Airport ?

Manassas

Like many posts I've seen here, I live up north but am coming down this week with the idea to look around for a rental house. Would like to rent somewhere year round so we can take a break when we want. But what's the story behind the lack of an airport? We will drive down for longer stays but fly for short stays. Is flying to BKK and taking a shuttle down the only option? Do you locals find the lack of an airport is much of an inconvenience?

By the way, looking for an attractive small house 2bdrm with pool in a development with security because we will only be there part-time. Any tips on developments are welcome or anybody who has one on the market feel free to PM me.

6 minutes ago, Manassas said:

Thanks michaelaway. I've never even heard of this airline. 

They served Udon-Pattaya (U-Tapao) with excellent service for short spell before switching their small fleet to serve more lucrative domestic routes direct to/from CNX. Better keep an eye on their schedule changes before committing to a Hua Hin getaway based solely on air accessibility and find out that BKK or DMK are the only real options.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

They served Udon-Pattaya (U-Tapao) with excellent service for short spell before switching their small fleet to serve more lucrative domestic routes direct to/from CNX. Better keep an eye on their schedule changes before committing to a Hua Hin getaway based solely on air accessibility and find out that BKK or DMK are the only real options.

I will not count on any small airline. But in picking a beach town for a second home I think the option of flying would be very convenient, especially if I want to stay and the wife wants to fly back north etc. I don't know Hua Hin so am coming to check it out. I'm mainly looking for a decent beach, housing, restaurants and hospitals and want to avoid an over abundance of the bar nightlife scene. 

Nice to know that there's an option with Kan Air. But I am curious, given that there is an airport in HH, why isn't it served by the better known carriers Air Asia, Nok, Lion etc? It would seem that there is a market for air travel. Even the BKKers might fly down. Is it a noise ban or some infrastructure deficit?

On 02/10/2016 at 8:43 AM, Manassas said:

Nice to know that there's an option with Kan Air. But I am curious, given that there is an airport in HH, why isn't it served by the better known carriers Air Asia, Nok, Lion etc? It would seem that there is a market for air travel. Even the BKKers might fly down. Is it a noise ban or some infrastructure deficit?

With the close proximity to Bkk airports there isnt so much of a need and the likes of Samui, Phuket, Pattaya are all within 6 hours drive or less. 

NOK used to have a daily service to the airport but dropped it because it was a money loser.  I would love to have a regular connector from BKK airport, but it won't happen because the route is not viable and there are no available landing slots for a short hop commuter flight.

One of the negative aspects of the former route was the luggage weight limit that applied. 1  bag, 20 kg because of the small plane that was used.

maybe one day, there will be an option to  take a train from BKK.  I am always so impressed by AMS and FRA with their intelligent approach to train connections at the airport.

• 3 weeks later...