A friend in need

sanemax

A friend, well, someone whom I have a, had a drink with when I see him in the bar is a bit down in the doldrums .

His money has ran out : No money for food , rent or drink .

Ever since I ve known him, hes been drinking his money away, now its all gone .

Im going to avoid him in the future

A friend, well, someone whom I have a, had a drink with when I see him in the bar is a bit down in the doldrums

"Have a, had a" And you once critiqued my use of one word! Get a grip Max... but never mind. 

"a bit down in the doldrums" is probably going to be the high point for someone who becomes destitute... 

6 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

"Have a, had a" And you once critiqued my use of one word! Get a grip Max... but never mind. 

I was stating that we previously had a drink together, but we no longer do .

I changed the present tense, into a past tense .

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Im not sure what the discussion is about. You just wanted to tell us that someone you know ran out of money?

No, its about whether to help acquaintances who are on the verge of being destitute . 

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, its about whether to help acquaintances who are on the verge of being destitute . 

How can you help him, if in your own words are "going to avoid him in the future" If he has drank his money away, what can you do, give him more money to p!ss up the wall?

More than 2 decades ago in Bkk I saw a similar thing.

The guy drank and womanized to the point of being destitute. But the guy concerned was an IT whiz kid and, ahead of the pack, had for free developed what's now called enterprise IT stuff for many schools. Pleasant guy he was also the first to offer help in any way he could to others with problems. 

His many friends decided to pool some cash and buy him a one way air ticket home to Australia and also a bus ticket to his home town from Sydney airport.  The night before the flight several friends slept at his room and then they actually took him to Don Muang airport and watched him go into the airside area and waited at that point until 30 minutes after the flight departed.  

He made no attempt to fight going home and was extremely grateful for the kindness of his friends. He never returned. 

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

ok, semantic differences aside - - 

The details here are important. I just did the same for a friend who was temporarily destitute, in that he could not access his funds from a foreign country. He made mistakes. I did send him airfare and he did pay me back through time as he got himself together. 

The questions I would ask myself would be whether or not you are helping someone to get through a temporary crisis or just enabling them to live until the next crisis, maybe only a few days later. I would also consider how this person came to be destitute. Poor planning? Too much drink? My experience with bailing out alcoholics is that it is futile... they just end up drunk and stranded somewhere else 2 days later... so, the circumstances matter. If you were to help him out, what do you think the chances are you will be repaid? Though this may not be important to you, it might speak to whether or not your money is well spent. Are you buying him a plane tkt home? Or just a few days more of drink? 

Good luck. 

"A friend in need" = "Im going to avoid him in the future"

Fair enough, though I thought it was going to be one of those done-a-good-deed, feel-good threads.

I think the best anyone could do is get them home as opposed to dishing out cash (for more beer).

What you're decribing is a barroom buddy, drinking pal acquaintance - not a friend......Not much of a bond there beyond the next round or bar talk....

A friend I'd help if a I could.....

A barroom sot would be difficult to fit into this category.....Chances are you're surrounded by them while sharing a round or two....

Archived