Thai govt to promote “must-visit” markets in all 77 provinces

webfact

Govt to promote “must-visit” markets in all 77 provinces

BANGKOK, 3 October 2016 (NNT) - The government set up a new campaign to promote “must-visit” markets in all 77 provinces while communities will be developed to help boost tourism. 

Government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had planned to encourage local villagers nationwide to sell their community-based products for which the government will launch the “must-visit” markets campaign. Agricultural, handicraft, OTOP and consumer products will be available for sales at those markets. 

Local identities need to be maintained with slight adjustment in landscape to draw more visitors and tourists while the project is expected to generate some 500,000 baht a day and to open 231 markets, or three from each province, by 2018. 

The government is looking forward to cooperation between the Ministry of Commerce and Tourism Authority of Thailand to promote those markets as a highlighted tourist attraction.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-03

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

from what i can tell they all sell the same stuff. why travel further to buy it?

And very often at inflated prices when compared to similar items in non-promoted "must-visit" markets.

" The government set up a new campaign to promote “must-visit” markets in all 77 provinces "

so the first phase is that all European expats must collect photos of themselves visiting all the markets in their chosen province and getting dated receipts plus an affidavit from the market owner, translated into Thai and photocopied 3 times, every time the expat goes for 90 day reporting.

I travelled extensively around Mexico, and loved going to the markets or shopping in different towns.  Each had unique food, things to buy, etc.

I find in Thailand everyone just sells the same thing.  Had a guy trying to sell me his 'wine'.  I took a sip and it must have been 40% sugar.  Yuck!  I love dessert wines, like berry wines, but this just tasted like canned grape juice with an extra 10 spoons of sugar thrown in.