Increased water discharge from dams to cause greater havoc along Chao Phraya river

webfact

Increased water discharge from dams to cause greater havoc along Chao Phraya river

148_Dam-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Water discharged from two major dams, Chao Phraya in Chai Nat and Pasak Jolasid in Lopburi are expected to wreak more havoc to riverside residents and farmlands in seven provinces located in the Chao Phraya basin this week.

Irrigation officials said the rate of charge from the dams would be increased and this will result in the rise of water in the Chao Phraya river.

In Ayutthaya, affected by the discharge is Sena district where over 10,000 rai of paddy fields were damaged by floods, and more than 5,000 homes are submerged.

Sena district chief Sophon Kajaphan said 67 villages in nine subdistricts are flooded, with some villages under three metres high of flood water.

Other areas are between 50-70 centimetres high of flood water.

He said these villages were submerged when discharge rate from Chao Phraya dam was 600 cubic metres a second.

But now the flow rate was 2,000 cubic metres a second, he said, adding that more havoc is expected.

Currently over 10,000 rai of paddy fields had been damaged.

In adjavent Ang Thong province, residents living along the Chao Phraya River remained under one meter of water, particularly in Phamok district, which have been inundated for a week.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/increased-water-discharge-dams-cause-greater-havoc-along-chao-phraya-river/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-29

Aa cursory glance at the photo looks as if they have failed to clear the river of water hyacinths and this in turn may be causing clogging of the flow which has backed up.

I increasingly get the impression that those managing water in Thailand did not get their jobs by merit or knowledge of water management but by some other possibly nefarious means.

43 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

Aa cursory glance at the photo looks as if they have failed to clear the river of water hyacinths and this in turn may be causing clogging of the flow which has backed up.

I increasingly get the impression that those managing water in Thailand did not get their jobs by merit or knowledge of water management but by some other possibly nefarious means.

Yet, many were in the same jobs in 2011...

Can't really fault them though, I mean they've only had dams for 50 years - combine that with the rains have only been coming annually for, oh I don't know, forever - is it any wonder they still can't get it right?

Edited by jamesbrock
formatting issues

The flooding of 10, 000 rai of paddy fields is someone's fault (apart from the rain which gets blamed for everything that goes bad in Thailand.

Some Irrigation Officer I suspect. Out with Section 44 and take his/her worldly possessions away from them to pay for compensation to the government.

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I could have sworn this happened this time last year........and the year before......and the year...............................!

Shhh... These things take time to get right. Like stormwater drainage. And road building. And traffic enforcement. Policing in general. Justice. Education. Government. You can't expect perfection overnight!

54 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I could have sworn this happened this time last year........and the year before......and the year...............................!

41 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Shhh... These things take time to get right. Like stormwater drainage. And road building. And traffic enforcement. Policing in general. Justice. Education. Government. You can't expect perfection overnight!

I guess you guys have Alzheimers or just like to think your clever. I live in one of the areas flooded in 2011. We've had no concerns for the few couple of years. However, I've been pretty concerned since the focus after suffering the drought from late 2015 until a month ago has been to store water. I'm still very worried that we will be flooded, but your BS is just Thai bashing.  

4 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I guess you guys have Alzheimers or just like to think your clever. I live in one of the areas flooded in 2011. We've had no concerns for the few couple of years. However, I've been pretty concerned since the focus after suffering the drought from late 2015 until a month ago has been to store water. I'm still very worried that we will be flooded, but your BS is just Thai bashing.  

Yawn.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Yeah, 'cause it's the yearly protect BKK and inundate the rest of Thailand times,...... sooooo hard to figure out,.... aight??? :sleepy:

I've got to plan a place to park my car on highland if the waters rise as they have before. In Ayuttaya and Prathuthani some of the factories built better walls around them for floods last time. That won't too help much if they can't drive through the roads and send their products. Islands in the flood.

18 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

you'd have thought 60 years was enough.