Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

3 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

"When will people start accepting what happened. The referendum has gone, done and the leave won. Fact. Please start accepting it. The PM Theresa may has said it again. Brexit means Brexit."

- unfortunately no-one knows what Brexit means.

:passifier:Thank you for making me chuckle.

Brexit means:partytime2:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Loeilad, I don't want to be seen to have a go at you but do you not think or believe that the British people or any other EU country needs to be told what it can and can't do. The British people are proud. This has been mentioned many times. The EU is not what it was originally set up for. It is a total complete lie. the Brexit vote will be looked upon the exact opposite of your belief. It was the catalyst for the downfall of the corrupt, one size fits all 'club' that dictates what countries can do and erodes the countries identity. it then tells it what is can make and do. In 50 to 100 years time it will be celebrated like the American independence day.

I have to say that your statement would do a 12 year old school kid proud, but it fails to have a real grasp of reality and appears to be based on nebulous national;istic concepts..- pide - for one.

You need to be aware of the the pitflls of such things as governments who base policies on "national pride" - we call them "Nationalists" and they have been nothing but a source of misery throughout history.

If you need to be prooud of something try this - "I'm a European and proud of that".

Here is a Brexiteer admitting that rrade deals are going to be difficult after Brexit......none of this is good for the pound and in the end the British public.

-david-davis-agrees-that-businesses-face-cliff-edge-threat-

"Earlier this month, business leaders – including the CBI and manufacturers’ body the EEF – wrote an open letter to ministers, making a plea for barrier-free trade with Europe to be preserved."

So free movement of the people is going to stay

4 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

I have to say that your statement would do a 12 year old school kid proud, but it fails to have a real grasp of reality and appears to be based on nebulous national;istic concepts..- pide - for one.

You need to be aware of the the pitflls of such things as governments who base policies on "national pride" - we call them "Nationalists" and they have been nothing but a source of misery throughout history.

If you need to be prooud of something try this - "I'm a European and proud of that".

I am British and proud, never will or have called myself European. Where exactly in Europe where you born? Well at least you have 26 other countries for now who may accept you as a European. As for the British, one less European won't hurt us.  In fact it is that exact mentality that has put the country in the mess it is in. Thank the stars the 'majourity' of those voted had the sense to see the EU for what it is. How can you want people from another country, culture and language telling you what to do.

33 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

Here is a Brexiteer admitting that rrade deals are going to be difficult after Brexit......none of this is good for the pound and in the end the British public.

-david-davis-agrees-that-businesses-face-cliff-edge-threat-

"Earlier this month, business leaders – including the CBI and manufacturers’ body the EEF – wrote an open letter to ministers, making a plea for barrier-free trade with Europe to be preserved."

So free movement of the people is going to stay

All the trade deals difficulties etc etc etc doesn't matter to me and many, many others who voted to leave the corrupt EU. It is about sovereignty and making your own decisions, controlling our borders and allowing British values and cultures to be reinstated.

Just out of curiosity as you mention you are European, do you know what that means? There is no European country.

As we are in Thailand I explained the concept of the EU to my Thai friends. They were in fits of laughter. They never consider themselves to be Asian or would allow some bureaucrats to make laws and decisions form another country. Neither would they allow this so called 'body of people' to tell you what you can produce or sell and to whom. They found the whole concept absolute farcical of which the EU is.

35 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am British and proud, never will or have called myself European. Where exactly in Europe where you born? Well at least you have 26 other countries for now who may accept you as a European. As for the British, one less European won't hurt us.  In fact it is that exact mentality that has put the country in the mess it is in. Thank the stars the 'majourity' of those voted had the sense to see the EU for what it is. How can you want people from another country, culture and language telling you what to do.

what exactly are you proud of, specifically what are your achievements pertaining to the grandeur of the British Empire besides having British parents?

53 minutes ago, Naam said:

what exactly are you proud of, specifically what are your achievements pertaining to the grandeur of the British Empire besides having British parents?

Arnt you proud of your heritage Naam? sad if your not .

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

Well having served my country I am proud to say. The fact the UK has been the bastion of modern civilization and helped shape many countries legal systems. The British people were instrumental in developing some of the great countries in the world today. America, Australia to mention a few.

The very thing that we are communicating on now and what most of us use daily the TV was from British inventors. I could go on and on.

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/technology/gadgets/7-great-british-inventions-changed-world

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/21/entrepreneurial-uk-10-things-britain-has-given-the-world

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/fiftygreatestinventions/50_greatest_inventions.pdf

So Naam are you not proud of your country?

