Lost in frustration: Lesbos at boiling point over refugee limbo

rooster59

Lost in frustration: Lesbos at boiling point over refugee limbo

606x341_346039.jpg

The EU-Turkey deal signed in March to stop the flow of refugees into Europe has turned the Greek island of Lesbos into a floating detention centre.

Some 6,000 migrants and refugees are now stranded there until their asylum claims have been processed. Most will likely not qualify, and face deportation back to Turkey.

Tensions with locals run high. Many have shown solidarity, but far-right activists are protesting loudly. Mayor of Lesbos Spyros Galinos says the island’s residents feel abandoned – as if both Europe and the Greek government had dumped the refugee crisis on them.

“I have long noted the dangers that this (EU-Turkey) deal entails, as it’s in essence caging people on the island, and this can’t go on. There is already a great deal of unrest among refugees, but also among the local community, which is concerned. There are also extreme voices, that are trying to stir it all up. That’s why we need de-congestion, as soon as possible – immediately, I would say,” Galinos told Euronews.

Some 5,000 refugees and migrants live crammed on the island’s largest refugee camp, in Moria – around twice its capacity.

The United Nations’ Refugee Agency has praised the Greeks’ efforts.

“In Greece we still see a high level of hospitality and understanding for the situation of refugees. Maybe because many Greeks remember they themselves or their ancestors have been refugees,” said UNHCR Greece spokesman Roland Schönbauer.

But both inside and outside the Moria camp, many are running out of patience. Last month, it had to be evacuated because of a fire, which some say was set intentionally. Previous fires have devoured centuries-old olive trees in nearby properties.

“We have embraced all refugees, all of them,” said Nikos Trakellis, the president of the local council. “But these people came here to improve their lives. They want to leave, but they’re trapped here. There is unrest among the local community, where will this all lead? This has to stop.”

Stavros Myrogiannis, who manages the nearby Kara Tepe camp for families and vulnerable refugees, chimed in: “We are enraged by the fact that some people have decided to drop 6,000 people in Lesbos, 3,000 in Samos, 3,000 in Chios and leave them there. This is no warehouse of souls, and nobody has the right to turn Greece and Lesbos into one. We, be it the locals or the local government, will never let this happen.”

Across Lesbos, locals have staged protests and scuffles have erupted, with members of the Greek ultra-right wing party Golden Dawn said to be involved.

“Even we, journalists, are experiencing extreme situations. There have been attacks against our colleagues during a demo of Moria villagers, but also when the hot spot caught fire on September 19,” said Anthi Pazianou, a local journalist.

In the port city of Mytilene, the capital of Lesbos, many say the island feels like a pressure cooker.

Our reporter on the ground, Panos Kitsikopoulos, said: “Mytilene residents are not rejecting their humanitarian duty. What they want is their island to be relieved from the serious strain it has been under for more than a year. But as they realize the central government is not taking action, their discontent is growing stronger — and so is the propaganda of a small, yet noisy, faction.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-08

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"“I have long noted the dangers that this (EU-Turkey) deal entails, as it’s in essence caging people on the island, and this can’t go on. There is already a great deal of unrest among refugees, but also among the local community, which is concerned. There are also extreme voices, that are trying to stir it all up. That’s why we need de-congestion, as soon as possible – immediately, I would say,” Galinos told Euronews."

"There is already a great deal of unrest among refugees.."

A few months ago I was admitted to A&E in agony. To cut a long story short, I was told I was being transferred to another hospital but it would take time. This was fine with me. While I was waiting, all around there were complaints about this taking too long and that not being good enough and eventually a nurse came to apologise about the delay. Hell, it seemed like I was the only one simply grateful to be out of pain, fed and with a clean bed, so I thanked her and told her not to worry about it.

I just couldn't believe the attitude of those other morons. The hospital were doing the best they could and all they got was carping. Just how ungrateful are people these days?

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

"......far-right activists......" 

Translation:   "Normal local people who are browned off with having all these migrants dumped on them".

Guess you missed the OP reference to Golden Dawn.

Edited by simple1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Guess you missed the OP reference to Golden Dawn.

".... Golden Dawn said to be involved. "

I'm sure everyone who is not a right-wing activist is absolutely ecstatic to have a few thousand economic refugees hanging around, starting fires because the accommodation isn't good enough and complaining about the quality of the free food. It's not like they are likely to start fights or do a bit of "after-hours shopping", is it?

Edited by halloween

2 hours ago, halloween said:

".... Golden Dawn said to be involved. "

I'm sure everyone who is not a right-wing activist is absolutely ecstatic to have a few thousand economic refugees hanging around, starting fires because the accommodation isn't good enough and complaining about the quality of the free food. It's not like they are likely to start fights or do a bit of "after-hours shopping", is it?

