change anytime soon.. so i just go for the easiest solution one that at least works (just a bit)

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I never said that changing of governments is perfect (its wrong actually if done by a coup) but its the only thing that helps at this point (your solution is better but a goverment change happens easier here). I doubt that things will change fast.. everyone in power wants to make money and that is what creates the violence. They are willing to let people die to get in power. I don't see this change anytime soon.. so i just go for the easiest solution one that at least works (just a bit)

Yes, I understood that - I wasn't meaning to admonish you. It's sadly true what you say about the feudal elite being willing to let people die to get into, or cling onto power. That is the tragedy of Thailand.

57 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Yes, I understood that - I wasn't meaning to admonish you. It's sadly true what you say about the feudal elite being willing to let people die to get into, or cling onto power. That is the tragedy of Thailand.

I did not take it as a bad comment, mainly i think we see things quite similar. Yes.. the elite (everyone in power is elite) does not care for the little people.. they are just pawns to get them in power. Give them enough scraps to keep them happy and when needed fire them up and let them kill or get killed. Then let them rot in jail while they bail out the people a bit higher on the food chain. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I did not take it as a bad comment, mainly i think we see things quite similar. Yes.. the elite (everyone in power is elite) does not care for the little people.. they are just pawns to get them in power. Give them enough scraps to keep them happy and when needed fire them up and let them kill or get killed. Then let them rot in jail while they bail out the people a bit higher on the food chain. 

You forgot: "and god forbid anyone speak out about our perfect (for us) system, so we'll enforce some of the most draconian laws in the developing world."

3 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

You forgot: "and god forbid anyone speak out about our perfect (for us) system, so we'll enforce some of the most draconian laws in the developing world."

Oh yes the defamation laws.. they all use them .. they all love them.. none of the elite ever touched them not the Democrats not PTP and not the army.. nobody wants to touch that.