Old Windows 10 Pro suddenly stopped working...

lostinisaan

Sabai dee?

Once, I've upgraded a school computer through a "genuine version of W 7", but a school idiot ( one of our computer teachers deleted it and put W 8.1 on that all in a sudden showed that it's not activated.

I knew that the machine would accept the W 10 Pro without filling in the CD key and started to upgrade it to W 10 Pro. ( With setting the date back) . All went normal and fine until it showed an odd message that something wasn't accessible and the START MENU wasn't working anymore. No way to get it back, some fishy online tricks with Command Prompt didn't do it...)

I remember that the same machine had the problem before ( now still running on 1577) and it fixed itself through an update, I'm not sure if it was the 1607 one... Here's the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

My question is would it work if I just give it the update ( through a MS webpage ("Get the Anniversary Update now) or would i just waste my time.

I'm not using this PC anymore,but I thought that it's got the digital okay and it should be worth to give it another try.

Would the anniversary update fix the problem?

I'd more than happy if somebody could point me into the right direction. Thanks a lot and for the working folks at schools a nice holiday. 

Cheers- 

Can you confirm that you have installed W10 (albeit without the Start Menu and the 'something' that wasn't accessible) and have successfully activated it?

If the above is the case, then to upgrade to 1607 should be doable. If i were you, i would go along the media creation tool path and try the upgrade that way; it may fix the earlier problems, but may depend on what the 'something' was that wasn't accessible. The default purpose of the MCT is to upgrade, but you can also do a clean install or download the ISO.

Media Creation Tool can be downloaded from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

If you haven't used it before, here is a link that explains it pretty good:

http://www.windowscentral.com/use-media-creation-tool-update-windows10 

Good Luck. And reset the system clock before trying this.

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Can you confirm that you have installed W10 (albeit without the Start Menu and the 'something' that wasn't accessible) and have successfully activated it?

If the above is the case, then to upgrade to 1607 should be doable. If i were you, i would go along the media creation tool path and try the upgrade that way; it may fix the earlier problems, but may depend on what the 'something' was that wasn't accessible. The default purpose of the MCT is to upgrade, but you can also do a clean install or download the ISO.

Thanks, I know all the media creation tools. The start menu worked well in the beginning right after the upgrade something must have happened. It's a 64 bit version and the same machine had the problem before somebody put a fishy W 8.1 on it with updates on.

It shows digitally signed ( as it was a few month ago, when I was still using it)  and all seems to be okay, the Windows button is just not accessible. That went away after the 1607 update, so I'll do that tomorrow and will see.

Thanks for the answers. 

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

OP, you must be the world's most unlucky computer user, because every computer you touch "someone" has broken it before you got there.

What a weird comment. I had W 10 on when I was still using it. Our computer teacher who's very inexperienced with technology put W 8.1 on and left the updates on.

And the thingy has no AV. Again a useless comment from your side. You really follow  my posts, just to make me look bad. But the <deleted> is you, believe me. 

You're doing that since a few months and can't access your old username just because you're doing such bs. over and over again.

Did you come up with a solution to the problem? Of course not, as usual. . 

5 hours ago, Chicog said:

Is it all OK apart from the start menu?

If so that is fixable.

https://mspoweruser.com/solution-start-menu-not-working-windows-10/

Thanks Chicog, I found that as well, but it didn't fix the problem. I had my wife with me who wanted to go home, so I'll look into it deeper.

I've got W 10 pro with the anny update and that should do the trick. 

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

OP, you must be the world's most unlucky computer user, because every computer you touch "someone" has broken it before you got there.

"OP, you must be the world's most unlucky TVF member because every post you write, you "somehow" discriminate a member of this forum here.".

11 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Got the W 10 pro with the anny update, should I still reset the clock? 

19 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

What a weird comment. I had W 10 on when I was still using it. Our computer teacher who's very inexperienced with technology put W 8.1 on and left the updates on.

And the thingy has no AV. Again a useless comment from your side. You really follow  my posts, just to make me look bad. But the <deleted> is you, believe me. 

You're doing that since a few months and can't access your old username just because you're doing such bs. over and over again.

Did you come up with a solution to the problem? Of course not, as usual. . 

The simple solution is to not let you near a computer, because the common denominator in all your computer related posts is you. Not that any of the problems are your fault, of course not. They are all caused by computer shops, computer technicians and computer teachers - all of whom know nothing about computers.

7 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

"OP, you must be the world's most unlucky TVF member because every post you write, you "somehow" discriminate a member of this forum here.".

Not sure how you think I am discriminating against anyone? I post on many threads - and I can only post in response to what the OP has written.

