be wary of bank workers who may shortchange you

boomerangutang

I went to my bank, <major Thai bank>, the other day.  I withdrew Bt.45,000 for a used car purchase.   A tall effeminate young man working there motioned me to sit at his desk.  We filled out the form.  He counted money and passed it across the desk top to me.   I saw a single 500 baht note sitting on top of a stack of 1000's.   I didn't reach for the money, but instead looked at him and said, "why is there a single 500 on top?"   He grinned and took the stack of money, took off the 500 and replaced it with five 1000 baht bills.  I didn't smile.  I probably should have reported the mistake to his superior.  Bank workers are drilled in how to count money.  Trying to pass off Bt.40,500 as 45,000 is not a dumb mistake. It's very likely intentional.   

I'm mentioning it as a reminder to anyone reading this:  count your money you get (as change, or at whatever venue), and don't assume a bank worker is honest.

Similar happened in the US.  I carefully (twice) counted out $2000 in fifties, while sitting in my car.  Then went in and gave it to a bank manager who was sitting at her desk - for deposit into my account.  She counted the money and claimed I was fifty dollars short.  I wasn't, but I couldn't argue with her.  I'm quite sure she deftly dropped a 50 (in her lap?) while counting it.  

However, if that "  tall effeminate young man"  had motioned you to sit on his lap that 4,500 Bt might have been well spent.  In the end you were not short changed as you were just too clever for him.

I just don't understand why you did not ask the bank manager back in the States to stand up and maybe do some jumping jacks or something as I'm sure that sneaky little $50 would have come tumbling down.

I was going to be a banker at one time but I just lost interest.

Man you go to far. Why was it "very likely intentional"? Please explain. Anybody counts there many before leaving the place. Very unlikely you can cheat somebody at a bank. Just doesn't make sense. It's not a go go bar where it's dark and many people are drunk.

I think it was just a a mistake. Thai people tend to smile if they make a mistake. Just a common reaction when they feel a bit embarrassed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

My story is true.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Interesting that no one posting thus far, agrees with my thoughts that he was intentionally trying to cheat me.

20 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

Man you go to far. Why was it "very likely intentional"? Please explain. Anybody counts there many before leaving the place. Very unlikely you can cheat somebody at a bank. Just doesn't make sense. It's not a go go bar where it's dark and many people are drunk.
I think it was just a a mistake. Thai people tend to smile if they make a mistake. Just a common reaction when they feel a bit embarrassed.

"Anybody counts there many before leaving the place."

I think you meant to write; "Everybody counts their money before leaving the place."

Not necessarily.  I'm a middle aged farang.  Maybe he thought I would just meet his smile, take the pile of money, put it in my wallet, wai and walk out.   Middle aged farang men have been known to do some hare-brained and impulsive things.  I was with one the other day and, just after eating a meal together, he got up and left his umbrella and book behind at the table.  I noticed, and told him. 

It's possible that posters here have been ripped off and not even known it.  The mark of an adept rip-off artist is to steal and the victim not even knowing she/he got taken.  One of the main things I'm saying here is:  beware (short for 'be aware').  

I've had many things stolen during my 18 yrs residing in Thailand.   There are many things/precautions I would do differently if I could turn the clock back.  If it's never happened to you, great.  

My ATMs never miscounted (I check it) :biggrin:

But some posters are insisting "I never use ATM, I always go to the counter".

Misreading 45000 to 40500 is indeed not professional, but making up general mistrust against bank clerks is also  over the top..

My story is true.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Interesting that no one posting thus far, agrees with my thoughts that he was intentionally trying to cheat me.

"Anybody counts there many before leaving the place."

I think you meant to write; "Everybody counts their money before leaving the place."

Not necessarily.  I'm a middle aged farang.  Maybe he thought I would just meet his smile, take the pile of money, put it in my wallet, wai and walk out.   Middle aged farang men have been known to do some hare-brained and impulsive things.  I was with one the other day and, just after eating a meal together, he got up and left his umbrella and book behind at the table.  I noticed, and told him. 

Yeah my auto spellcheck sometimes makes something else out of it without me noticing.

I have a tendency of blaming myself for not paying enough attention if something goes wrong. I hardly blame other people. That is the angle I came from.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Mistakes can be made. Years ago in the US a friend of mine cashed his paycheck. As he sat in his car counting the money, he discovered that he had a hundred dollars too much. He went back in the bank and asked the lady teller if she made a mistake. The lady immediately got angry and told him that he should have counted his money at the window and that she doesn't make mistakes. The next day he got a phone call asking if he received a hundred dollars too much. He replied that everything was fine and that the teller doesn't make mistakes. Yes, he kept the money.

On 10/9/2016 at 0:56 AM, Nickymaster said:

Yeah my auto spellcheck sometimes makes something else out of it without me noticing.

I have a tendency of blaming myself for not paying enough attention if something goes wrong. I hardly blame other people. That is the angle I came from.

I don't blame others if there's no basis for blame.  I do, however, suspect others of wrongdoing if their actions indicate that.  

Mistakes happen. They're human beings...not machines.
They handle money all day long. If it were true that bankers are out to steal money, banks / bankers would have a bad reputation ( probably similar to the Thai police )...however, they don't. So the vast majority is honest or at least very little mistakes happen.

7 hours ago, NiwPix said:

Mistakes happen. They're human beings...not machines.
They handle money all day long. If it were true that bankers are out to steal money, banks / bankers would have a bad reputation ( probably similar to the Thai police )...however, they don't. So the vast majority is honest or at least very little mistakes happen.

To use your words, "the vast majority is honest" ......that's probably true.  That still leaves a minority who may not be honest.  

The gist of what I'm saying in this thread is:  be aware.  Don't assume; just because someone is working in a bank and/or wearing a business suit, that it's not possible for them to cheat.

Archived