anti-rust treatment in Phuket

andreww

Folks,

Buying a new car, dealer insists that in Phuket it's important to have an anti-corrosion coating applied. The salesman found a shop that cost 12,000 thb for anti rust and colour coat, 5 years warranty and we have to take the car to that garage once every 6 months for check up (600 baht) each time.

Question: is it considered a good deal, and can someone recommend any other shop to compare the deal?

Most importantly, is there any way to check whether they did a good job? :) Cheers.

Just trying to sell you a pig in a poke ( excuse the expression)

No reason  to get rust proofing on modern vehicles unless you are driving on the beach which is illegal anyway

Modern vehicles don't have rust problems if you do not do anything stupid with them like driving in salt water

Just get your vehicle high pressure washed underneath occasionally by you local car cleaner to stop any mud buildup  

7 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Just trying to sell you a pig in a poke ( excuse the expression)

No reason  to get rust proofing on modern vehicles unless you are driving on the beach which is illegal anyway

Modern vehicles don't have rust problems if you do not do anything stupid with them like driving in salt water

Just get your vehicle high pressure washed underneath occasionally by you local car cleaner to stop any mud buildup  

Really? 

Salt particles remain airborn near the ocean and travel in the air. Constant exposure to these can be seen by the salt resudue often seen on car windshields. It does not require driving in the water. 

I do agree with pressure wash treatments after spraying with a detergent wash, and at a minimum I would also keep a good coat of wax on the painted surfaces and be quick to touch-up any chips that expose metal surfaces. 

But I would also have the undercoat treatment as long as its done professionally (I mean as long as I have personally inspected the shops work on other vehicles and confirmed they do it correctly). But my vehicles are maintained to aviation standards.

What is the package being offered the OP ? A measly 12,000 THB for a vehicle which just cost ???

Edited by ClutchClark

7 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Really? 

Salt particles remain airborn near the ocean and travel in the air. Constant exposure to these can be seen by the salt resudue often seen on car windshields. It does not require driving in the water. 

I do agree with pressure wash treatments after spraying with a detergent wash, and at a minimum I would also keep a good coat of wax on the painted surfaces and be quick to touch-up any chips that expose metal surfaces. 

But I would also have the undercoat treatment as long as its done professionally (I mean as long as I have personally inspected the shops work on other vehicles and confirmed they do it correctly). But my vehicles are maintained to aviation standards.

What is the package being offered the OP ? A measly 12,000 THB for a vehicle which just cost ???

Suite yourself, you have your opinion which you are entitled to and i have mine

A 5 year old ford ranger which is taken to the beach and parked on the sand about twice a week has no rust on the body panels or underneath speaks for itself

Normal car cleaning service and occasional clean underneath and occasionally polished with New Finish polish which was brought from Australia for me at less than 1/2 the price it is here  

5 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

A 5 year old ford ranger which is taken to the beach and parked on the sand about twice a week has no rust on the body panels or underneath speaks for itself

Normal car cleaning service and occasional clean underneath and occasionally polished with New Finish polish which was brought from Australia for me at less than 1/2 the price it is here  

Out of curiousity, do you live within 3 miles of the beach ? 

What is your opinion of New Finish VS a Carnuba Wax ?

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

3 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

You can say that again. 

I suppose I should provide full disclosure to the OP.

Yesterday was my monthly schedule of wiping down all rubber and plastic engine components with Armor-All and metal and aluminum with CRC Rust Prohibitor ....so it is possible I err on the side of caution. 

I live within 1 km from the beach on Phuket and have no rust after 4 years. And since mine is used for diving the tray does get salty regularly, but a good rinse directly afterwards prevents any issues.

I have also never heard of this being recommended by any of the local dealers, and see no need for it myself.

4 hours ago, andreww said:

Buying a new car, dealer insists that in Phuket it's important to have an anti-corrosion coating applied. The salesman found a shop that cost 12,000 thb for anti rust and colour coat, 5 years warranty and we have to take the car to that garage once every 6 months for check up (600 baht) each time.

Question: is it considered a good deal, and can someone recommend any other shop to compare the deal?

Find another dealer. 

Lived my whole life in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico and many years 400 feet from the water. Never in my life have I heard of such a thing. You have to change nothing to your car and do not add anything to the paint from what is already applied from the factory other than a wax every once in a while. 

Furthermore a Thai guarantee is worth just about zero. 

Seriously, this is a blatant money grab, and the dealers brother probably owns the other place. Go to another dealer cause if they are trying this sh*t on, who knows what else they are doing. 

By the way, your paint is ALREADY a protectant. Sheesh you don't have to paint another protectant on your protectant

Man hate this kind of thing. 

4 hours ago, andreww said:

12,000 thb for anti rust and colour coat

Seriously, this right here sounds like they are going to actually spray your car with another kind of paint or something. 

Brand new car? Run. Find a new dealer. 

A good layer of dust will protect the paint. At least that's my reason for never washing the car :-)  My Sportrider spends a lot of time on the beach and halfway in the ocean, still haven't found a spot of rust on the body or underneath. Only corroding bits are the alloy wheels. Typical. Maybe 15 years ago they applied better paint on cars than nowadays?

Edited by Gulfsailor

21 minutes ago, Strange said:

Seriously, this right here sounds like they are going to actually spray your car with another kind of paint or something. 

Brand new car? Run. Find a new dealer. 

OP.

Please disregard my earlier suggestion.

These other posters have far more experience on the matter.

There is a reason they call those places "Stealerships". 

Edited by ClutchClark

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

C C .  Love it when people really know how to take care of their machines.

Ha...thanks Man.

But my area of Colorado is very arid so its easier to do than if I lived in the Midwest.

Edited by ClutchClark

21 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Live about 1 klm from beach, and i find new finish is easier to apply and buff up than any other type of car polish

The correct product name is Nu Finish made in USA and sells for under 500 baht in Australia and under 1300 baht in Thailand

sold in a orange coloured plastic bottle, really easy to apply and remove if you ever polish your own vehicle

It claims to be a once a year polish which it is if you polish your vehicle twice in under a month