non-immigration O visa (visiting spouse) (multiple entry)

I am sure there is a thread explaining all of this, but I cannot seem to locate it. I do not wish someone to re-state what has been stated already.

But here is the info anyway.

I entered LOS on Dec. 28, 2015.

I have been doing the 90 days runs.

Strangely the departure card stamps says I can stay until dec 20, 2016, but I would think my visa expires dec. 11, 2016 (since it was issued dec. 11, 2015). No?

since

I would like to stay. What are my options?

Can I ask for an extension (how long)? How?

When do I need to get out?Can I enter dec. 9? My visa will have expired. This seems unlikely. 

I read this:

" Multiple entry: 1 year (you must enter Thailand on your final visit before expiry of the visa from the date of issue) "

My visa details:

Date of issue: dec 11, 2016

enter before: 10 dec. 2016

Last stamp: can stay until 20 dec.2016

Thank you.

Before the expiration of your multiple non-immigrant O visa in December of this year, you can action another visa run in order obtain to a further 90 days stay which will give you a total of approx 15 months stay, i.e. until March 2017.

In March next year you will then need to apply at immigration for an extension or alternately, obtain a further multiple non-immigrant O visa which will give you a approx a further 15 months stay in the Kingdom.

Edited by hathairat2711

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Strangely the departure card stamps says I can stay until dec 20, 2016, but I would think my visa expires dec. 11, 2016 (since it was issued dec. 11, 2015). No?

No!

Completely normal.

Just adding to above post.

You last entered Thailand on Sep 22 with a valid O visa and got another 90 day permission to stay until Dec 20.

Up and including Dec 11 you can do another border run and get another 90 day stamp.

Dec 11 would give permission to stay until March 10.

Better plan a day or two just in case.

Border run on Dec 9 or 10.

• 1 month later...

I am seeking further confirmation on this (spousal o multiple entry visa) as my GF (and the border immigration officer), after consulting and sending my visa/stamp page to her, is indicating I would be in trouble after Dec. 20. 

Who is right?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

You cannot remain on your current permission to stay beyond its 'admitted until' date.. Which appears to be Dec 20 you must action or leave before that.

If you leave, and return, any time prior to the expiry of the visa, that will generate a new 90 days permission to stay. 

10 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You cannot remain on your current permission to stay beyond its 'admitted until' date.. Which appears to be Dec 20 you must action or leave before that.

If you leave, and return, any time prior to the expiry of the visa, that will generate a new 90 days permission to stay. 

Thanks! So, you are confirming that there is absolutely no way I could have any problem when I will show up at the border a few days before the "enter before" date of the 10 of Dec. At this time they will without thinking twice about it, give me 90 more days.

To put it simply.. The visa allows you to enter Thailand, when you enter you then get a permission to stay. Once you get the concept that visas (issued outside the country) and permissions to stay (given on arrival and if requirements are met extended at immigration) are different lots of other aspects fall into place (why do I need re-entry permits.. Do I border hop or do a 90 day report) etc etc. 

Yes if your VISA expires 10 Dec, any entry into Thailand prior to that date, will generate a new permission to stay, no judgement or officer interpretation, asking for it, etc involved. 

Upon looking at the stamp and reading the answers here, it dawned on me (it could have been faster, I know) that the stamp that was done last time I did a visa run and that allows me to stay AFTER Dec. 10 (the ENTER BEFORE date of the visa) (I guess that is why they don't write  expiry date) hinted that the visa can be "extended" .

I could show up between the 11 and the 20th of December and I would still be okay in Thailand. However, I would not be able to ask for a 90 days permission to stay since the visa would be null and void. 

I will go to the border on the 7th of Dec. or so (as I read there is a 48 hours time that they could enforce, but which is rarely done, if ever). 

Now, suppose the impossible and the BO does not grant me the 90 days. What is my recourse? I guess I should talk it out (but not argue, as they would lose face). How would you handle that eventuality, however remote it might be?

After December 10th you would not get a new 90 day entry.

On or before December 10th you will get a new 90 day entry. If you enter on December 7th you will another 90 day entry.

There is no requirement to stay out of the country for 48 hours. You only have to be out of the country long enough to turnaround and come back.

3 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I will go to the border on the 7th of Dec. or so (as I read there is a 48 hours time that they could enforce, but which is rarely done, if ever). 

You are the third person who has posted about this fictitious 48 hour requirement. I am curious as to which site is peddling this misinformation.

The only (minor) related issue to be aware of, which is not a Thai immigration rule, applies if doing an in/out via a land border with Cambodia. There is a rule, sometimes enforced, that those crossing by land into Cambodia should stay at least one night in Cambodia. If Cambodian immigration try to enforce this, a small gift is sufficient to have the rule waived. Often, it is not even mentioned.

On 11/3/2016 at 9:53 PM, BritTim said:

You are the third person who has posted about this fictitious 48 hour requirement. I am curious as to which site is peddling this misinformation.

