Siam, Silom, Sukhumvit street markets shut down

webfact

Opposite Siam Square and center (siam square area) was downright dangerous. Could not walk through the narrow space because of the vendors(not poor either) so have to walk on Rama 1 and take your life in your hands among the Taxis,tuk tuks,motorbikes and potholes!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, eldragon said:

Why don't they put the vendors in the street and let the pedestrians have the sidewalk? Then the hawkers will know it feels to have a bus or taxi zipping behind them while they're trying to get around someone or something.

Silly comment. Waste of bandwidth.

It’s all part of the colour in Bangkok Street food stalls are grate. But I am not so keen on the ones selling brick a brack and junk trinkets, or clothes not really a place to be trying on jeans or shorts on the pavement behind a sheet. Needs a bit of control and sensible sharing between pedestrians and stall sellers if all the sellers go pavements are just another high speed lane for motorbikes, so no benefit to pedestrians, we need some stalls so we can walk on the pavements.       

7 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

I'm all in favour of this.

These hawkers aren't selling anything you can't get in a million purpose-built facilities.

I don't see why thousands should be inconvenienced because one vendor or family wants to make a living.

The bulk of the complaints against them have been made by Thais in an increasingly overcrowded city.

Thankfully, the opinions of a few farangs who can't stand the thought of Bangkok becoming more modernised and who need something to gawp at probably didn't figure in the municipal authorities' decision

This really is the crux of the matter, isn't it?

The same "only my individual rights matter" mentality is perhaps best epitomized by the all-too-common sight of some schmuck pushing his food cart down a major traffic artery and causing traffic to back up for several kilometers.

At some point Thailand has to decide whether it wants to join the developed world or not.

8 hours ago, Patanawet said:

I also question your assertion that 'the bulk of complaints are made by Thais' (reference please). The lunchtime customers in Silom were mainly working Thais getting their lunch.

Yet the first area that was cleared out was in front of Mo Chit BTS, where it's 95% Thais waiting for the bus. And there are other mostly Thai areas that are getting cleared out since then.

6 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Silly comment. Waste of bandwidth.

Why don't you share your great plan with all of us?

I'm okay with them taking up the interior side of the footpath, but when it's the street side too things get to be ridiculous. Give em a few centimeters and they take a meter. 

3 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

A compromise would be nice. I do like the atmosphere street markets bring, but when they are taking up all of the pavement and causing chokepoints for pedestrians at busy times then yeah, it does get old. 

Exactly.  They have been taking the piss for years.  A clear up has been coming for a long time.

20 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

There is a huge vacant block on Sukhumvit Soi 7 where the old seafood stalls used to be.  Dismantled years ago and nothing has happened since  they could have left the stalls going for many more years.  Since it has been vacant for such a long time and in an ideal location, why not have the stall holders ply their trade there, off the footpaths and still in easy reach?

I believe the seafood site was bought by "Amari" as well as the shops across the road for their expansion program.

The Soy 7 beer garden opposite The Park Hotel is to be demolished in the next 12 mth

for the same reason.

It started with the banning of street elephants and then placing poles on the foot paths so those maddening food carts were stopped from completely choking the sidewalk and now finally banning it all and handing the sois back to the people. Thais are intitled to a clean modern city and process is under way and long overdue

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

On 7-10-2016 at 6:21 AM, jerojero said:

A little room on the sidewalks ain't a bad idea. Now stop the idiots driving motorbikes on sidewalks!

Or stop the idiots who drive on the roads in superbig cars so the motorcycles can also drive there.

It is funny how the traditionalists that love everything Thai and swear that Thailand isn't a third world country also fight to preserve the things that are indicative of a third world country. It is time to move the dildo shops to designated areas to ease congestion. 

On 7 October, 2016 at 0:57 PM, gdgbb said:

It is not a vacant block, it is occupied by the family that lives in the property and owns the land that the property is located on, nothing to do with BMA.

Thanks for the information, I certainly did not know that.  I was offering a solution to what everyone sees as a problem .

On 08/10/2016 at 5:07 AM, hansron said:

I believe the seafood site was bought by "Amari" as well as the shops across the road for their expansion program.

The Soy 7 beer garden opposite The Park Hotel is to be demolished in the next 12 mth

for the same reason.

You believe wrong.

Nobody talks about it , but the people selling stuff , it was their job .That it was a hassle to get through , yes i agree , but if you changed side of the road , no problem . Saying people can buy it somewhere else so they have got more job is simply not correct , because it will be spread out allover ( or forbidden stuff in the 1st place ) . The stalls started late afternoon and ended nighttime and after there were drinking stalls , it was part of BKK ( and a part that i liked ).

They better should have regulated it . like table not bigger then this or that , and maybe every 2 days , changing side of the road .

Nobody talks about it , but the people selling stuff , it was their job .That it was a hassle to get through , yes i agree , but if you changed side of the road , no problem . Saying people can buy it somewhere else so they have got more job is simply not correct , because it will be spread out allover ( or forbidden stuff in the 1st place ) . The stalls started late afternoon and ended nighttime and after there were drinking stalls , it was part of BKK ( and a part that i liked ).
They better should have regulated it . like table not bigger then this or that , and maybe every 2 days , changing side of the road .

It can't be regulated because the stall holders are greedy grubs who will always inch out day by day until there is only enough room for 1 person to pass in peak hour
Good ridance!!!

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

It can't be regulated because the stall holders are greedy grubs who will always inch out day by day until there is only enough room for 1 person to pass in peak hour
Good ridance!!!

Euhm , they can make them go away , but cannot tell them how wide and which days they can be there ?  Since police/army checks if they are not there , They can also walk a few times a day to see if somebody is using wrong table ( size ) or is on the wrong side of the road or on the wrong day . It is just the same , but requires just a bit more action ( which can be taken care for since they can put a licence/tax on it ) .