Tyres - Width more important that diameter.

AllanB

We have had our Honda Wave for nearly 7 years now and it is still a great workhorse, then a few months back I picked up an 8/9 year old Fino for 7k baht, spent 1500 on it and started using it.

From then on the Wave was left unused due to the comfort and ease of use of the scooter, the stability was much better too, especially on rutted roads.

Well the Fino was bought for my stepson and his GF and a few days ago she came to pick it up, leaving us to revert back to the Wave. The Honda now seemed much worse in comparison and not a nice place to be, with my little Lifan dirtbike completely unaffected by ruts and undulation, we even tried to use the Lifan for shopping.

We already had the wider tyre on the rear of the Wave, after the previous tyre gave up the ghost, but I then decided to upgrade the front too and it has improved things a lot. Comfort is a little better, but the ride over ruts and undulations has improved the stability a lot, the best 550baht (including the tube) I ever spent.

Conclusion:-  Fat is good! 

Edited by AllanB

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the tire ratio; a short and fat tire obviously gets the job done since most new scooters are going that way here.  I'd prefer a bigger diameter since there are lots of flooded streets and potholes but have had small and fat tire bikes before and now.  You really want both a fat and tall tire.

Today I saw an older blacked out CBR250 with really fat knobbies.  At first I thought it was a modded CB500X until I looked again. It was pretty mean looking.

• 2 weeks later...
Oddly, the Thais like to put skinny little bicycle tires on them with colored rims and pull the exhaust baffling out. This makes them loud like a garbage truck and it looks cool...:thumbsup:

I always laugh when I see them with bicycle tryes...the reason is to reduce weight which gives them improved acceleration.
And "loud pipes save lives"
+ amulet = invincibility.

In recent years the fat tyre look has become popular. You see quite a few Honda waves with wide rim and fat tyres.
You get much fewer punctures and better pot holing ability with fatties.

Is there a tradeoff in terms of fuel economy? Not that it matters much to most people whether they get 45 vs. 50 km/l! Just guessing that a wider tire will have a larger patch in contact with the road, which will translate to more grip but also more friction and lowered km/l. And on the flip side, those "bicycle tires" should improve a bike's fuel economy - less rolling resistance, less drag, less weight, etc. But again, this is all conjecture.