The only (minor) related issue to be aware of, which is not a Thai immigration rule, applies if doing an in/out via a land border with Cambodia. There is a rule, sometimes enforced, that those crossing by land into Cambodia should stay at least one night in Cambodia. If Cambodian immigration try to enforce this, a small gift is sufficient to have the rule waived. Often, it is not even mentioned.

Thank you for clarifying. Please understand that the amount of rules and misinformation on the net can overwhelm people.

Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight.

On 11/3/2016 at 6:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

After December 10th you would not get a new 90 day entry.

On or before December 10th you will get a new 90 day entry. If you enter on December 7th you will another 90 day entry.

There is no requirement to stay out of the country for 48 hours. You only have to be out of the country long enough to turnaround and come back.

Thank you for clarifying and setting the record straight with regards to the 48 hrs. rule.

My wife contacted a border officer she trust and she was told that indeed I could get the 90 days "extension" on or before the 10th. It became apparent to me, confirmed after reading the answers here, that the stamp that had been put in my passport and that exceeded the "entry before date" of the passport was incontrovertible evidence that this would be so. The only issue  that came up was the doubt that my wife had put into the idea. After some clarification, it was clear that she was talking to me about getting 90 days during the time between the enter before date and the stamp date (10 days after that). 

I apologize for causing the trouble.

Thank you; May this help someone else.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

Last questions here.

After I exit for my 4th time and get the extra 90 days, I can ask for a one year extension at the immigration office. Is it 45 days or 30 days before the end of that final permit? Is the protocol the same as if I were to ask the same visa? No money in the bank involved with that too. Right?

Thank you.

11 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Last questions here.

After I exit for my 4th time and get the extra 90 days, I can ask for a one year extension at the immigration office. Is it 45 days or 30 days before the end of that final permit? Is the protocol the same as if I were to ask the same visa? No money in the bank involved with that too. Right?

Thank you.

You don't have to wait for your visa to expire to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. You can apply for it during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from it.

You need to meet the financial requirement to apply for the extension.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to wait for your visa to expire to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. You can apply for it during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from it.

You need to meet the financial requirement to apply for the extension.

Thanks, Ubonjoe.

Oh! Thanks! That makes sense! But, it makes more sense to delay it as far as it is possible. Lat 30 days! I was unsure. Thanks.

I read somewhere that: "One doesn't need a re-entry permit with a ME Non 'O' unless you want to keep the last entry/permit to stay alive after the visa has expired."

Is this correct? Do I need to do this if ask for an extension as you advocate.

Is the financial requirement 400,000 or the same than the one that one needs to get a visa based on marriage? The fee is 1900B to get the extension as well. One needs to follow exactly the same procedure in terms of paper work than one would if one were to apply for a visa based on marriage. Right?

I am sorry for asking these questions. Is there not ONE website where all of this is clearly stated?

Thanks for your patience and your support.

8 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Thanks, Ubonjoe.

Oh! Thanks! That makes sense! But, it makes more sense to delay it as far as it is possible. Lat 30 days! I was unsure. Thanks.

I read somewhere that: "One doesn't need a re-entry permit with a ME Non 'O' unless you want to keep the last entry/permit to stay alive after the visa has expired."

Is this correct? Do I need to do this if ask for an extension as you advocate.

Is the financial requirement 400,000 or the same than the one that one needs to get a visa based on marriage? The fee is 1900B to get the extension as well. One needs to follow exactly the same procedure in terms of paper work than one would if one were to apply for a visa based on marriage. Right?

I am sorry for asking these questions. Is there not ONE website where all of this is clearly stated?

Thanks for your patience and your support.

I you want to travel during the 90 days after your visa expires you need a re-entry permit to it valid if you want to travel.

To apply for a one year extension based upon marriage you need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof 40k baht income.

You will need a lot paper work than what is needed to apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at an embassy or consulate.

List of required documents is here. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

OP, you seem to be confusing yourself even though you have been given the answer several times.

You are on a permission to stay stamp, which expires on 20th Dec. If you do nothing, then you must leave by the 20th Dec.

Your ME Non O allows unlimited entries until the "enter before" date, in your case, the 10th Dec. You do not need a re entry permit.

To obtain the longest stay possible under your current circumstances, you do a border run before the 10th Dec, so getting another 90 day permission to stay.

If you try to do a border run between 10th & 20th Dec, you will only get a 30 or 15 day visa exempt stamp (depending on nationality).

If you want to stay for a year, then as long as you meet a the requirements, this can be done in country up to 45 days before your permission to stay expires.

Good luck

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I you want to travel during the 90 days after your visa expires you need a re-entry permit to it valid if you want to travel.

To apply for a one year extension based upon marriage you need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof 40k baht income.

You will need a lot paper work than what is needed to apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at an embassy or consulate.

List of required documents is here. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

Thanks, Ubonjoe!

Thanks for the clarification for the travelling out!

I will use the income option. The sentence in the official doc. does not seem to indicate that the transfers of income need to occur 2 months before the time I get the extension. It looks like the proof is the letter from the embassy, which can be attached to the documentation when one applies "during the last 30 days or before". My pension should be coming for the first time in Dec. (or 90 days before the end of the next and final 90 days that I will get in Dec.). Is the extension always and automatically given at the end of the last 90 days, regardless of when you apply? I guess earlier the better to avoid issues.

