Thai/nz mother having a baby in Thailand

Kiwithai32

I am a Thai New Zealander and am currently living/working here as a Thai national. my baby is not due till February, but I need advice now. I want to claim on my social security, but will this be possible if I listed myself as a New Zealander on the birth certificate? And if I am listed as a Thai national, can my child still have New Zealand citizenship by decent? 

Yes if you were born in NZ then your child can be automatically' a citizen by descent' but if you are a NZ citizen by descent then it is not automatic and must be approved. Your best bet is to go home and have the baby and that way it will be a New Zealander automatically.

Hope that helps.

Go to the NZ Immigration website...it is very comprehensive and helpful.

If you decide to fly back to NZ - decide quickly!!

Once the pregnancy gets to 6 Months (varies with each Airline), you may have complications in being allowed to fly.

This happened to the now-ex back in 1995. 

We ended up getting onto a Singapore Airlines flight, which had the most flexibility wrt pregnancy-and-flying,

as she was over the limit for any other airline at the time.

The New Zealand Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

Street Address M Thai Tower, 14th floor, All Seasons Place, 87 Wireless Road, Bangkok Postal Address PO Box 2719, Bangkok 10500 Telephone +66 2 254 2530 Fax +66 2 253 9045 Email [email protected] Web Site http://www.mfat.govt.nz/thailand Hours Mon-Fri 0800-1200, 1300-1630 hrs

Had to contact the Embassy via email a few years ago re-visa for father-in-law, they were extremely efficient.