I'm sure you know Golden Dawn are a dangerous neo Nazi party. On Lesbos I sincerely doubt they have only been involved in the activity described below from the OP news link,,,

A small but bold contingent from the fascist Golden Dawn party infiltrated the event, where they chanted racist slogans and attacked several female volunteers who work with refugees.

There have been many reports asylum seekers are waiting for months on end in Greece in poor facilities whilst waiting for assessment  on their status, so no surprise tensions occur. Looks like yet again lack of coordination and appropriately funding for resources by EU member countries are contributing to the ongoing asylum seeker / migrant crisis.

22 hours ago, simple1 said:

I'm sure you know Golden Dawn are a dangerous neo Nazi party. On Lesbos I sincerely doubt they have only been involved in the activity described below from the OP news link,,,

A small but bold contingent from the fascist Golden Dawn party infiltrated the event, where they chanted racist slogans and attacked several female volunteers who work with refugees.

There have been many reports asylum seekers are waiting for months on end in Greece in poor facilities whilst waiting for assessment  on their status, so no surprise tensions occur. Looks like yet again lack of coordination and appropriately funding for resources by EU member countries are contributing to the ongoing asylum seeker / migrant crisis.

Solving the waiting period for assessment and the lack of funding is simply achieved. Deny all refugees access and deport them.  Application can be made in your own country, with valid passport as proof of citizenship, at any embassy or consulate, at your own expense.

Can you give any reason why the people of Europe should have to tolerate the unwelcome presence of these self-improvers, or pay for their upkeep and assessment? Don't you think the citizens of European countries would rather the national wealth be spent on improing their country's infrastructure and services than wasting it catering to bludgers? 

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Solving the waiting period for assessment and the lack of funding is simply achieved. Deny all refugees access and deport them.  Application can be made in your own country, with valid passport as proof of citizenship, at any embassy or consulate, at your own expense.

<snip>

Frankly you don't know what your talking about. Asylum seekers are usually not permitted to apply for refugee status from within their home countries. More to the point given many are Syrians you may like to identify exactly which Western Embassy Consular Sections are still operating in Syria - none?

I do agree Merkel made a grave error of judgement. However, do some research on facts e.g. the vast majority of genuine refugees are supported within underdeveloped countries, UNHCR only resettles less than 1% of registered refugees p.a., UNHCR is grossly underfunded by donor countries, deportation not possible without govt to govt agreements in place etc etc. If you're vaguely interested in info rather than ranting the URL below, whilst Australian focused, is a good starting point on the issue of asylum seekers

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1415/AsylumFacts

26 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Frankly you don't know what your talking about. Asylum seekers are usually not permitted to apply for refugee status from within their home countries. More to the point given many are Syrians you may like to identify exactly which Western Embassy Consular Sections are still operating in Syria - none?

I do agree Merkel made a grave error of judgement. However, do some research on facts e.g. the vast majority of genuine refugees are supported within underdeveloped countries, UNHCR only resettles less than 1% of registered refugees p.a., UNHCR is grossly underfunded by donor countries, deportation not possible without govt to govt agreements in place etc etc. If you're vaguely interested in info rather than ranting the URL below, whilst Australian focused, is a good starting point on the issue of asylum seekers

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1415/AsylumFacts

But what percentage are genuine refugees? By showing a humanitarian approach to refugees, a floodgate has been opened and economic migrants come pouring in. Do they care that they are overwhelming the system, or do they intentionally clog it by destroying their documents and claiming false refugee status?

Vast numbers are coming through Libya. What will they do if those refugees are repatriated by force - declare war on Europe? Make it plain to those countries profiting by the movement of migrants that they are coming back whether you like it or not, and they will soon stop them transiting their country, and with no chance of being allowed to stay, the incentive to try is reduced.

Then instead of processing refugees, part of the vast sums that is costing could be used to assist people IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

7 hours ago, Grubster said:

If your going to start a fight in your home country don't come running to mine when your getting your ass kicked.

Good point. Like why aren't all these refugees at home fighting for what they think is right. 

2 minutes ago, nausea said:

Good point. Like why aren't all these refugees at home fighting for what they think is right. 

Anybody got a razor blade?

May as well slit my wrists now.

Can't deal with these awful people anymore.

WHY NO CONVERSATIONS ON TV?

2 minutes ago, nausea said:

I'm pretty sure thats what you and I would do. Many of them being men and leaving their families behind, scum bags and we are paying for them.