lasik, phuket or BKK?

steve2112

I had mine done at the International on the Bypass about 5 years ago and was very happy with it. I got it done in low season and it was 45k baht instead of 60k IIRC.

They don't offer the service any more (may have re-  introduced it since I last enquired though)  but the Doctor who did it comes to a clinic further up the bypass once a week from Bkk- I thought she was excellent. Not in Phuket for another ten days so can't look up the place. 

Other option would be the Rutnin eye hospital in Bangkok.

Its your eyes- don't scrimp on cost.

Don't bother with LASIK, it's meant for younger people that have an astigmatism.

If you are over 45 years old and your near vision is age related, then you need Lens Replacement.

I had it done for both eyes and my vision is now as good as when I was a teenager and it's permanent. Best money I've ever spent.

23 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Don't bother with LASIK, it's meant for younger people that have an astigmatism.

If you are over 45 years old and your near vision is age related, then you need Lens Replacement.

I had it done for both eyes and my vision is now as good as when I was a teenager and it's permanent. Best money I've ever spent.

Where'd you get that done?

Just read the attached article and it sounds like exactly what I need.

Which type of lens did you get and how long was your recovery time?

http://www.lasereyesurgeryhub.co.uk/lens-replacement-surgery-typical-costs-procedure/

Edited by beechbum

I got it done at BHP.

At the time, the multi-focus lens had been out about a year, so, I opted for them as they were the most advanced.

I had one eye done (about three hours of prep + 20 minute operation) under local anesthetic, then the other a couple of days later.

For one week, you have to keep the eye away from water, so, you have to be careful in the shower.

After a week, you are physically recovered.

I must admit, when they took off the dressing for the first eye, I was bitterly disappointed. Previously, I had to use reading glasses and another set for far distance.

Went to see the doc about the disappointing result and he said that it takes time, anywhere up to a month, for the brain to work everything out.

Sure enough, three weeks later, it all clicked. I can now read text that is 0.5mm high without glasses. My far vision is astounding.

The only side effect, due to the multi-focal lenses having concentric circles, is that you see lights at night with multiple coronas. Eventually, the brain learns to ignore these, though it takes a long time; two years, or more. It doesn't really affect your vision, it's just a nuisance.

For both eyes, all up was 156,000 Bt. I believe it is now close to 200,000 Bt, but, it is still worth it as you'll never need glasses again.

Before I went for Replacement Lens surgery, over the years, I had been asking doctors in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore if I should have LASIK to correct my sight.

The answers were different and confusing; some saying yes and some saying no.

Whilst on a business trip to Australia, I went to see an Optometrist and asked him about LASIK surgery.

He said absolutely not. With age-related vision problems, the culprit is nearly always the lens.

The lens loses elasticity over the years which means that the iris muscles can longer pull the lens to the extremes that it did before.

If you use a laser to shave the cornea to correct for what is a lens problem, then, as the lens gets even less elastic, your vision ends up where it was before.

There is only so much cornea that can be shaved.

He said that LASIK was really used for children and young adults that have corneas with varying thickness that used to need glasses to correct the vision.

He was the only medical person that actually explained everything to me thoroughly and in laymen's terms. Lot of dishonest doctors in SE Asia.

On 10/4/2016 at 6:53 PM, KarenBravo said:

Surely the advice on what is best for an individual is down to a doctor following a consultation, not some random bloke on the internet.

There are many variables and some things are suitable for some people, others for others.

Just because it was right for you doesn't make it right for others, despite your extended comment above.

Edited by Psimbo

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Surely the advice on what is best for an individual is down to a doctor following a consultation, not some random bloke on the internet.

There are many variables and some things are suitable for some people. others for others.

Just because it was right for you doesn't make it right for others.

Absolutely. Don't take my word for it.

But, I do believe the Australian doctor that LASIK should never be used to correct age related sight problems that involve the lens. Just logical really.

Edited by KarenBravo

8 hours ago, Psimbo said:

There are many variables and some things are suitable for some people, others for others.

Just because it was right for you doesn't make it right for others, despite your extended comment above.

Of course there would have to be a consultation, pretty bloody obvious to anyone, but hearing of others experiences/ideas is also very good, I'd never heard of the procedure until KB had posted it.

It's what a forums all about.

Edited by beechbum

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 8:53 AM, KarenBravo said:

yep, i went to one place and got the same answer.