Living in Thailand without a Uni Degree, can it be done ?

Bonobojt

On 10/15/2016 at 11:05 AM, muzmurray said:

Your degree obviously did not teach you to spell.  ;-)

adjective

2. gilded.

If one spelling issue out of that festival of missing punctuation is all that bothered you, I'd say you are struggling too.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

If one spelling issue out of that festival of missing punctuation is all that bothered you, I'd say you are struggling too.

Nope, but nobody likes to get back work covered in red pen, better to correct a little and have the student learn, than correct all and have a disheartened student.

On 10/15/2016 at 11:55 PM, phuturatica said:

Ha! I'm glad I'm remembered! I'm still rocking the red/ginger hair! Glad you also thought I was a top poster! :D I should probably come on here more often but I'm super busy working and paying off a mortgage in the UK. Not sure about turning my life around?! But yeah I had to come back to the UK as my kidney failed and I needed to start immediate dialysis. Had a transplant in 2014 and now I'm trying to be a normal adult and get my life back on track etc. Still miss Thailand immensely! It will always be a place close to my heart! 

Hope you're well! 

Sorry to be OT but......

I also remember your posts & am happy to hear your doing all right now.

You were lucky too....many folks find a large health bump while in Thailand and are not as lucky as you were to get home

& be cared for.

Glad your doing good & wish you continued good luck  :smile:

On 10/5/2016 at 7:16 PM, denkiblue555 said:

There is some interesting and good advice on here, and also some slightly added rubbish.

You seem to know a little bit already about the basics of being able to live here, so ultimately it is up to you.

You are still young, and what would be the worst that would happen if you just came here and had a crack? Maybe you would just decide to return home after 6 - 12 months which wouldn't be that big of a deal as, if I remember correctly, you are living with the folks. Even this would be a great learning experience.

So, really it all comes down to your motivations and expectations. You have to ask yourself why you 'really' want to relocate here in the first place, and after that work out what your expectations are - where do you think a life in LOS would lead you in 2, 5 or 10 years. 

Aside from those here in retirement, most people can't afford to live the same way they would in western countries as the pay just isn't as good and then you get slammed with luxury taxes etc. I don't think it is a bad thing, but you have to be open to adopting the Thai lifestyle if you want to make a real go of it here IMO.

It sounds like you have the perfect job to allow yourself a couple of months at a time over here to do further research and that would be the sensible, safe option. I know nothing about kitchens, but as you are already working in one, gaining some recognisable kitchen skill which could open a few more doors may be worth considering - and coming here to try and meet people doing what you intend to do is probably the best way to find out regardless of vocation.

Get a degree, preferably in teaching. Find a job at a good school. 

On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 4:42 PM, JB300 said:

Think the nuance is that no money in the UK=State support, no money in Thailand=desperate times.

I'd say that's just two slightly different flavors of desperation.   There are lots of edible shrubs and grasses here... I see the indigenous people walking around and randomly picking up what I cannot tell is any different than one type of weed or the other, assuming they are going to take it back to their shack to make a tasty soup.   Probably more difficult to forage in the UK (unless you count the garbage.... whereas the UK probably offers better pickings).