28 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

All the trade deals difficulties etc etc etc doesn't matter to me and many, many others who voted to leave the corrupt EU. It is about sovereignty and making your own decisions, controlling our borders and allowing British values and cultures to be reinstated.

Just out of curiosity as you mention you are European, do you know what that means? There is no European country.

As we are in Thailand I explained the concept of the EU to my Thai friends. They were in fits of laughter. They never consider themselves to be Asian or would allow some bureaucrats to make laws and decisions form another country. Neither would they allow this so called 'body of people' to tell you what you can produce or sell and to whom. They found the whole concept absolute farcical of which the EU is.

Apparently your friends have never heard of ASEAN, AEC or even the USA?

It would seem I move in different more educated circles in Thailand than you.

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well having served my country I am proud to say. The fact the UK has been the bastion of modern civilization and helped shape many countries legal systems. The British people were instrumental in developing some of the great countries in the world today. America, Australia to mention a few.

The very thing that we are communicating on now and what most of us use daily the TV was from British inventors. I could go on and on.

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/technology/gadgets/7-great-british-inventions-changed-world

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/21/entrepreneurial-uk-10-things-britain-has-given-the-world

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/fiftygreatestinventions/50_greatest_inventions.pdf

So Naam are you not proud of your country?

Sadly all in the past - with a crippled economy, brain drain and no foreign trade, the chances of that continuing are greatly reduced.

29 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This European Citizen garbage is just being peddled to facilitate the transition to an EU Superstate.

People are Citizens of their Country of Birth. 

A passport is issued by a Country, not the EU.

Just now, SgtRock said:

This European Citizen garbage is just being peddled to facilitate the transition to an EU Superstate.

People are Citizens of their Country of Birth. 

A passport is issued by a Country, not the EU.

I couldn't have put it better myself.:smile: I am still waiting for a reply from the European.

Yes they all have but not one says they are ASEAN or AEC they are Thai. The USA? Hilarious so come on which European country are you from as you are European?

Yes they all have but not one says they are ASEAN or AEC they are Thai. The USA? Hilarious so come on which European country are you from as you are European?

Sorry only one country??? you think that is possible?

1 hour ago, Loeilad said:

But I, and many others do not regard ourselves as Europeans, but as English men,  Scots, Welsh men,  or indeed throughout Europe as French men,  Dutch men,  Poles and so on. That is one of the main points in the whole EU debate, for me and many others throughout the continent.  My national identity is being denied, and I am being told that I "am European", by a system which I did not elect and have no say in.

1 minute ago, Loeilad said:

Sadly all in the past - with a crippled economy, brain drain and no foreign trade, the chances of that continuing are greatly reduced.

No, or very little foreign trade ?

Guess who is responsible for that ?

Got it in one. The EU. Who mandated that only they have the authority to negotiate trade deals.

2 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Arnt you proud of your heritage Naam? sad if your not .

being proud of something to which one has not contributed is ridiculous. i have not contributed to my heritage, neither to my Swiss nor to my German heritage. shall i be proud that my Swiss ancestors managed for centuries not to be involved in wars? shall i be proud of German scientists, philosophers or poets? shall i be proud of incidents in Arab countries where i was complemented multiple times that "my people" murdered millions of Jews?

there are very few things i am proud of. one is that i managed to be a free man since i retired 26 years, 11 months and 21 days ago and last not least that i made the right choice concerning the lady i married 37 years, 11 months and 12 days ago.

:jap:

1 minute ago, Naam said:

could, should, will and shall you heard and hear from Brexiters who are and will still be discussing for a considerably long time future expected developments whilst pretending they are already reality.

Actually Naam

You Got that wrong. Will and shall have been very rarely used by any side.

If, could and should are just about the sole preserve of the remoaners. Just have a read of the press, or throughout this thread and it will hit you like a sledgehammer.

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

being proud of something to which one has not contributed is ridiculous. i have not contributed to my heritage, neither to my Swiss nor to my German heritage. shall i be proud that my Swiss ancestors managed for centuries not to be involved in wars? shall i be proud of German scientists, philosophers or poets? shall i be proud of incidents in Arab countries where i was complemented multiple times that "my people" murdered millions of Jews?

there are very few things i am proud of. one is that i managed to be a free man since i retired 26 years, 11 months and 21 days ago and last not least that i made the right choice concerning the lady i married 37 years, 11 months and 12 days ago.