I am from Chiang Mai. Hopefully, their list is very similar. I will phone to find out. I have been married 8 years now using a lot of tourist visas in the past, as I was still working overseas. This is my first NON-O visa, as I have now moved permanently in LOS.

6 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Thanks, Ubonjoe!

Thanks for the clarification for the travelling out!

I will use the income option. The sentence in the official doc. does not seem to indicate that the transfers of income need to occur 2 months before the time I get the extension. It looks like the proof is the letter from the embassy, which can be attached to the documentation when one applies "during the last 30 days or before". My pension should be coming for the first time in Dec. (or 90 days before the end of the next and final 90 days that I will get in Dec.). Is the extension always and automatically given at the end of the last 90 days, regardless of when you apply? I guess earlier the better to avoid issues.

I am from Chiang Mai. Hopefully, their list is very similar. I will phone to find out. I have been married 8 years now using a lot of tourist visas in the past, as I was still working overseas. This is my first NON-O visa, as I have now moved permanently in LOS.

That is list I made up some time ago. Most of what is on the list is what I have when I apply for my extensions.

For income their is no requirement for it to of been coming in any amount of time. You will have to check with your embassy to find out what is needed to get the income  letter.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days before your 90 entry ends. The extension starts when your current permission to stay ends.

After the application is accepted a under consideration stamp will be done with a report back date 30 day from when you did the application or from the date your permit to stay ends dependent upon where you apply. I think CM starts it on the date you apply.

21 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

OP, you seem to be confusing yourself even though you have been given the answer several times.

You are on a permission to stay stamp, which expires on 20th Dec. If you do nothing, then you must leave by the 20th Dec.

Your ME Non O allows unlimited entries until the "enter before" date, in your case, the 10th Dec. You do not need a re entry permit.

To obtain the longest stay possible under your current circumstances, you do a border run before the 10th Dec, so getting another 90 day permission to stay.

If you try to do a border run between 10th & 20th Dec, you will only get a 30 or 15 day visa exempt stamp (depending on nationality).

If you want to stay for a year, then as long as you meet a the requirements, this can be done in country up to 45 days before your permission to stay expires.

Good luck

Please do not obfuscate:

"

I am seeking further confirmation on this (spousal o multiple entry visa) as my wife (and the border immigration officer), after consulting and sending my visa/stamp page to her,  are indicating I would be in trouble after Dec. 20. 

Who is right?

Thank you fir taking the time to restate what others did. I am sorry for the added stress I gave you and others.

As in many circumstances in life,  the second question was not my fault. I was clear before after reading the answers given by the nice members of TV like UbonJoe and PhukhetMan. You can check the timeline on this. Sadly,  my wife (and the BIO) focussed on the Dec. 20th part,  panicking. I had indicated this to my wife before. She was adamant I would be in trouble. Maybe the BIO forgot to tell my wife that I could do a run. Maybe she did and my wife forgot or did not explain herself clearly to me. Maybe I misunderstood her. At the time, my wife was working and busy 18 hours a day.  Maybe she was tired. Circumstances, language, cultures can create. misunderstanding. 

I am sorry for forcing people to repeat answers.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is list I made up some time ago. Most of what is on the list is what I have when I apply for my extensions.

For income their is no requirement for it to of been coming in any amount of time. You will have to check with your embassy to find out what is needed to get the income  letter.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days before your 90 entry ends. The extension starts when your current permission to stay ends.

After the application is accepted a under consideration stamp will be done with a report back date 30 day from when you did the application or from the date your permit to stay ends dependent upon where you apply. I think CM starts it on the date you apply.

THANK YOU!

• 4 weeks later...

Just reporting that I went to Mae Sai and all went well. As advised, I went there before the visa expiry date ended and I got 90 days. Had I chosen to go there using the last 90 days stamp, which was set 10 days later, I would have been in trouble. I would have had to pay 10 x 500 B =  5000 B. Correct?

To be honest, they should really offer better service to foreigners. They could for instance mentioned the issue when they stamp the passport. THEY know that they can extort 500 B. a day. I am sure they know that this can lead to a misunderstanding (and having since the book at immigration once they should).

Btw, Myanmar visa on arrival is 500 B or 10 USD. (which is 350 B.). They ask first 500 B. LOL They also ask if one would like to do some shopping. Do they have a vested interest in that happening? You can refuse in which case the guy takes your passport across on the exit sign and puts a exit stamp there. (They used to do that in the entrance office for years.) I guess stamps are expensive. LOL I tried to follow the guy (as I do not wish to leave my passport out of sight), but he insisted that I stay near the in-gate office. Should I have done it?

Now, I am going to try to get a retirement visa or a spousal visa. I guess (if I cannot) I could always go to another country and reapply for another O visa, visiting spousal visa for one year and 90 days. Does one need to have the money in a Thailand bank to qualify? Is this clearly stated in the law?

Thanks to all who have helped. I will add a report in the Chiang Mai threat to help others.