Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

1 hour ago, Skywalker69 said:

UK economy 'faces prolonged weakness', Item Club report says.

Britain's economy faces a "prolonged period" of weaker growth as consumer spending slows and business curbs investment, according to a report.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37674169?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Already has it's own thread here :thumbsup::

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/949150-uk-economy-faces-prolonged-weakness-item-club-report-says/

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

And is enshrined in law where?

Not interested. You keep telling us you've accepted brexit, then you show us you haven't with nearly every post you make ("But.....but.....I just want to see more consultation (with bodies that want to block brexit)"  :laugh:).The whole country knew what was going to happen either way following the vote.

Edited by Khun Han

Han, I realise this doesn't fit with your script, but I am interested in an outcome for everyone's benefit.

What is it that you think I am interested in? I have extended family in the UK and I want a sunny future.

I don't think the Brexiteers were the sharpest knives in the drawer and neither do you if your honest with yourself.

Many people are dissatisfied with their lot and why not?

I'm not convinced that the Con government have everyone's interest at heart

On CNN earlier economists were aghast at May's decision to go for March 17 rather than wait until after 3 European elections. Why would she do that?

I reiterate that there is a sound way forward. I don't consider the EU countries to be our enemies. ?

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Not interested. You keep telling us you've accepted brexit, then you show us you haven't with nearly every post you make ("But.....but.....I just want to see more consultation (with bodies that want to block brexit)"  :laugh:.The whole country knew what was going to happen either way following the vote.

You may not be interested but we are, so...

you said, "

18 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

It was a referendum the result of which the government stated it would abide by.

and I asked where it was enshrined in law, so...?

Optionally you could claim that you were mislead, which path do you want to go down? Now aafle and diversions now!

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Han, I realise this doesn't fit with your script, but I am interested in an outcome for everyone's benefit.

What is it that you think I am interested in? I have extended family in the UK and I want a sunny future.

I don't think the Brexiteers were the sharpest knives in the drawer and neither do you if your honest with yourself.

On CNN earlier economists were aghast at May's decision to go for March 17 rather than wait until after 3 European elections. Why would she do that?

I reiterate that there is a sound way forward. I don't consider the EU countries to be our enemies. ?

Grouse I don't consider the EU countries our enemies either just the European Union, as the greatest enemy to every country from Europe in the European Union. You will find that many other European countries feel the same. Germany, France, Italy and Holland to name a few. They don't want their identity taken away and rightly so. But the EU is 'hell bent' on ensuring that we all do the same, the same way and do as they say. Very much like a dictatorship. Its for this reason it will never work.

8 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Taken in isolation you are correct.

Try looking at the fines that have been paid over the last 2 years.

How much the share price has fallen over the last year.

This is much, much more than the DOJ fine of $ 13 Billion.

It has absolutely everything to  do with the euro and Brexit.

Its demise will kill the euro and the EZ as a whole.

The UK will benefit massively from the resulting sh!tstorm when this happens.

"It has absolutely everything to  do with the euro and Brexit." - a little touch of Brostrichism?

24 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I have only questioned one poster's motives in all of these discussions, and that's partly because he's German.

You accuse brexiters of being ignorant/sticking their heads in the sand, mostly off the back of economic forecasts that, so far, keep being confounded. Yet you do your own head-burying when it comes to real issues of EU financial instability (usually trying to divert with a personal dig at the poster raising them), and the stated aim of a federal Europe with (and even a 'numpty' can work this one out) Germany pulling most of it's strings.

By the way, with regard to your CNN reference,  I could use your tactic of dismissing the source (CNN doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for impartiality). But I expect the economists interviewed were genuine in their beliefs and attempts to second guess the UK government. PM May's government have their own economic advisors, of course.

Edited by Khun Han

The demographics of the average Brexiteer were outlined exactly at the time of the Referendum, Brexiteers themselves have subsequently confirmed them to be spot on by virtue of threads such as these. And before you decide to go there, that's not a personal dig or a slightly veiled insult, it's fact!

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

The demographics of the average Brexiteer were outlined exactly at the time of the Referendum, Brexiteers themselves have subsequently confirmed them to be spot on by virtue of threads such as these. And before you decide to go there, that's not a personal dig or a slightly veiled insult, it's fact!

Actually, these threads have, for the most part, proven the opposite. Most of the remainers are, to a large extent, boorish one-trick-ponies who are unable to properly discuss anything that isn't a part of the remain script, and often resort to the insults detailed in the above quoted post to get out of doing so.

Changers.