19 hours ago, Chicog said:

Lostinissan no-one is discriminating against you, the evidence is all across this forum, you are the Master of Disaster!

:tongue:

The 1607 update finally worked well. Thanks for the flowers. 

The Master of Disaster. 

On 10/6/2016 at 7:45 AM, chrisinth said:

If your install is activated, why live in the past?.......................;)

Sorry. was a useless question. Finally works well after two attempts. First set up stopped at 35 %, the second one did it.

Thanks. 

23 hours ago, Chicog said:

Lostinissan no-one is discriminating against you, the evidence is all across this forum, you are the Master of Disaster!

:tongue:

You're a little bit unfair now. I've seen some posts from him that helped me to solve my problem(s) on my PC. 

PC works well and I'd like to thank Chicog for her nice words. 

Calling me Master of Disaster after upgrading about 50 PC's and notebooks, including fixing very serious soft and hardware issues doesn't seem to be fair.

But if that makes you happy, it's okay for me. I've just done the fix because I was so bored sitting around all week at school and had nothing else to do. 

School PC after new upgrade October 2016.png

3 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

You're a little bit unfair now. I've seen some posts from him that helped me to solve my problem(s) on my PC. 

Don't worry. He's the Master of Computer Technology on TVF. 

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

What you fail to mention is that almost all of the problems you solve are of your own making.

:thumbsup:

People who don't try new programs will never make a mistake. I've tried a lot of programs,. learned a lot and an now able to differentiate what's good and what not.

Of course will you not post threads like some of mine when you bring your machine to a superb computer shop in this country. 

"Almost all" is a questionable' one. Do you remember the problems with the 1607 update many people had? 

And the no driver available, etc.....before that? And this particular thread has nothing to do with me, because a Thai computer teacher decided to put a weird W 8.1 version on that wasn't activated. 

As already mentioned, I just did it because I was bored. And it works well now. 

And please be honest. You usually learn the most by making mistakes...... PEACE.      

19 hours ago, Chicog said:

Actually I learn a lot by being on the Insider Preview fast ring...

Chicog, I really like your posts. But you should understand that computer hard and software is only a hobby for me, not my life.

I've learned all by doing and i think I'm okay in this field. There're other things in life that matter to me. 

On Wednesday, October 05, 2016 at 7:39 PM, lostinisaan said:

Sabai dee?

Once, I've upgraded a school computer through a "genuine version of W 7", but a school idiot ( one of our computer teachers ) deleted it and put W 8.1 on that all in a sudden showed that it's not activated.

17 hours ago, Chicog said:

But surely you should have learned by now that rule number one is don't fiddle....

:thumbsup:

This time a "school idiot" did the fiddling - lostinisaan was just trying to fix it.

Give him a break!   tongue.gif

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

This time a "school idiot" did the fiddling - lostinisaan was just trying to fix it.

Give him a break!   tongue.gif

I wasn't trying to fix it. I fixed it. BTW, you do not seem to be very familiar with local computer teachers and their knowledge regarding computer technology.

They wouldn't even touch a Windows 10 installation, including all the computer shops in the area.

9 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

I wasn't trying to fix it. I fixed it. BTW, you do not seem to be very familiar with local computer teachers and their knowledge regarding computer technology.

They wouldn't even touch a Windows 10 installation, including all the computer shops in the area.

But on one of your earlier topics you said "He knew that I made all, but thought Advice would find the "problem" that never was one in a sec, but after 20 minutes trying different things, they told him that he'd need  anew W 10 program. He left the notebook there and it came back in a way that i wanted to throw up. They must have used a crack to activate it "

So your local computer shop does "touch" a Windows 10 installation.

You seem to make a lot of stuff up, whatever makes you look faultless, whatever can shift the burden of blame.

2 hours ago, muzmurray said:

But on one of your earlier topics you said "He knew that I made all, but thought Advice would find the "problem" that never was one in a sec, but after 20 minutes trying different things, they told him that he'd need  anew W 10 program. He left the notebook there and it came back in a way that i wanted to throw up. They must have used a crack to activate it "

So your local computer shop does "touch" a Windows 10 installation.

You seem to make a lot of stuff up, whatever makes you look faultless, whatever can shift the burden of blame.

I swear that I didn't shoot no deputy. That was about a notebook, but the thread is about a PC. Gossshh.

So you just took some pieces from another thread to make me to a liar? Great guy.

All  I wrote is easily to proof, what about your words?   

You failed the Sheriff examination.  I shot the Sheriff , but I didn't shoot no deputy, La, La..You seem to be Sheriff Johnn Brown..

Archived