:jap:

Naam in the past whether I disagree with your posts I have respected your views. Germany like the UK has made many mistakes but you can't be responsible for everything. I still feel that you should be proud of your country. After all they educated you and whether you like it or not have had an impact on who you are today. If I am honest I just feel like you have sold out to your nationality and country.

PS. not all German scientists, philosophers or poets were bad. Einstein, Brecht and Marx and Schweitzer would disagree with you.

16 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

Sorry only one country??? you think that is possible?

Once again which European country do you see yourself as. As SR has pointed out Europe is not a country. Same as the ASEAN they are group of countries. Your passport is not European, so how are you European. We all make mistakes it is admitting it that defines us.

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Once again which European country do you see yourself as. As SR has pointed out Europe is not a country. Same as the ASEAN they are group of countries. Your passport is not European, so how are you European. We all make mistakes it is admitting it that defines us.

Just to highlight the point even further

From today's Independent

Brexit vote sees surge in number of UK citizens seeking EU citizenship

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-surge-uk-citizens-seeking-eu-citizenship-a7371556.html

Somebody please enlighten me where you apply for EU Citizenship ?

Yes you are right there will be lots of tenants to fill your house so you can get your money. There isn't enough housing in the UK so don't worry. So why actually did these two dentists come to the UK? I will tell you. They  came for a better life and could make more money there than in there own country by far and some. I imagine when they came to the UK, if it was in the early days the free and then good education system was highly appealing. now it is in the gutter (state schools) due to the influx of migrants. The free health service also would have been appealing. Lets not forget, it was not your two Polish tenants doing the UK a favour, it was UK doing them the favour by allowing them in the UK, practicing their business and if working for the NHS getting equal salaries or if private charging whatever price they wanted too.

I understand your points but they were encouraged to come over by the NHS due to the shortage of Dentists (am sure we've all experienced struggling to get an appointment) so I'd say they were doing the UK a favour & rewarded accordingly. If there wasn't the demand, they would probably not have come over.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

we are European because we live or were born on the continent of Europe,whether they like it or not the British are European. The idea of a united states of Europe i find a good one, the states/countries don't lose their identity because of one roof over the house. Australians, so i'm told, identify themselves by their state first and are still Australians,similarly many Americans identify themselves by their state. Europeans are interlocked through history and economics and similar attitudes and behaviour.

2 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Just to highlight the point even further

From today's Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-surge-uk-citizens-seeking-eu-citizenship-a7371556.html

Somebody please enlighten me where you apply for EU Citizenship ?

As The Independent is now a "virtual newspaper" (online only), presumably you can apply in its fevered "virtual" imagination.

5 minutes ago, JB300 said:

I understand your points but they were encouraged to come over by the NHS due to the shortage of Dentists (am sure we've all experienced struggling to get an appointment) so I'd say they were doing the UK a favour & rewarded accordingly. If there wasn't the demand, they would probably not have come over.

Yes I agree to some extent about being invited but that situation should never off happened and the NHS should have trained enough dentists, so we didn't need to outsource.

6 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Sorry JB300

You previously said that they both had private practices.

Brought over or encouraged by the NHS. Jumped ship and opened Private Practices, made enough money to skip back to Poland and retire to live happily ever after.

I will not fault them for doing so. It just highlights how much the system sucks. 

The Government is reportedly considering making future payments to the EU to secure privileged access to the single market for City firms to continue trading across the continent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-smiffys-business-moves-leaves-uk-europe-hq-exodus-a7371956.html

Looks like we now have the 'Zirconium' brexit alongside the 'Diamond' and 'Gold ' brexits. I wonder if 'Topaz' and 'Nickel' will creep in.

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

we are European because we live or were born on the continent of Europe,whether they like it or not the British are European. The idea of a united states of Europe i find a good one, the states/countries don't lose their identity because of one roof over the house. Australians, so i'm told, identify themselves by their state first and are still Australians,similarly many Americans identify themselves by their state. Europeans are interlocked through history and economics and similar attitudes and behaviour.

Well we definitely disagree and the concept of a united states of Europe is awful. The difference you mention from the USA and Australia is that these countries are relatively new. Europe has thousands of years of traditions and cultures, the former only a few hundred years. Just look at the former Yugoslavia as an example and how that went. Trying to force a one cultural identity onto people doesn't work. the Irish, Scots and Welsh will tell you and that has happened over hundreds of years. The EU has tried to force this on the member countries over s few years. It is destined to fail and will.

The last few words in your statement are totally obscure. We as Europeans do not have similar attitudes and behaviours and it is because of this believe, the EU will fail. British people understood this and voted leave.

Archived