Mae Hong Son Loop Status

squareflips

I am planning to do the Mae Hong Son Loop next week.  I was just wondering if I should put it on hold due to the rainy weather.  Would it be a problem?  Also, if I remember correctly, sometime in September, there was some severe flooding and damages.  Is the loop safe to do on a compact car?

1 hour ago, nikhilch86 said:

i am planning to do it in November 3rd week. Considering weather and road conditions, is it a good time??

A most excellent time of the year to do the loop.  But there is usually some stretch of road in need of repair. Depending on your vehicles suspension just drive with appropriate caution. And if you haven't done so for awhile, check your brakes before departure.  I prefer the northern loop using the Khun Yuam, Mae Chaem (that stretch of the 1263 was in need of repair earlier in the year) , Doi Inthanon option, but Mae Sariang also has its charms.

By the way, always worth investing in the GT-Rider MHS Loop map for side trip and day trip options on the loop such as the Mong Microwave village.

Edited by Johpa

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:40 PM, chiang mai said:

In fact the CM/Pai road is perfect (as of two weeks ago), however some reports are that the Pai/MHS stretch are less good.

there is construction  and repair work from MHS to PAI road

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2016 at 0:29 AM, nikhilch86 said:

@sqaureflips, keep me posted bro.. About your ride, road amd weather conditions...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Got back sometime last week.  Rode for about  a week.  Road was great from Chiangmai -> Pai with some parts in need of repair / currently repairing to Mae Hong Son.  Overall, good drive and weather was great! Only had 1 night of rain, but that is late in the evening.  Make sure your tires are in good condition and pay attention to them as mine developed a budge despite checking on correct tire pressure every early morning. Luckily it developed at the end of the loop back in Chiangmai and I was able to easily replace it.  Also beware that some drivers don't like slowing down on curves and will move and take over opposite lanes.  

2 hours ago, squareflips said:

Got back sometime last week.  Rode for about  a week.  Road was great from Chiangmai -> Pai with some parts in need of repair / currently repairing to Mae Hong Son.  Overall, good drive and weather was great! Only had 1 night of rain, but that is late in the evening.  Make sure your tires are in good condition and pay attention to them as mine developed a budge despite checking on correct tire pressure every early morning. Luckily it developed at the end of the loop back in Chiangmai and I was able to easily replace it.  Also beware that some drivers don't like slowing down on curves and will move and take over opposite lanes.  

Cool... thanks mate... I will surely check on tires before leaving for ride. Which bike you rode??