Here is a great example of the high level of intelligence of your typical remoaner ( Check who liked the post for confirmation )

Post 1495

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

UK jobless figures are at an 11 year low.

So much for foreigners coming to the UK and taking UK citizens jobs? Watched Bloomberg yesterday and they showed a graph of increasing migration to the UK in recent years ... alongside increasing employment numbers. 

UK unemployment at an 11 year low, surely great news ?

No, not quite

“There are continued employment gains with people still joining the labour market out of inactivity - though unemployment is slightly up. Most of the employment gains are in part-time employment.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/oct/19/markets-uk-unemployment-wage-growth-brexit-report-business-live

Part time work = Increased welfare spending through in work benefits.

The UK has proven to be pretty good at re-inventing itself ( so too the former colonies in the US, Canada, Australia, NZ, Singapore, Hong Kong). While Brexit will no doubt pose some serious challenges, the likelihood is that before the process is complete there will be very fundamental change within 'mainstream', old Europe: changes in govt likely if not certain in France, Austria, Spain, Holland, Italy, maybe Germany....govts likely to be far less hardline than Hollande and Merkel. 

The GBP seems to have steadied and it's the Euro on the skids today.

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Actually, these threads have, for the most part, proven the opposite. Most of the remainers are, to a large extent, boorish one-trick-ponies who are unable to properly discuss anything that isn't a part of the remain script, and often resort to the insults detailed in the above quoted post to get out of doing so.

Any valid argument you may have once had on this subject has been lost in the passage of time and blind group support for the Brexit clan. Simply, you've lost the plot.

4 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Your incessant ramblings quoting the Daily Express about Deutchse Bank being the end of the world as we know would be a good start!

".....unable to properly discuss anything that isn't a part of the remain script, and often resort to the insults detailed in the above quoted post to get out of doing so."

Just now, chiang mai said:

"end of the world as we know it would be a good start!"

Tsk tsk Rocky!

A track by REM, I cannot take any credit.

The EU and the EZ, which I have said the collapse of DB could very well bring to an end is not the world.

Another obvious flaw with the remoaners. They think that the world ends at the edges of the EU.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

".....unable to properly discuss anything that isn't a part of the remain script, and often resort to the insults detailed in the above quoted post to get out of doing so."

Are you Han or Rock, or don't you really know.

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You altered that post to delete its meaning, you bad man!

Didn't alter anything. Just clicked on the quote button and replied below the quote. It's a problem with the new software, which is set up to reduce data usage by removing multiquotes.

10 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Any valid argument you may have once had on this subject has been lost in the passage of time and blind group support for the Brexit clan. Simply, you've lost the plot.

I have plenty of valid arguments, and facts and current data to back them up.You have the remain script, which revolves around speculation that has, so far, been spectacularly wrong, and currency exchange rates.

25 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I have plenty of valid arguments, and facts and current data to back them up.You have the remain script, which revolves around speculation that has, so far, been spectacularly wrong, and currency exchange rates.

Spectacularly wrong?  Like predicting the decline of the pound? I don't recall too many Brexiters predicting that.

As for the rest of the remain script, it depends whose you are reading. I think Paul Krugman is best when he posited that Brexit would cut the UK's economic growth, but, in an era when tariffs are already low, it wouldn't be a disaster or even close.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

I have only questioned one poster's motives in all of these discussions, and that's partly because he's German.

You accuse brexiters of being ignorant/sticking their heads in the sand, mostly off the back of economic forecasts that, so far, keep being confounded. Yet you do your own head-burying when it comes to real issues of EU financial instability (usually trying to divert with a personal dig at the poster raising them), and the stated aim of a federal Europe with (and even a 'numpty' can work this one out) Germany pulling most of it's strings.

By the way, with regard to your CNN reference,  I could use your tactic of dismissing the source (CNN doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for impartiality). But I expect the economists interviewed were genuine in their beliefs and attempts to second guess the UK government. PM May's government have their own economic advisors, of course.

You see Han, I give you an entirely rational statement and you choose to try and put me down. Why?

I do indeed accuse Brexiteers of being poorly informed, naive even. The education issue drops out directly from statistics.

The Euro problems are correct and need urgent attention. The difference with me is that I have no sense of schadenfreude.

As far as Rock is concerned? Bonkers!

I was just listening to CNN and just reporting what I heard. I happen to agree that May was misguided in stating March 17. I agree that after the elections would have been better for the UK. Does she care is the question!

So, I'll try again, and this is the best I can do, using the pop-up "quote this" method of quoting:

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Not interested. You keep telling us you've accepted brexit, then you show us you haven't with nearly every post you make ("But.....but.....I just want to see more consultation (with bodies that want to block brexit)"  :laugh:.The whole country knew what was going to happen either way following the vote.

You may not be interested but we are, so...

you said, "

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

It was a referendum the result of which the government stated it would abide by.

and I asked where it was enshrined in law, so...?

Optionally you could claim that you were mislead, which path do you want to go down? Now aafle and diversions now!

And my reply was:

So there we have it, chiang mai wants rule by law (but only where brexit's concerned).

Most of the remainers are, to a large extent, boorish one-trick-ponies who are unable to properly discuss anything that isn't a part of the remain script, and often resort to the insults detailed in the above quoted post to get out of doing so.

Too much irony in one post.

Say's the guy whose modus operandi is to frame everyone else's opinions using his own words (i.e. purposefully misinterpret them) ... in order to denigrate them.    

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

That's a bit unfair. He never had the plot in the first place! :cheesy:

1 hour ago, SgtRock said:

Changers.

Here is a great example of the high level of intelligence of your typical remoaner ( Check who liked the post for confirmation )

Post 1495

UK unemployment at an 11 year low, surely great news ?

No, not quite

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/oct/19/markets-uk-unemployment-wage-growth-brexit-report-business-live

Part time work = Increased welfare spending through in work benefits.

I'd be quite happy to have an intelligence test next to you. The fact of the matter is that there are more people in work in the UK than there has ever been ... despite the influx of migrants. Some of the migrants undertake essential seasonal work, work that on the whole the average Brit shuns (whatever the wage). Hardly surprising that there is a lot of part-time work as there are plenty of people who have to work around children at school or because they attend college. Not to mention older people that want to ease their way into retirement. All in all, good news and confounds that argument about migrants pilfering jobs ... the usual cry from closet racists. 

The Brexit supporters on here correctly point out how well the UK economy has fared ... but fail to acknowledge that this has occurred within the EU. 

34 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You see Han, I give you an entirely rational statement and you choose to try and put me down. Why?

I do indeed accuse Brexiteers of being poorly informed, naive even. The education issue drops out directly from statistics.

The Euro problems are correct and need urgent attention. The difference with me is that I have no sense of schadenfreude.

As far as Rock is concerned? Bonkers!

I was just listening to CNN and just reporting what I heard. I happen to agree that May was misguided in stating March 17. I agree that after the elections would have been better for the UK. Does she care is the question!

Disappointing response that, Grouse. I just gave you some honest answers in a straightforward way. Which you, of all people, should appreciate!

You just repeat the same nonsense, which is, in essence, that brexiters are fools.

You cant seem to comprehend that the EU's problems aren't going to be addressed until it is too late. Can you provide one decent example of where they have even started to be addressed?

And there you go again with the diversionary personal insult toward Sgt Rock, instead of making any attempt to address the 100% valid concerns he raises.

PM May and her government have their own expert advisors and their own strategy, which they are wisely choosing to keep close to their chest at this stage. Different experts aren't a party to that strategy and have a alternative views of timing, amongst other things.

I must admit, I'm a bit dismayed by your dismissal of PM May. In my opinion, she's been sure-footed so far in extremely trying times, and is behaving as a PM of the people. No doubt this opinion will enrage you. I assure you, I'm not a natural Tory: I was stauch Labour until that aberration Blair (an utterly insincere  man, correctly identified by John Major as far more right wing than himself)  got the leadership. After which, I became disillusioned with party politics, and became far more interested in the personalities. But I digress.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Disappointing response that, Grouse. I just gave you some honest answers in a straightforward way. Which you, of all people, should appreciate!

You just repeat the same nonsense, which is, in essence, that brexiters are fools.

You cant seem to comprehend that the EU's problems aren't going to be addressed until it is too late. Can you provide one decent example of where they have even started to be addressed?

And there you go again with the diversionary personal insult toward Sgt Rock, instead of making any attempt to address the 100% valid concerns he raises.

PM May and her government have their own expert advisors and their own strategy, which they are wisely choosing to keep close to their chest at this stage. Different experts aren't a party to that strategy and have a alternative views of timing, amongst other things.

I must admit, I'm a bit dismayed by your dismissal of PM May. In my opinion, she's been sure-footed so far in extremely trying times, and is behaving as a PM of the people. No doubt this opinion will enrage you. I assure you, I'm not a natural Tory: I was stauch Labour until that aberration Blair (an utterly insincere  man, correctly identified by John Major as far more right wing than himself)  got the leadership. After which, I became disillusioned with party politics, and became far more interested in the personalities. But I digress.

OK, let's keep talking!